Author Topic: 2013/2014 WSC Ski and Snowboard Thread  (Read 19802 times)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Re: 2013/2014 WSC Ski and Snowboard Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:04 pm »
http://www.snowboardcanada.com/glimpse

Sweet!

Favorite flicks so far this year…
Jake Blauvet: Naturally
Dopamine
Nike's Never Not
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 09:19:02 am »
A friend of mine goes to UofA and they are doing a trip to Marmot, which is also open to the public. Wondering if anyone on here goes to UofA and is going?

For those who are interested its $230 and that includes bus there and back, 2 lift passes and hotel. Which seems reasonable to me considering lift passes are like $85 a piece.  ::)

Date of trip is November 23rd and 24th.

Sign up and payment is made at UofA campus. Not sure where on campus but I'm sure they could direct you where to go once there.

Offline N3UBIE

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1998 STI Type-RA V-Limited, 1998 LGT
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »
I think I am going to go on the trip. It is a really good deal for what you get.  My friend is part of the ski club exec and he said that Labbatt might be hooking them up with some drinks, etc. in Jasper as well. If anybody wants to go I can find out where to pay and sign up. I just know that the ski club office is in the education building somewhere.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 01:17:23 pm »
I think I am going to go on the trip. It is a really good deal for what you get.  My friend is part of the ski club exec and he said that Labbatt might be hooking them up with some drinks, etc. in Jasper as well. If anybody wants to go I can find out where to pay and sign up. I just know that the ski club office is in the education building somewhere.

That would be awesome! I am going on friday to pay.

Also I just talked to my friend at the UofA and apparently there are only 23 spots left so if you want to go get there while there are still spots!

Should be a pretty good time, we will have to do a few runs.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 10:01:27 pm »
With the warm daytime highs there's decent crust to ski on, so I hiked my sorry assay up to Sunshine and peaked Twin Cairns.

Lots of snow up there, even in the meadows. November 8th opening should be good :D
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 11:12:03 pm »
With the warm daytime highs there's decent crust to ski on, so I hiked my sorry assay up to Sunshine and peaked Twin Cairns.

Lots of snow up there, even in the meadows. November 8th opening should be good :D

What's Highwood Pass like right now? I remember a couple pow days up this time of year a couple seasons ago.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 11:39:21 pm »
What's Highwood Pass like right now? I remember a couple pow days up this time of year a couple seasons ago.

Haven't been up that way yet, but I hear it's alright.

Another dump is coming this weekend, though. If you can make it out Saturday, it should be good!
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 11:48:16 pm »
Haven't been up that way yet, but I hear it's alright.

Another dump is coming this weekend, though. If you can make it out Saturday, it should be good!

That is a long drive for a short hike and a few turns haha. I think I'm going to have to wait until the local hill opens up at the beginning of December. Apex might have enough snow mid-November to hike and shred.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline jk

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: No longer a Subaru :/
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 11:51:16 pm »
Got my Marmot pass today! So much stoke! Hopefully I don't tear any more ligaments this season  :-[

Probably going up for opening weekend if it actually does on the 8th!

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 09:16:47 am »
Looks like I won't be going to Jasper with the UofA. But I am driving down with a friend and getting a room at the same hotel so I will still be there.

Look forward to riding with anyone from WSC that is going!

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 10:00:37 pm »
Looks like I won't be going to Jasper with the UofA. But I am driving down with a friend and getting a room at the same hotel so I will still be there.

Look forward to riding with anyone from WSC that is going!
I'm thinking about heading out for the day, got this delivery today so really want to try it out. I will probably spend most of the day on another board I don't care about if conditions aren't great but would like to get a few runs in on it regardless.

Going binding shopping tomorrow as well I think so I don't need to swap bindings over onto it.  I've always been tempted to try some Flow binders but have always gone the more traditional route but think I'm just going to pull the trigger and order some orange Fuse AT's which would match the board nicely I think.

Offline herb

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 09 WRX
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2013, 04:48:18 pm »
That's a sweet board, don't run it over a rock just yet.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 06:21:14 pm »
Board looks nice man!

I just picked up my new Park/street board for this year. Salomon Salomonder.

My last board was the Rome Artifact Rocker which was nice and soft but the reverse camber I wash't a huge fan of. I kept washing out on landings so I am trying the completely flat camber this year.

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 07:49:22 pm »
That's a sweet board, don't run it over a rock just yet.

I hate new boards for that reason, one they have a good gouge or two I'll just bomb over everything and its so much more fun haha.

I ended up buying some Flow Fuse AT's today, after playing with them a bit at the store they seem super sturdy and the new active strap rear entry system is awesome since when the back comes up it levers the large front harness type thing and clenches down on the whole front of the boot evenly at the same time. You can literally just step right into the binding, flip the back lever up and it sucks the whole boot in and holds it with a very comfortable death grip. They have no bad pressure points and feel super comfortable, unless there are some major drawbacks with carving, responsiveness, etc I'm sold and never going back lol.

Offline WGN 2NV

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: stage 2 07 wrx wagon
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 02:14:52 am »

I hate new boards for that reason, one they have a good gouge or two I'll just bomb over everything and its so much more fun haha.

I ended up buying some Flow Fuse AT's today, after playing with them a bit at the store they seem super sturdy and the new active strap rear entry system is awesome since when the back comes up it levers the large front harness type thing and clenches down on the whole front of the boot evenly at the same time. You can literally just step right into the binding, flip the back lever up and it sucks the whole boot in and holds it with a very comfortable death grip. They have no bad pressure points and feel super comfortable, unless there are some major drawbacks with carving, responsiveness, etc I'm sold and never going back lol
I am very interested on what u think of these after actually riding them. I'm looking for a new set if bindings for my NS Raptor and have been tossing around the idea of rear entry again.

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 09:08:44 am »
I will let you know what I think of them once I get them out for a few laps, I sent a friend a picture of them and he was jealous so went out and bought a set too so I'll get his feedback on them as well. He bought the top of the line $400 dollar ones though, I bought the mid range $260 version so I want to try his as well see if they are actually much/any better.

Offline herb

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 09 WRX
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 01:00:24 pm »
I've had flows for a couple of years now. I'm using the NXT-AT before they came out with the active strap.
I like how I get the same tension every time I lock in.  Just don't crank them down too tight, the straps are meant to hold your foot down without choking your ankles.

Offline scooter

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2013 sti sport tech DGM
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 08:05:53 pm »
 im also really hoping that marmot opens on the 8th. the hill cams are looking pretty promising thus far.

I love that lib tech board im rather jealous

Offline sherpa

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1999 V5 STi
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 08:10:09 pm »
The backside film fest is coming up if anyone needs help getting stoked for the season :) ski movies and free stuff is always fun!!

http://www.backsidefilmfest.com/

Offline WGN 2NV

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: stage 2 07 wrx wagon
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 12:32:31 pm »
For anyone who doesn't already know, marmot has changed thier opening to the 15th. Well this is according to the facebook page. Haven't been on their website to confirm 100%. But if you have a trip planned I'd suggest looking into it.

Offline jk

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: No longer a Subaru :/
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 02:14:48 pm »
For anyone who doesn't already know, marmot has changed thier opening to the 15th. Well this is according to the facebook page. Haven't been on their website to confirm 100%. But if you have a trip planned I'd suggest looking into it.

It's official and up on their website. My buddy is patrol there and said that they could have opened the bottom chair and 3 runs like most years on the 8th, but the last few years it broke down on opening. They're *hoping* to have enough snow to open it up to the top of the CRE/Paradise on this year on the first day.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 03:54:28 pm »
I usually board but this year ordered skis.

Here they are. http://bluehouseskis.com/snow-skis/district-291.html

Currently being shipped. tracking number says its in San fran.

GET HERE NOW DAMNIT!!!

But yeah, I want to do both this year, ski and board.

Usually hit up Red Mountain, Revvy, Kicking Horse. Those are my favourites.

Offline scooter

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2013 sti sport tech DGM
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2013, 07:57:38 pm »
That just wrecked my day I found that out thismorning, going to have to wait till my next shift back from work.

well on the bright side hopefully there is more snow in 2 weeks plus my oem racks just showed up for the sti.
Does anyone know what farring will fit on the oem cross bars I have yakimas from my 07 but they wont work

Offline yellowcab

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 2012 STI
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 08:40:07 am »

Does anyone know what farring will fit on the oem cross bars I have yakimas from my 07 but they wont work

I'm using the Inno fairing with my oem cross bars...fits great!

http://www.racksforcars.com/2326/Inno-INA261-Fairing-Medium/

rith

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 11:45:54 am »

Not really surprised, 22cm doesn't even cover the smaller rocks :P