Author Topic: Install RallyArmor UR mudflaps on GD 2005 STI  (Read 2872 times)

Offline RallyX

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 05 STI, 98 Forester S/tb
Install RallyArmor UR mudflaps on GD 2005 STI
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:23:57 pm »
The RA mudflap install did not go smoothly on my 2005 STI so posting this to help save some headaches for others.

Summary: the upper 2 plastic clips for front mudflap install do not fit behind the fender liner as they "hope" will happen in the instructions.  I substituted pop rivets for the top 2 screws and taped the backing washers to the inside of the fender to hold them in place during installation.  Suspect a lot of shops/individual installers just lag-screw into the fender hole which will work but will promote rusting.

Pic1: so here's the 4 mount points for the front flaps, 3 along the fender and one recessed on the inside

Pic2: here's how the clips come out, basic stuff.  They mostly break when pulled out but you don't need to re-use them with the mudflaps

Pic3: multiple clips under the side skirt.  RA instructions say take the first 2 out, I say take 5 out so the skirt hangs completely out of the way and you can clean the incredible amount of itshay that collects in there over the years.

Pic4: fender liner pulled back and sideskirt hanging

Pic5: pulling the fender liner away from the fender.  It's going to rip easily be very careful with it.  Heat the plastic so it's pliable if you dont' have the luxury of heated garage/shop.

Pic6: THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!  According to RA these clips should fit nicely behind the fender liner and provide a pad for the self tapping screws to bite into.  I beg to differ on the fitment!!  The clips are way too wide to fit behind the fender liner!!  My solution was use pop rivets for the top 2 mounting points, see next pics..

Pic7: Pop rivets instead of clips.  Backing washers stuck on tape with the hole cut out so the rivet sticks through easily during assembly

Pic8: bad photo but I'm showing the pop rivet backing plates held on with tape behind the top 2 fender holes

Pic9: the inner fender hole needs this insert jammed in there so the screw can bite.  It's tight hammer helps.

Pic10: here you can see the top 2 holes waiting for pop rivets, underneath it the 3rd hole with the plastic clip as RA intended, inner hole with the insert pounded in

Pic11: mudflap installed showing pop rivets on top and normal screws on bottom holes.  The 1" spacer goes on the inner hole between mudflap and fender liner.  Oh and the level to help get things straight.  Obviously once you pull the rivets you can't re-align without doing everything over again.

Pic12: finished installation.  Took pic from the passenger side as it looks a little neater

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
Re: Install RallyArmor UR mudflaps on GD 2005 STI
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 03:26:59 pm »
Thanks for the writeup, but I'm not sure I agree with your solution.  I didn't have those issues getting the RallyArmor supplied clips behind the fenderliner.

Offline RallyX

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 03:43:57 pm »
Your clips looked like mine in photo 6?  Maybe I got different clips or my car's got different fenderliners because there was no way it was going to work.  The other option I almost pursued before doing the pop rivets was cut the fenderliner and allow the clip to stick through then seal it with silicone.  Least with the rivets I can just drill the heads off down the road without affecting anything else.   

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 04:02:07 pm »
Yea, you just need to put the clip on enough to have the hole line up with the fender, fender liner, and flap.  I didn't need to put it on all the way till it bottomed out & pushed things out've wack.

Offline JustinC

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 02/Legacy/Wagon
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:14:18 am »
I got drunk and ordered those 5 minutes before I saw this topic.  Wondering myself how I am going to install them on
my 02 Legacy L

Offline jsn

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STi
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 06:16:47 pm »
Strange how you had so many issues installing yours.  I installed mine on my 04 wrx with no issues.  I'm assuming the STI would be the same.  Hell, I didn't even jack up my car or even remove my wheels to install mine. 

Offline RallyX

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 06:51:41 pm »
Yeah Disclaimer I guess I tend to make things difficult sometimes so not to panic :) I could have made the plastic clips work but the pop rivets were easy as I have the airgun and I felt it made a better install. 

Offline sti_positive

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 13 BRZ
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 12:12:17 am »
i totally did this tonight !

didn't even have to take my rear wheels off as the instructions state..

i love these flaps

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:17:08 pm »
This is unnecessary. Just follow the instructions even if you think they won't fit. They do, I promise.