Author Topic: Question about Marketplace rules  (Read 2235 times)

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
Question about Marketplace rules
« on: July 07, 2013, 02:29:17 pm »
so i'm just wondering about the specifics of the 5 post count? Are the 5 posts not required if you've been a member for a certain amount of time? Does SMF not allow posts if you don't meet the requirements or is snackers in charge of deleting the ads of members that don't meet the requirement?

i'm just wondering because of a recent ad by someone who has 0 posts but signed up in 2012, does the 1 year of membership override the post count?

I'm just curious on how this all works, not calling anyone out  :)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Question about Marketplace rules
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 03:19:19 pm »
SMF doesn't enforce it, snackers does. So it's kind of "does the post follow the rest of the rules and isn't a kijiji ad and run post?"
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline purdy

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 06 WRX SGM 2
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 03:32:38 pm »
If the person registered way back when, for example 2012, and doesn't have a single post (I'd hardly consider that a "1 year membership" with no activity in that time) then they're obviously just using WSC to sell and ditch. The rules are trying to limit this, it only makes sense then that the 5 post count would need to be followed no matter when registered.
-Adam

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:44:41 pm »
This is (slowly) being discussed among mods.
LDS is (sort of) correct, SMF does not successfully limit minimum post counts even though there are options for it. (They are currently enabled but SMF doesn't seem to be doing anything about it)

This has also been discussed in the past, in that some people don't see a problem with "random joe" coming in to sell parts they no longer need.
I also don't see a problem with this, as it's just another source for people to get cheap(er) used parts.
So long as the post satisfies the other rules of the marketplace, I don't think there's a problem with sell and ditch.
This is of course subject to buyer beware. Same as any other interwebs sales, there can be some great deals. On the flip side, someone with no post history on WSC is just like buying from kijiji. You don't know the person.

I suspect that the "5 post min" rule will be removed shortly. ;)
But a note to people with 0 post counts or those who have just signed up with the sole purpose to sell, that is no excuse for not following the marketplace post requirements. (detailed information, pics, contact method, shipping)

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »
But a note to people with 0 post counts or those who have just signed up with the sole purpose to sell, that is no excuse for not following the marketplace post requirements. (detailed information, pics, contact method, shipping)

I'd say the opposite is true, actually.

If 100% of the posts you're making on WSC are FS posts, you have _no_ excuse for doing them wrong.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:47:30 pm »
Yeah. What I said. ;)
that is no excuse for not following the marketplace post requirements.

The rules have been modified to remove that min post requirements, since they can't be controlled by SMF and don't really serve a strong enough argument to enforce manually.
More benefit comes from allowing more sources of parts.
Moderators will take care of those that don't do it with any respect for the forum.