Author Topic: sooo, crashed the bike on the weekend  (Read 3119 times)

Offline megapark

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2010 Hyundai Elantra
sooo, crashed the bike on the weekend
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:49:43 pm »
This means upgrade time, right?

Need a new front hub, and handlebars, any suggestions?

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
  • Ride: 2012 Subaru Impreza
Re: sooo, crashed the bike on the weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:29:04 am »
It would help if we knew what kind of bike you ride   8)

Offline megapark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:47:55 pm »
Apparently I hit my head as well as destroying my shoulder.

I ride a 2011 Trek Wahoo 29er. I was looking at United Cycles website today checking out their stuff, and decided I will not be doing Shimano stuff for a long time. Any thoughts on the SRAM equipment?

Offline Dutchy

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 Camaro SS 1le
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:24:47 pm »
Ouch!  Get race face or Easton handle bars and maybe a mavic front hub if they still make them. Other wise shimano xtr front hub. It's been a long time since I've had to buy hubs so I'm not sure who else has them or the newest model names are.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 07:48:20 am »
Apparently I hit my head as well as destroying my shoulder.

I ride a 2011 Trek Wahoo 29er. I was looking at United Cycles website today checking out their stuff, and decided I will not be doing Shimano stuff for a long time. Any thoughts on the SRAM equipment?

I personally prefer Shimano over Sram more so in the brake department. Easton makes a nice bar or a nice Ritchey.  What did you do that you have to just replace the hub ?

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:07:19 am »
I personally prefer Shimano over Sram more so in the brake department. Easton makes a nice bar or a nice Ritchey.  What did you do that you have to just replace the hub ?

That's what I was trying to figure out too.

Sorry I can't suggest any particular bars or hubs as I haven't had the opportunity to try different ones.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:39:13 am »
On the topic of repairing bikes, I've got a Trek 4900 that is about 14 years old and one of the front brake mounts got snapped off of the front fork (Rock Shox Judy TT). I haven't really looked into fixing it yet, but would I be better off buying a new bike or getting a new fork for this one?
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:26 am »
That would depend on if you can find a cheap used fork that fits. A new fork would be more than you would want to spend on a bike for that age, most likely. Also if you are looking at getting back into riding and hitting more serious trails, will the bike be up to it? Just something to consider, if it wouldn't be upt o it then I would look at selling and purchasing a new/newer bike that would be better suited. Hope that helps.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 07:12:04 pm »
I've got a new carbon riser bar that I never ended up using - I bought it from River Valley Cycle the same day they went out of business.

You can have it for $20.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline megapark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 09:23:09 pm »
I've got a new carbon riser bar that I never ended up using - I bought it from River Valley Cycle the same day they went out of business.

You can have it for $20.

When can I pick it up?

The reason for my going over was the hub would constantly loosen itself, which it did in the middle of the ride, front tire twisted, and over I go. I'm just sick of having to tighten it before every ride.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 10:19:06 pm »
When can I pick it up?

The reason for my going over was the hub would constantly loosen itself, which it did in the middle of the ride, front tire twisted, and over I go. I'm just sick of having to tighten it before every ride.

Where do you wanna meet?  I'm in the deep southwest.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 07:32:12 am »
When can I pick it up?

Hmm. not something you should be tightening repeatedly. If its a new bike I would bring it back into where you bought it and make sure the that the hub was assembled properly or that your tightening it properly . If your dead set on a new hub its probably cheaper to just buy a whole new front wheel, As the cost of building a wheel may exceed the price of a prebuilt wheel sold at any shop.   

Offline megapark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 05:48:50 pm »
Hmm. not something you should be tightening repeatedly. If its a new bike I would bring it back into where you bought it and make sure the that the hub was assembled properly or that your tightening it properly . If your dead set on a new hub its probably cheaper to just buy a whole new front wheel, As the cost of building a wheel may exceed the price of a prebuilt wheel sold at any shop.

I had taken it in a couple times with the same problem, they would set it to whatever it was supposed to be, then send me on my way with a $25 bill. I got sick of paying it, then just started to do it myself. I was averaging 20-30km between each tightening. This time it only lasted for 5km.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 07:24:45 am »
I had taken it in a couple times with the same problem, they would set it to whatever it was supposed to be, then send me on my way with a $25 bill. I got sick of paying it, then just started to do it myself. I was averaging 20-30km between each tightening. This time it only lasted for 5km.

$25 is kind of steep.. Any who like mentioned its probably cheaper for you to by a complete front wheel just a hub and rebuilding it