Author Topic: Suggestions for BRZ wheels. (was Re: Wanted: 5X100 Wheels)  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
Re: Suggestions for BRZ wheels. (was Re: Wanted: 5X100 Wheels)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 05:18:07 pm »
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535
You're welcome.

I spent an enormous amount of time in that thread this afternoon and still have no conclusions on what I want  :(
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:35:19 pm »
And that's why I said "you're welcome". I figured you wouldn't re-appear for another week.

My thoughts:
- don't go much wider than 8" on the front unless you want to bust your nuts trying to get the tire to fit (the fenders are factory rolled, I'm talking about coilovers, mad camberz, etc). It also depends on your taste. I'm not a fan of crazy stretched tires and I think they look silly on the BRZ. If you don't mind staggered you can do that. I prefer same size all around as I don't like not being able to swap front to rear. 10mm rear spacers will give decent flushness on both front and rear.
- the 8" rim will hold a 225 tire nicely, which sits in the front wheel well quite nicely around +45 offset.
- I read a lot that 18" still works okay for handling and traction if you're not a track demon. If a poofteenth of a second is important you may wish to stay with 17". Personally, I feel 17" rims have no place in my life except maybe as cheap winters.
- go light. I'm a firm believer in reducing unsprung rotating mass. Unfortunately, this means you're looking at (nice looking) rims pricier than $1200.

My personal faves:

TSW Nurburgring
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30046

Rays
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9394

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 05:40:46 pm »
And that's why I said "you're welcome". I figured you wouldn't re-appear for another week.

My thoughts:
- don't go much wider than 8" on the front unless you want to bust your nuts trying to get the tire to fit (the fenders are factory rolled, I'm talking about coilovers, mad camberz, etc). It also depends on your taste. I'm not a fan of crazy stretched tires and I think they look silly on the BRZ. If you don't mind staggered you can do that. I prefer same size all around as I don't like not being able to swap front to rear. 10mm rear spacers will give decent flushness on both front and rear.
- the 8" rim will hold a 225 tire nicely, which sits in the front wheel well quite nicely around +45 offset.
- I read a lot that 18" still works okay for handling and traction if you're not a track demon. If a poofteenth of a second is important you may wish to stay with 17". Personally, I feel 17" rims have no place in my life except maybe as cheap winters.
- go light. I'm a firm believer in reducing unsprung rotating mass. Unfortunately, this means you're looking at (nice looking) rims pricier than $1200.

Right now my leading choice seems to be 17X8 Enkei RPF-1s with a 235/40/17 tire (Proxes R1R, Direzza Z11 or Hankook RS-3) all around, I am trying to read up how well that will clear though, especially on the front.  I do think I will go 1" lower than stock as well.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 05:49:30 pm »
RPF1's:
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=34503.msg459661#msg459661

Too much poke for me, but the 17X8s +45 with a 1" drop I think would look good, I am gearing my set up towards auto x.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 07:02:20 pm »
Just a warning. The Dunlop z2 are really noisy. If that's not something that concerns you, they are extremely wonderful tires. Really grippy, I love them... As long as I am wearing ear plugs or have my music turned up

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 08:06:57 pm »
Just a warning. The Dunlop z2 are really noisy. If that's not something that concerns you, they are extremely wonderful tires. Really grippy, I love them... As long as I am wearing ear plugs or have my music turned up

I ran Z1s for 35000km and two sets on my previous BMW, Z2s probably aren't much worse.

Offline Alwayswantedto

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 12 Legacy 3.6r & 13 Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 06:57:04 am »
I found that 235-50-18" fit just about right, without being too close to rub on the front strut.
Also with the 50-series, it doesn't ride like a tank either.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 08:09:38 am »
I found that 235-50-18" fit just about right, without being too close to rub on the front strut.
10% diameter variance to stock tire. Honestly, are you giving advice?
The guy just bought a BRZ, not a Crown Vic.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 08:35:55 am »

That sounds like a tire that is way too tall, with a fairly squidgy sidewall.  I'd like to stick with 17s I think anyway.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 03:35:45 pm »
<split & tidied up. -GrantC>