Author Topic: 1997 Subaru WRX STi 555  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Dylan_Rae

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1997 Subaru WRX STi 555
1997 Subaru WRX STi 555
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:43:52 pm »
Hi

Just starting this thread to hopefully get some help/suggestions and for my own personal record.

Here are some phone pictures:

Here is the list of things I would like to do:

- Clutch fluid change (Old lid was broken and fluid has become dirty, where do I find slave cylinder to do bleeding and is there anything important to keep in mind during this process?)
- Working horn, airbag light off, and turn signal shutoff (Car came with a momo wheel that was supposedly OEM but I believe it is only completely compatible with 1998+. When I took it apart I discovered there was no clock spring and am having major trouble finding one that fits and finding a wheel with the proper airbag connector. If anyone can help me out as to where I can find a clock spring and wheel/airbag for a 1997 Subaru WRX STi it would be greatly appreciated.)
- Left/right shifter wobble. (Previous owner replaced front/back bushing. I installed the left/right bushing right under the boot (which was missing completely) but I believe the real problem is further down... Does anyone know the part numbers for the left/right bushings that are further down near transmission?)
- Right side fog light (Old light was a H3 12V 100W)
- Fan speed + Fan direction interior lights (Burnt out. Does anyone know the PN's for the bulbs in those locations and any tips for how to get at them?)
-  Fuel tank lid switch doesn't operate properly
- Body clips missing for trunk
- Antenna not moving up/down properly
- Proper interior mats
- Valve cover gaskets. Is  (Is $120 a fair price for the set of valve, spark plug gaskets, and the washers?)
- Passenger sideview mirror wobbles at high speed. Need new motor
- Install battery holder
- Spare tire
- New roof latch. Previous one is broken and roof vent is currently held together with wire. - New part ordered.
- Properly aiming headlamps and HID kit
- Tidy up wiring on boost controller, turbo timer, and boost gauge as well as move boost gauge
- AC is not cold when outside temperatures are hot (25C +)

Maintenence done:
- Oil changes every 5000kms with Rotella T6 5W40 (Due at 113 000km)
- Transmission and Front diff fluid change with Motul Gear 75w90 (Unknown time)

76650kms
- Rear main seal
- Exedy Clutch
- Fly wheel

77000kms
- Timing belt
- Water pump
- Cam crank seals
- Timing idlers
- Cooling system flush
- 11mm STi oil pump
- Acc. belts
- Front main seal
- New thermostat and gasket
- Block Heater

78000kms ?
- Spark plugs
- spark plug wires

105000kms?
- Front Brakes

108750kms
- Clutch Fluid
- Shifter bushings (Under boot and further down p/n: 35047AC030)

109000kms
- Valve cover and spark plug gaskets
Confirmed part numbers:
13270AA082 - Passenger side valve cover gasket x1
13272AA082 - Driver Side valve cover gasket x1
13293AA051 - Spark Plug Gasket x4
13271AA051 - Valve Cover washer grommets x12

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
Re: 1997 Subaru WRX STi 555
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:59:41 pm »
Sounds like you have a cool car! (pictures help )

$120 for the valve cover stuff sounds pretty good for the parts. If that's dealer price i would check with folks like Vex for a price comparison (likely cheaper ) and they typically have all those parts in stock

For most of the other parts you will see quite a few part outs around Alberta on Kijiji and WSC (even an RA on kijiji  for the roof scoop parts )

Welcome to Subaru ownership

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 10:44:52 pm »
I don't know how old you are or how your driving history is but $2300 a year for plpd is insanely high!! I pay $960 a year for plpd on my 2000 Foreste STI and I paid $995 for my GC8.

Offline SnowBreeze

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Altezza
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 03:45:34 pm »
Let's see some pics! I think this is my old car, i'm curious to see what it looks like now. I have a clock spring in the garage so you can get your horn working.

Offline Dylan_Rae

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 04:40:07 pm »
Hi

I'll keep my eye open for the part outs and shop around a bit more for the valve cover gaskets. I am going to call some insurance brokers tonight to see if I can save some money.

Interesting to hear this may have been your old car! Here is a picture from seller, hopefully we will have some warm weather this weekend for me to clean and take some more.

PM'ed about clockspring, would be awesome to get horn+turn signal shutoff working!

Offline Dylan_Rae

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:21:53 am »
Did clutch fluid last night at 108xxxkm. Clutch is noticeably firmer and more responsive.

To bleed clutch I removed intercooler to get at slave cylinder. Here is a handy video to do so: Slave cylinder is located directly below intercooler and the bleed nipple is on the back pointed towards to rear of the vehicle. Then I just proceeded to bleed clutch as usual.

Also, a big thank you to SnowBreeze (original importer of this car) for hooking me up with the clockspring and spare tire from this vehicle. Next step is hopefully we can arrange for a WSC courier and I can get my horn and turn signal shut off working (and hopefully airbag in the future).

Offline jakesubie

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1990 240sx
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 03:46:25 pm »
clean ride! i really like that blue.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 09:41:21 am »
- Left/right shifter wobble. (Previous owner replaced front/back bushing. I installed the left/right bushing right under the boot (which was missing completely) but I believe the real problem is further down... Does anyone know the part numbers for the left/right bushings that are further down near transmission?)

You can replace the stay (and i think you should anyways) under the driveshaft, but the real culprit is likely the u-joint in the linkage.

Im not sure subaru make the part anymore, but you can buy the bushings for it still and replace the rivited pivots with bolts after a little drilling. Look in this thread:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t58760-diy-shifter-wobble-fix.html
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Dylan_Rae

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 04:22:08 pm »
clean ride! i really like that blue.

Thanks! I really like the colour too. Still not sure what to do with wheels though. They are chrome underneath the white plastidip. The dip is beginning to peel and look dirty, so I am thinking I am going to redo the white or try something different. Any suggestions of what would look good?

You can replace the stay (and i think you should anyways) under the driveshaft, but the real culprit is likely the u-joint in the linkage.

Im not sure subaru make the part anymore, but you can buy the bushings for it still and replace the rivited pivots with bolts after a little drilling. Look in this thread:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t58760-diy-shifter-wobble-fix.html

Yup, it is definitely that joint under the car. Since I have already done the bushings under the shifter boot, I am hoping this part will get the shifter back to normal. I think I may be able to find a new joint used. Thanks for the info!

Offline jakesubie

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1990 240sx
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 04:51:47 pm »
i personally like the white. but would go for a permanent solution such as powder coating

Offline Dylan_Rae

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 03:06:13 pm »
Okay, shifter now feels as it should! The old joint had no bushings left whatsoever. Was a massive pain to knock out the spline pins but shifter is nice and tight now. Next weekend I am planning to tackle leaking valve cover gaskets.

While under the car I noticed one of my coilovers was leaking some type of grease. Is this sort of thing repairable or should I be looking for a new set?

Also, I picked up some proper carpet mats for the car (From sausagecat) and they look way better than the rubber cosco mats.

bigtimegambler

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 11:01:51 pm »
What brand are your coilovers? they may be serviceable. Alternatively, you could visit JDM Tuners or some other used parts place and see if they have a good set of used coils for sale.

Offline Dylan_Rae

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 08:43:47 am »
What brand are your coilovers? they may be serviceable. Alternatively, you could visit JDM Tuners or some other used parts place and see if they have a good set of used coils for sale.

My coilovers were described to me as "Rare Revo Stroke Gas Sport fully adjustable coilover suspension". I think I will just look for a new set as so far no one has heard of them.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Dylan_Rae

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 08:15:04 pm »
Update: Valve cover gaskets done, no more oil leak. Thanks to SnowBreeze (nick) for hooking me up with some parts the car used to have, airbag, horn, and turn signal shutoff all work now!

I was planning to redo the plastidip on the rims, but as I took the old dip off, I realized I must have misunderstood the previous owner as the rims were clearly not chrome. I ended up really liking the look of the rims without the dip and think I will leave it till I decide what I like better. Here is a pic:

What do you guys think? Like the new look or prefer the white? Also, does anyone know what the spare tire size is for this car?

Offline chico_kj_23

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1993 WRX, 2011 G37X, 2018 4Runner
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 08:53:39 am »
I liked the white look but would vote to keep them how they are now to avoid plastidip. If you got them powder-coated on the other hand..

Offline SnowBreeze

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Altezza
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 11:13:58 am »
Car looks good! I think the stock spare tire is 16". I wouldn't bother plasti-dipping them, i'd just leave them like this until you buy new rims!

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 11:37:50 am »
I like those rims.
Ill give you $200 for em.  8)
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Dylan_Rae

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 12:00:33 pm »
I liked the white look but would vote to keep them how they are now to avoid plastidip. If you got them powder-coated on the other hand..

I was thinking of powder-coating, but decided on plastidip because of cost and because the dip is semi-permant. Also, I don't really mind the look of plasti-dip.

Car looks good! I think the stock spare tire is 16". I wouldn't bother plasti-dipping them, i'd just leave them like this until you buy new rims!

Thanks! I am liking the look they give the car more and more so I think I am going to keep it the way it is for awhile.

I like those rims.
Ill give you $200 for em.  8)

Haha thanks! I think I am going to keep the rims but if I am ever going to sell I'll let you know ;)