Author Topic: Brian's 2004 WRX  (Read 18615 times)

Offline yella

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2007 STI
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Castrol Road Course
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2014, 06:56:27 am »
Myself, a co-worker, and customer are all going to be coming up to a few of these this season! Sounds so fun!!
2007 Subaru STI Stage 3
Kal Tire Manager
Build Thread http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=40781.0

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatchback
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2014, 04:50:00 pm »
Myself, a co-worker, and customer are all going to be coming up to a few of these this season! Sounds so fun!!

For sure,  next event is this Wed June 11th.  I'll try to come out and not break my car lol.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2014, 05:13:58 pm »
Quick fix today.  The front left of the car was chirping and I had no idea what it was.  It sounded like a bird chirping, at random times.  So, I pulled off the wheel and the endlink was mangled.  It was just a matter of time with the 25mm  hotchkis swaybar.  So, found a cheap replacement on the wsc forums.  I used a 3/16 until it stripped lol then a 5mm allen key for inside the bolt and a 14mm wrench for the nut.  PB blaster helps.  Hopefully it holds until the Kartboys come in. 

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Stock Endlinks
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:36 pm »
Minor fix.  The father in-law said he heard an exhaust leak, which surprised me cause my muffler is 4.5 inches and it's loud,  So, I investigate and just like he said there is an exhaust leak at the downpipe flange.  Ran into JB's, bought a remflex 3" 2 bolt exhaust gasket for $9, 15mins to jack up the car and replace the sucker.  Honestly can't tell the difference.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Exhaust leak
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2014, 06:59:40 am »
Spring bolts are for oval gaskets on your OEM exhaust. Mebbe replace that flexible bolt joint with a more rigid one. After that, if it still leaks, some copper or high temp Permatex.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Exhaust leak
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2014, 06:55:57 pm »
It doesn't leak anymore but I'm going to replace those bolts.  I hate spring tension, that;s how eyes get fqcked and it looks bad.  Thanks for advice

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Tow hook
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2014, 07:19:44 pm »
Impulse bought a tow hook a week ago and it arrived today.  $60 from rennenmetal shipped.  10mins to install, wish it went farther out the back but so far at night I'm happy with the look

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Tomei Equal Length Headers
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2015, 08:43:00 pm »
Quick update:

I had 3 cracks on my header right before the collector and before the o2 sensor so threw me a p0171 fuel bank 1 lean code.  So I decided to go Tomei equal length headers and honestly I should HAVE done that sooner.  It's quieter, it's faster, it's smoother.  The boxer rumble is gone but the sound is still good and deep.  Power > Sound.  I had to change the oil pan to an sti version but not a problem. Installed by the good folks at First Gear Auto, they also did the group N engine mounts and tssfab swaybar endlinks.  The cars tighter and faster.  It sounds like a good time to test it out at the track.

Also I did the beatrush pitch stop myself while I was diagnosing the engine light.  Couldn't tell the difference just by adding the one part but probably helps the whole.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Tomei Equal Length Headers
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2015, 03:53:18 pm »
I have been considering going to equal length headers at some point in my car! The increased preformance, efficiency, and reliability sound appealing to me. Do you have any sound clips??

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Tomei Equal Length Headers / Uppipe
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2015, 08:37:05 pm »
No sound clips yet but I'll get up a video and pics when I can.  It's still kinda loud with the apexi gt catback but less now with the tomei's then the borla uel.

Side note:  At idle with the group N engine mounts installed, there is vibration/harshness I can feel in the seat.  Hopefully that goes away after I get some mileage on it.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2015, 02:39:08 am »
Is the motor healthy? Dont think i have heard anyone complain about the vibrations after installing grp N mounts.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2015, 09:41:04 am »
Is the motor healthy? Dont think i have heard anyone complain about the vibrations after installing grp N mounts.

At idle they do vibrate.
I just giggle every time and don't complain.
I have groupN all around and LOVE how direct the power is.
Vibration is a easy compromise for the performance benefits.
The slushing of the drivetrain drove me NUTZ.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2015, 01:14:02 pm »
It could be the ecu just learning the new headers??? Not sure, or the grp N mounts/ beatrush pitchstop settling in.  Either way the vibrations have subsided after driving for 2 days.  And I agree it's a small compromise for the performance benefits.  We've got a crosstrek for the easy driving. :)

I managed to get a video for sounds today.  Inside the car with and without windows down, under the hood and behind the car.  I placed the camera under the muffler then I though I don't want exhaust itshay falling on my phone lol so moved it a bit to the side.  This is after some spirited driving.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Clear Headlights
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2015, 01:07:46 pm »
Finally did the clear headlight mod.  I used these instructions.  http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384488
Super easy after you get over the fact your baking your headlights in the oven.

Before and After:

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2015, 12:19:11 am »
So last week the car starting slipping in the 5+ rpm range so I was forced to buy an exedy stage 1 clutch kit.  I already have a light weight flywheel not installed yet so I'm actually kind of happy this happened.  Pretty stoked to see how the new setup feels.  Soobnoob will have the honours and all the fun installing everything.  Also going to treat the subby to some new motul or redline tranny fluid. 

Super excited to try it all out, aside from the break-in.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2015, 12:22:27 am »

Offline Dano

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A few
Get ready for a bunch more noise due to the LW flywheel, and a bit of fun until you get used to the faster engine speed changes when shifting.

I have been very happy with the Redline fluid in my trans and rear diff, and I have around 180K MILES on my 02, and the "glass" tranny is still holding up fine, even with roughly 100 more WHP than stock.
'93 Prelude SI H23VTEC 11.6:1 M2B4, 12.93 @ 108.21 MPH.
'02 Subaru WRX HKS, Invidia, Volk CE-28N, lots of Sti parts. Great winter beater.
'06 RSX Type-S Bone stock - for now
'11 GMC Sierra 4X4 - pulls stuff

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX - Exedy stage 1 clutch kit + 12 lb comp flywheel *soon*
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2015, 08:34:11 pm »
How long was the break-in?  I can already hear my neighbors laughing, watching me drive out of the garage.

Offline Dano

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A few
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:25 am »
Break-in??? Muuahaha, drive it like you stole it.

But seriously, I didn't do anything special that I recall, maybe avoided downshifts for a couple of days, and it wasn't that bad to get used to. Just pay attention to your revs a bit more.

My clutch had been slipping pretty bad, so I may have had to recondition myself to get on the throttle once it was fixed slowly as well. I had only driven the car ~2000 miles after it started slipping. :o
'93 Prelude SI H23VTEC 11.6:1 M2B4, 12.93 @ 108.21 MPH.
'02 Subaru WRX HKS, Invidia, Volk CE-28N, lots of Sti parts. Great winter beater.
'06 RSX Type-S Bone stock - for now
'11 GMC Sierra 4X4 - pulls stuff

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2015, 11:55:56 pm »
First off I have only good things to say about Soobnoob.  Super chill and straight forward.  I wouldn't hesitate to call him back if I needed some work on my car and at a good rate too.  ;)

So car went under the knife yesterday, had the Exedy Stage 1 Clutch with a 12lb Light Weight Competition flywheel installed.  I have to say it has a very different feel to the stock setup.  With the stock setup I could start from a stop basically in as low an rpm as I wanted.  With the light weight flywheel I have to pay attention.  If I don't rev it up car chatters like hell.  Really it's like your experiencing an earth quake and your at the epicenter.  It'll stall a lot easier too.  I stalled reversing off his driveway, stalled moving forward after that, stalled at the 2nd light turning left with an arrow.  After about 5 tries I got it.  Also rev matching is now part of the game.  If I don't rev match decelerating car jolts.  It's all no biggie, it's just different. 

Would I go back to my stock setup over this? Nope, car accelerates faster and that's what I'm all about.  A few days to learn for a quicker car, totally worth it.

Secondly traded my wingless for an STI trunk.  I think it looks better from the back and at angles but straight from the side I like the wingless better.

Brian

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2016, 11:25:41 am »
Not much been happening with the car lately.  This is more of a blog entry then anything special.

The clutch is fully broken-in and feels close to a stocker again even with the light flywheel.  It holds all the power I can throw at it. It's also got a huge grabbing point so that's good.

I sold the STI trunk/wing just cause I felt it was too heavy.  It's probably not as bad as I think it is, but it just doesn't sit well with me.  It feels less flash with the shaved wingless too, maybe I'm getting old.

I bought a new thermostat, new brake pads and rotors, changed all the fluids and bought 4 new wheels and tires.  Went with value Rota Grid's and Nitto Neo Gens from Kal-tire.  So far so good.  Overall, the car's still running like a dream.  I was a bit concerned with the 5 speed and 300 whp but I'm amazed at how well things have held up.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Brian's 2004 WRX
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2017, 08:18:21 pm »
Sold...  Close please thanks
141000kms