Author Topic: JDM Intake Modification (How to w/ pics.)  (Read 9597 times)

underground

JDM Intake Modification (How to w/ pics.)
« on: October 13, 2008, 03:12:59 pm »
While I was exploring the option of buying a after market piping kit so i could install a BOV, I did a little poking under the hood and decided to try something different. I wasn't looking for a cooler sound, just a louder blast. This Is what I came up with.

What you need:
- one 3" cone filter. (whatever brand you prefer really.)
- 1 aluminum bracket (I bought a Vibrant performance one.)
- 4 6mm nuts w/ bolts
- screwdriver
- wratchet
- about $50 (total bill of what I paid for the materials)
- maybe 20 minutes of spare time.

I also bought some 3" aluminum piping. Turned out I didn't need it but I might use it for something later.

Removing the air box, make sure you unplug the MAF sensor. It's clipped on to the side of the box (just below where it plugs into the MAF) as well so you'll need to unclip it there too.

Once the box is removed you'll need to attach the metal bracket (comes with a rubber gasket) to the MAF unit.

Then attach the cone filter with hose clamp and reconnect the MAF sensor and your done. The cone should be just underneath the hood vent, If you want to buy a sock for it it's up to you I've had no problems with moisture on the filter while washing or driving in rain.

Vent with hood closed...

I don't really know if anyone else with a JDM has done this or not. I noticed some differences once this was done. The sound of the turbo spooling is a lot more noticeable, the recirc-valve blast is louder as it's not resonating through to the wheel well anymore, and (this may just be in my head though) it seems the turbo starts spooling at a sooner RPM.

Hope this helps some people. Don't laugh at the wingnuts! LOL! I couldn't find any 6mm hex nuts, i'll switch them eventually!

Offline doubtless

• Patchy Faced
Re: JDM Intake Modification (How to w/ pics.)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 03:27:11 pm »
Cool, thanks for putting that up, looks like a nice easy change.

Edit: Where'd you buy the bracket at?

underground

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:36:09 pm »
Bought it at Mopac. It's Vibrant brand, I wish I would have remembered the part number for it cause there's 2 kinds they have there. I bought the one that the holes didn't match to first then I had to go back and buy the other one. I was really surprised that there was a part on the shelf that fit perfectly to the MAF unit. If I can I'll go back and get the exact part number and post it.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:39:07 pm »
wingnuts! :D  I figure they're the perfect tool for something w/ a "hand tight" torque sped. :P

underground

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:43:13 pm »
wingnuts! :D  I figure they're the perfect tool for something w/ a "hand tight" torque sped. :P

LOL! I know! Well you can't use the OEM screws to attach the bracket on so I went to Rona to get new bolts. (I only have metric tools at the moment.) So I find the bolts but they're all out of the hex nuts! So I went with some wingnuts, lol! They do the trick. ;)

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:57:22 pm »
Nice looking tutorial.  :)

underground

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 10:45:16 pm »
 ;D thanks man! LOL!

Offline ExHonda

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: '13 Focus ST, '92 Jeep Renegade
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:19:56 am »
Just asking because I don't know / not sure about. But with the cone filter being underneath an open vent like that, is there not any worry of water/rain being sucked in?

underground

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 07:38:01 am »
I was worried about getting it wet at first mostly when washing the car. Usually I put a sock over the filter when I'm at the car wash, as for driving in the rain there's been no problems. Most people I noticed don't have the vent covers removed though. I'll be putting mine back on for winter for sure. It's up to whoever, you can buy a sock or just leave the one cover on over that vent. I just found with the vents open the engine runs much cooler.

Offline TWRC

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 GRP Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT Wagon, Giant Anthem X2, Giant Simple Single
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 08:09:03 am »
I can't remember what the product is called but AEM makes a bypass valve for that purpose.  It involves you cutting the intake pipe in half and installing this bypass between the two pieces.  Added insurance on not getting water into your engine; however, I'm not too sure how it would work out on a car with a MAF though.

Offline ScubaruSteve

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • OH Yeah!
  • Ride: 02 Wag0wn
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 09:14:40 am »
i believe you're supposed to put the bypass valve before the maf, its just a piece of dense foam instead of a silicone connector made so that if the added pressure of completely submerging your intake it will suck through the foam instead. it may let small amounts of water pass through it as well I'm not sure. and then again, i could be wrong about this.

Offline Kachow

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 09:19:24 am »
Thats a great tutorial dude!
I would love to do that with my car, however it looks like you dont have ABS on your car. I do, so the air filter would not fit on my car  :(

underground

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 11:59:32 am »
huh? I don't understand. What do the brakes have to do with the airbox?

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 12:04:14 pm »
huh? I don't understand. What do the brakes have to do with the airbox?

That front corner is where the ABS pump & all the snakes nest of lines lives...

underground

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 12:11:33 pm »
i didn't know i was missing things... weird... but the filter sits right over where the airbox used to be. Still having trouble imagining this...

Offline Kachow

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 05:26:09 pm »
i would take a picture, but i seemed to have misplaced my digital camera lol. Right in the corner where your Cone Filter sticks into I have a big ABS brake system that your car doesnt appear to have.

Offline Hustler M

• WSC Supporter
  • Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 08:13:55 pm »
It's Vibrant brand, I wish I would have remembered the part number for it cause there's 2 kinds they have there. I bought the one that the holes didn't match to first then I had to go back and buy the other one. I was really surprised that there was a part on the shelf that fit perfectly to the MAF unit. If I can I'll go back and get the exact part number and post it.

Part # is 1998

underground

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 02:53:32 am »
It's Vibrant brand, I wish I would have remembered the part number for it cause there's 2 kinds they have there. I bought the one that the holes didn't match to first then I had to go back and buy the other one. I was really surprised that there was a part on the shelf that fit perfectly to the MAF unit. If I can I'll go back and get the exact part number and post it.

Part # is 1998

Right on, there you go. I went back but they didn't have any left so I had trouble describing what it was to the dude, so I was waiting till they got more.

Offline Kachow

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 11:52:09 am »
Hey underground, you coming to the next meet on Thursday?

underground

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 05:28:38 pm »
Yeah I keep missing them I hope to make this one for sure...

Offline Kachow

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 09:48:49 pm »
K cool, i will have to show you how there is no way i would be able to do the same thing you just did in this topic lol

underground

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 01:30:11 am »
There's always a way...  ;)

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 09:52:46 pm »
Possibly with a much shorter cone.

Did this get the more wanted "woosh" that you were talking about in the original post? How do you figure it worked in comparison to a short ram air intake, considering that second box is another filtration is it not?

Josh

underground

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 08:24:42 am »
The second box is just a resonation chamber that seems to collect a bit of oil as well, it's not a second filter. As far as an SRI goes, i did notice some throttle response.

Offline sniper512

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2003 Bug to the Eye
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 04:23:40 pm »
To do that to the JDM's with ABS you pretty much need the HKS mushroom type filter kit:(. They are so expensive for nothing really.