Author Topic: How did you decide what tires to run in the winter?  (Read 8930 times)

Offline RallyX

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 05 STI, 98 Forester S/tb

Offline evilspoons

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2012 STi, Sport-Tech, 5-door
Re: How did you decide what tires to run in the winter?
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 02:56:05 pm »
The previous owner of my first "I-can-finally-afford-a-real-car" vehicle had put the Nokian all-weather tires on it. (Car was a 2004 Volvo S60 2.4i, FWD, 5-speed manual). They performed decently in the summer but were worse than straight-up all-season tires (squishier/squirmier). Michelin X-Ice 2 winter tires were CONSIDERABLY better than the all-weather tires in the cold and snow, but the all-weathers were a bit better than regular all-seasons.

I arrived at Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 winter tires for my Volvo S60R (my second S60) because they had an excellent rating and reputation for handling well on clear, cold pavement (something we have a lot of around here). They also handle snow and ice very well, although a set of X-Ice would probably beat them. The PA3s from my Volvo transferred over to the STi when the Volvo was written off (size was close enough to re-use them). Turn-in roll and general handling are excellent compared to every other winter tire I've been on, and I'll probably get the PA4s when my PA3s wear out. (Side note: Porsche likes the Pilot Alpin enough that they're OEM equipment for winter setup on AWD 911s.)

My S60R only got stuck once on those PA3s - I high-centered the car on a ridge of ice hidden in the snow, and I still probably could've backed out except it was threatening to rip my front bumper cover off.

Here's a picture of the R not giving a crap about winter on the PA3 tires:

Offline BlackLightning

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 03:47:57 pm »
A lot of people run winter's now even SUV's. All cars use 4 wheels to break so I hope the person behind me has winters and if I had A/S I would pray the person in front of me does not have winters.

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 06:09:41 am »
Threads a bit old, but still some winter left.  I bought an extra set of rims and hankook i-pikes when we bought my wires forester in 2011, they are a directional tire, good siping and fairly soft. They are great tires, some of the guys run them on their work trucks for the winter as well.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 07:12:34 am »
Went for the cheapeast winter tires I could find for the Laggin Wagon when I had it (for reasons anybody who knows that car will understand), $284 all in mounted and balanced through my work.

For the BRZ, I knew the best two performance winter tires I had ever used were Pirelli Sottozeros and Hankook W300s, and I couldn't find any left over W300s, so I decided to try the W310s, so far so good.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 06:37:51 pm »
*BUMP*

Consider some studded tires this time?

I knew they'd make a difference on those intersections/spots that are visibly glare ice, what I didn't expect was how much more "bite" they gave me (over and above non-studded Hakkas) on what appeared to be bare pavement (but must have been slightly frosted).

They aren't a "only if you live out in the country" thing, they aren't a "only if you have to use the highway" thing... They're a grip thing, and they're legal in the province of AB (year round) and BC (Oct - Apr).

Plus, you'll have a ton more fun if you hit up one of the CSCC/SASC events out on the frozen lake.  ;)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2015, 08:16:53 pm »
*BUMP*

Only for the lake.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2015, 09:35:05 pm »
I drank the koolaid.

Ran studded hakk 8s on the winter beater last year, and will run them again this year on the new winter beater.
No going back now.

I likely wouldn't run them at a winter autox since we don't actually get winter anymore.
But they're my new standard winter shoe now.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2015, 09:55:01 pm »
We had a set in the right size sitting around the shop that a customer ordered but never picked up or paid for. Boss said "you buy now! I sell cheap!" and I told him "ok "

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 09:56:48 pm »
*BUMP*

Actually I completely forgot about this thread. To bump my experience with studded tires: dry Calgary pavement sucks. But, and this is a huge but. One Friday night Calgary got dumped with snow. I was living at the top of the hill just off Edmonton Trail. I was headed south into downtown in gridlock, gripped to the (now) polished ice. Dropped off my ex to her night out. I could see people properly struggling to get up the hill just to my left. Drivers on all kinds of tires, all seasons, on winters, perhaps albeit with poor technique.

Boy, coming back up that hill was uckfaying awesome. No drama. And all those dry days? Worth it. Coupled with a few icy snowboard pow-day runs and a foray to Elbow Falls to cut down my own Xmas tree, studs are worth it.

+1 Jelly... For the ice driving school, I was one of the people in my group alongside Tom's Volvo that had studs....much fun.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2015, 10:38:25 pm »
I ran studded Hakka 8s on the Impreza last winter, and they were amazing with freezing rain. I had, some, control over the terribleness that is freezing rain. Like, actually stopping at a red, being able to slowly start and manoeuvre around town in a controlled fashion.

The mr2 has studless winters, previous owner said it was manageable, so we'll see what happens. From previous experiences, it's on the ice where studs pull ahead, and being newish to Chinooks, a concern is the thaw and freeze cycles that make for some slick ice.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: bluecar
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 07:15:48 am »
Actually I completely forgot about this thread. To bump my experience with studded tires: dry Calgary pavement sucks. But, and this is a huge but. One Friday night Calgary got dumped with snow. I was living at the top of the hill just off Edmonton Trail. I was headed south into downtown in gridlock, gripped to the (now) polished ice. Dropped off my ex to her night out. I could see people properly struggling to get up the hill just to my left. Drivers on all kinds of tires, all seasons, on winters, perhaps albeit with poor technique.

Boy, coming back up that hill was uckfaying awesome. No drama. And all those dry days? Worth it. Coupled with a few icy snowboard pow-day runs and a foray to Elbow Falls to cut down my own Xmas tree, studs are worth it.

+1 Jelly... For the ice driving school, I was one of the people in my group alongside Tom's Volvo that had studs....much fun.
I lived in the Next building on 4th Street right there. Always took that really steep side road on my way to/from work. Never a problem in my Audi with Hakka R2s or my Pathfinder with standard Goodyear ATs.

Calgary has too mild of winters for studded IMO.

Buying studded tires is like buying summer tires designed specifically for torrential downpours for the 2 times a year you need them.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 08:25:35 am »
I lived in the Next building on 4th Street right there. Always took that really steep side road on my way to/from work. Never a problem in my Audi with Hakka R2s or my Pathfinder with standard Goodyear ATs.

Calgary has too mild of winters for studded IMO.

Buying studded tires is like buying summer tires designed specifically for torrential downpours for the 2 times a year you need them.

Nice! It's true, our winters have been pretty mild. I'll tolerate the added NVH just for that extra little bit of stopping distance or ease of getting up those hills or when intersections are super icy. Also now that I live in the burbs again, our street isn't usually plowed right away either.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 M5 - 2015 R1
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 09:02:48 am »
I've ran Nokian's on almost every car I've had and all of them were studded except one set. I like the studs living in e-town cause every intersection is nicely polished and the extra bite is definitely worth it in my opinion... even if it works out to save me a half a dozen times a season.. even one time is good enough for me.

I'll never buy anything but Nokian when it comes to winter tires. Hands down they are the best tire out there IMO and they last a long time. Flex had his set on his WRX for 8 years and my buddy is on his 4-5 year and tons of tread left. I've heard people say worn down Nokian's are still as good if not better than some new tires. If you haven't ran Nokian before, pay the extra and give them a shot.. You won't be disappointed.

Note: All my tires were Hakkapeliita winter specific not all weathers.. but I've heard great things from people that ran the the WR's.
The heavy four door saloon just beat the sports car.... That's the M5's job!

Offline Tik-Tok

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 09:22:49 am »
I keep wanting to buy studded Haks, but everytime I buy a car, it comes with a quality set of non studded winters (currently Sottozero's), so I can never justify it.

The only set I've ever had to buy was for my my wife's jeep, and we didn't have many options because we were stuck in a snow storm in Kamloops on crappy all seasons. Went with Michellin X-ice 3's, because we use xice2's  on our cargo van at work, and they've been pretty awesome for a rwd vehicle that never has weight in the back.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2015, 10:44:46 am »
Bought some Hakka 8 studded after running my goodyear wranglers last winter... If it ever snows in Calgary, I'll let you know how I like them on the 4Runner.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2015, 05:16:01 pm »
Just cant justify it on Calgary streets. I don't drive to/from work. In winter the majority of driving I do is in the mountains and the Hakka R2's are great for it.

Obviously run winters on both the Audi and my wife's impreza wagon (both Nokians - mine has the R2's and hers has the R's).
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 05:30:17 pm »
Hakka R2's non-studded.   I didn't choose them, they chose me.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 05:33:30 pm »
I'm running all-seasons this winter, because I like to live dangerously.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2015, 06:47:05 pm »
I'm running all-seasons this winter, because I like to live dangerously.
AND SO MUST EVERYONE ELSE!! I WILL DECIDE FOR THEM!

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2015, 07:04:22 pm »

Oo that means I don't have to think anymore yay!

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2015, 12:05:27 am »

If everyone else is running winters that means I dont have to because of herd immunity.
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2015, 01:02:45 am »
I don't crash into people, people crash into me.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 07:39:43 am »
I have Hakka 8s for the STI, and will not be going studded next time.
noise isn't bad but they skate on dry pavement, making the ABS cut in on fairly normal stops. my old winters (studless) handled/stopped 10x better on dry pavement

my Hakka 8s did well on hard packed snow at the ski hills, as well as city driving in Saskatoon. and plenty of grip going through unplowed gravel roads when heading back to the parent's farm. but with Calgary streets being bone dry 90% of the winter, I wish I had gone with R2s.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 02:26:22 pm »
I drank the koolaid.

Ran studded hakk 8s on the winter beater last year, and will run them again this year on the new winter beater.
No going back now.

I likely wouldn't run them at a winter autox since we don't actually get winter anymore.
But they're my new standard winter shoe now.

+1 to this, they're so good. No going back. Studded Hakka's 4 life.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography