Author Topic: Cagare's 2009 STi  (Read 38275 times)

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
Re: Cagare's 2009 STi - Hot DAMD I can drive again!
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2013, 08:35:31 am »
Yar, sorry to derail.  My heart has a soft spot for first gen TSX's...  and that one looks tasty. 

How was Quarry Park and Polish?

No problem on not much of a derail.  I don't mind questions on other topics here and there.

Quarry Park and Polish was very large, and they had quite a bit going on.  Fairly well organized in terms of parking and events.  They had a go kart track going with younger kids racing, and a few other kid related things.  It was a pretty family friendly event. 

It may sound funny but I was unimpressed by the ferrari's at the event.  I think that is because of how hyped it was compared to what was there.  Don't get me wrong, they were all very nice, but it was missing a few key models I would have liked to have seen.  My favourite of the exotics was the Alfa Romeo 8c Competizione.

To be perfectly honest I was more intrigued with the muscle cars as there were a lot of interesting build/restoration stories that go with them.  It just made the car feel like it had more character.

Clean !!! Curious as to where you got your wheels from? Looking to get a similar set up

I ordered them through Vex as I wanted to order local if possible, and the pricing was comparable.  The Work Kiwamis are really nice and you don't have to get very aggressive on the fitment to get a deeper face on them.  I was able to fit 265 wide tires with a roll.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Cagare's 2009 STi
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2013, 08:18:12 pm »
Well, spent my day today on a few things including cleaning the air filter, ptp turbo blanket and a whole lot of DEI Reflect-a-Gold wrapping.

After reading about this on IWSTI (Here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/245621-diy-heat-managment-cobb-sf-intake-airbox.html) I decided to tackle this myself.  Before I did all of the work I took a 30 min drive on Saturday, and got the following air intake temps using the accessport:

Ambient Temperature: 57 F
Cruising Temp (50 km/h): 95-100 F
Stop Light Temp, 1-2 minute stop: 125-135 F
Standing 5 Minute Idle: 165 F

After all of the gold wrap and turbo blanket I went for a similar drive and got the following numbers:

Ambient Temperature: 60 F
Cruising Temp (50 km/h): 80-88 F
Stop Light Temp, 1-2 minute stop: 95-105 F
Standing 5 Minute Idle: 144 F

Was it worth my time and money?  That is certainly questionable and subjective.  The numbers speak for themselves, there is a reduction across the board for intake temperature.  A real comparison would probably need a dyno, but I did not want to spend any additional funds to justifying my previous spending.

Here are a few photos of the process.  Did not remember to take pictures at all stages, but feel like this is a good summary.

Cleaned the intake box first:

Completed Wrapped Intake Box:

Wrapped MAF Tube:

Intake box back in the Car:

Next up is the turbo blanket install, intercooler out:

Turbo blanket in after much swearing and a call to Assunta.  It seems I had it in my mind that I needed to wrap in around the turbo completely.  That was a frustrating waste of 60 minutes, possibly more:

Decided to gold wrap the inside of the heat shield while it was out.  I was able to re-install it over the turbo blanket, even though everyone said it was not possible. (it was previously modified to install aftermarket downpipe)

Saw a video on removing and installing the TMIC and it showed that removing the driver side TMIC support bracket gives a more room making it easier to re-install the TMIC.

Wrapped the bottom of the intake scoop for the airbox with the remaining gold foil tape.

Everything put back together.  I do like mods that you cannot "see" as I prefer to keep as stock of an appearance as possible:

Close up of the wrapped intake box.

It would have been a very short day if I did not continuously struggle with the turbo blanket, which seems a bit ridiculous.  I was hoping to get on my S204 side markers on today, but that is reserved for next weekend when I do the winter tires and coilover covers.

Next small project is 3M-Dinoc CF wrap the shifter trim similar to the photo below.  Going to save this project for the first weekend of crappy weather this fall/winter.  After I have done that I plan to try and wrap other parts of the interior but not go too crazy.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2013, 10:33:54 am »
Small Update: 

Took the car to Vex last week to have the Killer B pickup and oil baffle installed.  While they were doing that had them install Group N engine mounts and transmission mounts.  Well they had forgotten to put the transmission mount, and I only noticed this because the stock mount was not in my car with the rest of the stock parts.  They took care of it quickly at the end of the day.

The engine and transmission mounts are noticeably different over stock, and I kind of like the increase they have in NVH.  It feels like power is being put to the road quicker as a result of them, but that may be just because I have not been driving the car enough lately.  I have had upgraded shifter bushings for a few years, so no noticeable difference in the feel of the shifter.  Very happy with this upgrade.

The oil pickup and baffle are definitely a long term piece of mind item so no noticeable day to day feel in the drive of the vehicle.

Also, got the blacked out side badges mounted over a month ago just have not had the chance to post up pictures.  Will do that in the next day or two.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2013, 10:35:53 am »
While driving this morning I noticed my turn signal flashing rapidly.  Did a quick walk around and noticed my front drivers side turn signal is about to burn out complete.  Looks like it is time to upgrade the turn signals to color changing leds.

Just have to find a place in Canada to order these so I don't have to pay ridiculous shipping costs.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2013, 12:04:04 pm »
While driving this morning I noticed my turn signal flashing rapidly.  Did a quick walk around and noticed my front drivers side turn signal is about to burn out complete.  Looks like it is time to upgrade the turn signals to color changing leds.

Just have to find a place in Canada to order these so I don't have to pay ridiculous shipping costs.
Speak to Alex (username Alex). He did this last year.

Offline aleco

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2005 impreza wrx wagon,2002 wrb,nissan 300zx tt
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2013, 02:09:52 pm »
nice ride you have there with tasteful mods congrats

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2013, 11:04:38 am »
So my wife and I have ran into a bit of money this Christmas that we are very thankful for.  We have agreed that the usual priorities including paying off some debt, topping off investments and other items come first.  Before we do that we have agreed to each spend a little on something we would like but have not gotten yet because of the cost.

So, I am at a bit of a impasse on where to spend the money right now.  I have the following choices going on in my head in no particular order:

• Gauges: AFR/Oil Press/Boost with SMY Cluster and Vent Pod which is currently on it's way
  • Egual Length Headers - Been debating on EWG setup as well
  • Not car related but, Xbox One with a few games

Open to suggestions.  Also, been doing a lot of research on an EWG with the equal length headers and would be interested to hear thoughts here on that as well.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2013, 11:09:24 am »
The car enthusiast in me says you should finally take a leap and get the KLB headers. The gamer in my says you should get the Xbox One.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2013, 11:13:32 am »
The car enthusiast in me says you should finally take a leap and get the KLB headers. The gamer in my says you should get the Xbox One.

Yeah, was going to do the Killer B headers no matter what, was just debating on doing EWG or not.

If I had a choice, I would just do all three, but practical me will not allow that.  I am leaning towards Xbox One because it will keep me up at night so I can take care of the baby when he comes in February.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2013, 06:45:54 pm »
Are you guys planning on bottle feeding?  If not...  there isn't much you can do in the middle of the night without surgery and hormone therapy.  And even then, I don't think our medicine is there yet. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2013, 10:25:18 pm »
Are you guys planning on bottle feeding?  If not...  there isn't much you can do in the middle of the night without surgery and hormone therapy.  And even then, I don't think our medicine is there yet.

Very funny sir, yes we plan on bottle feeding at night so that I can feed and my wife can sleep.  She is going to prepare bottles every day for that night.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2013, 07:10:28 am »
As mentioned before.  my soldoring skills are available.  as is my garage..... at some point.  I have a bit of vacationing/girl chasing soon.

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2013, 02:32:14 pm »
So my wife and I have ran into a bit of money

http://globalnews.ca/news/1032826/soon-to-be-mom-wins-lottery-before-christmas/

same situation, different people.
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2013, 02:34:42 pm »
http://globalnews.ca/news/1032826/soon-to-be-mom-wins-lottery-before-christmas/

same situation, different people.

....hugely different amount of money

I wouldn't be pondering on what to do with that kind of a windfall I would likely just do it.  Good for them though!

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2014, 05:29:09 pm »
I heard a comment from someone on here today that I fell off the "bright/shiny grid".  So I thought I should do a quick update as it has been very quiet for me the past 2 months, being away and out of province for most of it.   Just a small update for today, more work likely happening in the spring.

Well my drivers side turn signal has burned out so I have ordered a set of colour change led turn signals from fastwrx.com and instead of ordering it with a new led flasher I was inspired by esp1818's journal post and instead ordered a tapturn flasher here.  I ended up ordering the strobe pack option...well...just because my amusement.

Regular Tapturn Example

Strobe pack example

Tapturn flasher came in a few days.  Still waiting on the bulbs, and hopefully will get that in as well as the hella horns before the next little bundle shows up in 3 weeks or so.  I would like to order more parts but I have a strong urge to control my spending the next few months for some reason.  So I will need to live vicariously through others over the next month or two.

On a side note, I also signed up for the Calgary Sports Car Club Winter Driving course at Ghost Lake.  Will be headed out there this Sunday, I believe a few people here have signed up already.  So I am sure I will see a few of you out there this weekend.  I am also likely going to post up for a wings night at the beginning of February before I go off the grid for a little while again in February/March.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »
I would like to order more parts but I have a strong urge to control my spending the next few months for some reason.

I have never felt the urge to spend as much as I want, as I do now.  And it all seems so...  affordable. 

Best of luck in the next 3 or 4 weeks! 

See you Sunday :)  Did we ever get a wife to share for the day?

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2014, 10:54:47 pm »
I have never felt the urge to spend as much as I want, as I do now.  And it all seems so...  affordable. 

Best of luck in the next 3 or 4 weeks! 

See you Sunday :)  Did we ever get a wife to share for the day?

No "wife" to share for the day.  "She" is being considerate and does not want to take away from our seat time.  See you on Sunday!  What time do you plan to get to Cochrane?

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2014, 06:47:47 am »
No "wife" to share for the day.  "She" is being considerate and does not want to take away from our seat time.  See you on Sunday!  What time do you plan to get to Cochrane?
Email me your school details. I'll try to come by, maybe sneak in some photos. No guarantee though.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2014, 07:52:09 am »

Hahahaha. Yeah, I don't want to cut your guys seat time, just because I didn't sign up in time. But have fun!
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2014, 12:56:42 pm »
Email me your school details. I'll try to come by, maybe sneak in some photos. No guarantee though.

That would be great if you could :) Totally understand if you can't.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2014, 01:24:08 pm »
Ordered a few parts the other day from Vex:

• Defi Red Racer Boost Gauge
  • Defi Red Racer Oil Pressure Gauge
  • Innovate LC-2 DB Red AFR Gauge
  • SMY Cluster

They were the best price I could find shipped to me from Canadian and American suppliers. 

Also, just received my vent gauge pod.  Here is a photo of it installed in someone else's car.  I plan to put the AFR gauge in this location.

Hope to install this along with the hella horns at the beginning of March.  After this I will have to slow it down till mid summer.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2014, 11:41:22 am »
when you get the chance can you let me know what gauge the wire for these sensors just in case we need to extend them? 

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 10:40:43 pm »
Gauges and their respective pods have come in:   ;D

Innovate LC-2 Wideband with DB Red Gauge, Defi Red Racer boost and pressure gauge, SMY Cluster and a SolidMod vent pod

Close up of Solid Modifications Vent Pod.  Good looking piece, waited a long time for it.  They will not be making these to make the 08-09 vents as they are not happy with the quality of the paint, and they have really high standards.

Going to try and get these in the car this long weekend with some help from canehdianJ

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2014, 10:54:42 pm »
Installed the Tapturn flasher as well as the LED signal bulbs the other night in canehdianJ's lovely heated garage.  That damn flasher location is a pita to get at, I had to drop the paneling of the lower dash to get my hands on it.  The turn signal bulbs were also a bit difficult for someone with large hands.  Glad the LED ones will last quite a bit longer, or so I hope.

Also, upon further reflection I have decided against going with equal length headers for the time being.  I will save that when I go for a different turbo in a few more years.  I just feel like I would be chasing small gains for too much money and have since re-thought this because when I do a turbo upgrade I want to do the whole system at once so I make sure everything will integrate well together.  So I think all that I would like to do now would be a lip kit for the summer months and other small things as they come up.  Aside from that time to take it a bit easy.

In the meantime, while I do not spend money on parts, I want to put the money towards learning to drive better. I am hoping to attend a few schools in the spring/early summer and hopefully participate in a couple of events per year.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatchback
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 11:49:45 pm »
Nice gauges, I've got the same ones, they're bright and easy to read.  Let me know how you install the wideband, I'm going to be installing an aem right away.