Author Topic: Where to get HEP A+B Vaccines?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Justy | Outback 3.0R | Crosstrek | STI
Where to get HEP A+B Vaccines?
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:58:11 pm »
Quick question for you folks more traveled than I... where is the easiest place to get vaccinated for Hep A+B?

Is it as easy as going to your local pharmacy and getting it there or do I have to make an appointment at a doctor's office and get a prescription and such?

We're going to be travelling to Central America in December and will likely get off the beaten track a little and my girlfriend is pretty keen on getting our shots before we go.

I'm going to stop at our nearest pharmacy tomorrow after work and see if I can get it there but I figured there are a few world travelers here that may be able to point us in the right direction.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
Re: Where to get HEP A+B Vaccines?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:23:18 pm »
When I had mine done (granted, 5+ years ago) I had to get a prescription from my doctor.
Then a regular trip to the pharmacy.
If you're cool with it, you can give the shots to yourself. Or have your SO do it. (do it properly, as per instructions. I believe this shot has to go into muscle)

If not, you can get it done at your local medicenter.
I don't think pharmacy people will do it, since it has to be a registered nurse.
When the flu shots come around to pharmacies, they're registered nurses that do it. Not the almighty pill dispenser.

Edit: I would go see a doc about it anyways. They should be up to date with the latest and greatest deathly viruses taking the world by storm in various regions.
When I went to the Dominican, there happened to be a Malaria outbreak. I wouldn't have known, but my doctor did and gave me some meds to help prevent it.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:25:10 am »
Thanks, that was the kind of info I was looking for.
I guess it's time for a trip to the doctor... I can't remember the last time I've been to one.
It should be no problem getting my SO to administer it since she's a 3 years into her RN degree and has been giving injections in her clinical rotations for a long time now.

But maybe I'll stop in at the pharmacy in Safeway and ask tonight anyways since I have to go there and pick up pumpkins anyways. Maybe things have changed in the last 5 years.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX Sport CVT (CBS)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 02:39:18 pm »
When I got mine in 2004ish, 2005ish, I asked the doctor about it and he said, "the nurse will do it for you".  Cost me $60 or something like that.  I think it's called TwinRix or similar.
Because... hoodscoop.  :P

Offline Fredrico

• Patchy Faced
  • So far behind, I think I'm in 1st
  • Ride: 2004 WRX
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:26:19 am »
Had my Twinrix done at the local hospital in the "public health" devision. Just called and made an appointment.

With the Twinrix you have 3 total shots. Shot 1 & 2 are done one month appart before you leave for the trip. Shot 3 is done 6 Months after the first.
While you are there to get your shot, the nurse can look into the different regions you will be visiting and see what you will be at risk for while out there.

Hope that helps.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 07:56:45 am »
Update:
We ended up going to London Drugs in Windermere for everything.
Some pharmacies can write prescriptions and administer the injections now, but not all of them do it.
The pharmacist did the consultation where she went over what they recommend we should get and what we should look out for and then gave us the shots we wanted.
We were able to do it one evening at 8:00 and it took about an hour to get it all done.

Offline Vtec1

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2012
  • Ride: 18' GLE400
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 08:01:06 am »
I bet the government can track you down 24/7 now. :haplo90:
Money In the Bank, Pimpin' Ain't Easy.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 08:07:12 am »
Yep, especially since I got my flu shot while I was there. As well as my Tetanus booster.
Went from not getting a needle in 12 years to getting 3 in 5 minutes.