Author Topic: Kauai in October  (Read 2464 times)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Kauai in October
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:41:09 pm »
The trip has finally come (and sadly gone). It was awesome. I never really considered myself as someone who would "go to Hawaii", but Kauai is unreal. So much to do, lots of adventures to be had, and some amazing things to see and experience. I put together a highlight video, there was so much more, but this pretty well captures it, some pictures as well (didn't edit any of them). If you are thinking about going, go!

P1090361 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1090382 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1090330 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1090683 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1090650 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1090746 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1090731 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1090541 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1090786 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

Looking for some recommendations on cool things to see/do.

We've got a condo booked for a week so that's taken care of. Going to be renting a car, so getting around the island won't be any trouble. So far we're going to do a heli-tour and go surfing. I've never been there before so I have no idea what to expect. Any good restaurant/beverage recommendations?
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Fry

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Swiggity Swooty
  • Ride: Oscar meyer weiner
Re: Kauai in October
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:46:00 pm »
The Waikanaloa Cave and Waikapale caves man, thats where they shot scenes from pirates of the caribbean on stranger tides.
It's an 08.
It was a lemon before it even achieved rebuilt status.

Offline Tricky [RCAF]

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: WRX swap Impreza coupe For Sale, 06 WRX wagon
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 02:29:21 pm »
The Waimea canyon is pretty cool, and on the complete opposite side of the Island if you are into golf Princeville is the #1 Hawaii'an course.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:06:52 am »
Hike the Na Pali Coast. Can be multi-day but even if you're just going out for a day hike... its incredible.

For restaurants... Sushi Bushido was memorable... but expensive.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline jonathan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:14:27 am »
The Kalalau Trail is spectacular.
"I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?" - Jeremy Clarkson

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 08:49:38 pm »
Hike the Na Pali Coast. Can be multi-day but even if you're just going out for a day hike... its incredible.

For restaurants... Sushi Bushido was memorable... but expensive.

The Kalalau Trail is spectacular.

We will definitely do the day hike, I think Hanakapi'ai Falls Trail.

Caves look cool too, will probably go see those. Also the Queen's Bath looks like a rad place to spend an afternoon.

Definitely be into some Sushi while we are there, so we'll check that place out.

Waimea Canyon sounds neat too, I think there is a lookout point you can get to via car? We will do some adventurous activities, but this is going to be a mostly relaxing trip so I don't think we will be doing too many strenuous hikes.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:36:32 pm »

Waimea Canyon sounds neat too, I think there is a lookout point you can get to via car? We will do some adventurous activities, but this is going to be a mostly relaxing trip so I don't think we will be doing too many strenuous hikes.

Yes. I drove up to the lookout point... in a crappy kia rental car. I was wishing for my Subaru at that point cause its got some great twisty bits. The view from the top is really nice.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 10:13:35 am »
Yes. I drove up to the lookout point... in a crappy kia rental car. I was wishing for my Subaru at that point cause its got some great twisty bits. The view from the top is really nice.

Awesome. We finally booked everything last weekend, flights, car, etc. Flights ended up being cheaper to fly mid week instead of on a weekend so we are staying for a couple extra days (cost about the same as flying on the weekend by the time you factor in a couple extra nights at a hotel). I booked a convertible, which probably means we'll have a castrated Mustang or something similar, but it should still be a fun experience cruising the island top down.

Pretty excited about going out there, it' still so far away though!

Are there any other cool places to go? Shopping, art galleries, markets, etc.?

We'll be in Princeville for a week and then in Kapaa for a few days at the end of the trip.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 05:46:46 pm »
Quick bump. Very short trip summary added to original post.
THE EDJ on flickr