Author Topic: Help choosing between Raptor X and Summit  (Read 2208 times)

Offline WGN 2NV

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: stage 2 07 wrx wagon
Help choosing between Raptor X and Summit
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:28:52 pm »
As the title says, i would like some more help deciding between the Raptor X and the Summit, both made by Never Summer. Last year I picked up a Burton Process and it is absolutely perfect with the exception of when we have a nice dumping of the fresh stuff. It requires a lot of effort to stay afloat and my back leg dies out pretty quick. That being said, I am looking for something that will handle the powder days without too much effort. I know the Summit is a powder board through and through but how is it on the run outs and groomers? The Raptor on the other hand is free ride board which is right up my alley but i want to make sure it can handle the pow. I've been in contact with Blank skate and snow in sherwood park and they gave me some very decent quotes for both which is also making the decision harder. Now, I'm about 6' 200Lbs(ish) and my Burton is a 157. I like the agility of the "smaller" boards and how playful they are, and i'm thinking that the small size might be causing me to sink. So would the Raptor in, say, a 161 better suit me in the powder? all info is appreciated as always.

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
Re: Help choosing between Raptor X and Summit
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:13 am »
Do you have other boards to choose from? Based on experience, Never Summer boards are usually much stiffer than other brands out there. From the quick research I've done, the Raptor would be the better choice since the Summit is basically a strict powder board. Also, what size are your boots?

Offline Nick1234

• Stubbly Faced
  • '09 wrx Hatchback (non-265)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:42 am »
As the title says, i would like some more help deciding between the Raptor X and the Summit, both made by Never Summer. Last year I picked up a Burton Process and it is absolutely perfect with the exception of when we have a nice dumping of the fresh stuff. It requires a lot of effort to stay afloat and my back leg dies out pretty quick. That being said, I am looking for something that will handle the powder days without too much effort. I know the Summit is a powder board through and through but how is it on the run outs and groomers? The Raptor on the other hand is free ride board which is right up my alley but i want to make sure it can handle the pow. I've been in contact with Blank skate and snow in sherwood park and they gave me some very decent quotes for both which is also making the decision harder. Now, I'm about 6' 200Lbs(ish) and my Burton is a 157. I like the agility of the "smaller" boards and how playful they are, and i'm thinking that the small size might be causing me to sink. So would the Raptor in, say, a 161 better suit me in the powder? all info is appreciated as always.

If you want a deal, tell the owner Josh that Nick said to say "the Dark Fist feels good in my bum". He'll understand.

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Enthusiast, Unenthusiastic.
    • Teknique Auto Innovations
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:00:05 pm »
If you want a deal, tell the owner Josh that Nick said to say "the Dark Fist feels good in my bum". He'll understand.

He'll know what to do as well once your in the back room getting "sized up"  LOL
Teknique Auto Innovations
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta
Tekniqueman on VinWiki and Instagram

Offline WGN 2NV

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: stage 2 07 wrx wagon
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:57 pm »
Ah, I wish I checked this earlier today haha. I ended up going with the raptor 161. It's wider and longer than my current board so it will be a lot better in the fresh stuff without compromising anything everywhere else. Big props to Josh tho. Supper helpful and answered all of my questions while giving more info. Will definitely be a repeat customer when the time comes.

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 08:57:44 am »
Another good pow board option  is the Jones Hovercraft... they come in at $460...so not a bank breaker
Official Anti-Purist

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:19:55 am »
I freakin love my raptor x
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 10:40:37 am »
The Hovercraft eh? I looked at that but just picked up the Flagship to phase out the custom-x (will never buy a burton product again).

Between the Jones Flagship was the Rossi XV Magtek and GNU's Dirty Pillow. Never considered a NeverSummer board, out of those two options I would lean towards the Raptor.
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity