Author Topic: Project Dori Dori ~~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S  (Read 13227 times)

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • RA Motorsports - Element
    • RA Motorsports
  • Ride: 1987 Corolla GT-S, 1990 300SE, 2009 SX4 AWD, 2018 FXT
Re: Project Dori Dori ~~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2015, 10:58:10 am »
Thanks for sharing, Matt.  Is this project all complete, then?

not exactly.. one of those that I don't think will ever be "finished"

This winter I've got a bunch to do, mostly maintenance.
New gas tank, new e-brake cables, new brake booster.

But if I get to it I may try to install the high compression engine this winter as well, very curious on what that could do for me.
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Need powder coating? PM me!

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2015, 11:23:08 am »
not exactly.. one of those that I don't think will ever be "finished"

This winter I've got a bunch to do, mostly maintenance.
New gas tank, new e-brake cables, new brake booster.

But if I get to it I may try to install the high compression engine this winter as well, very curious on what that could do for me.

If it doesnt have ITBs, you should get some ITBs.  ;D ;D ;D
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2015, 11:58:04 am »
If it doesnt have ITBs, you should get some ITBs.  ;D ;D ;D

In due time..
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2017, 12:43:30 pm »
Bump, anything going on with this car?
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2017, 11:13:19 am »
I know there's been a lack of updates lately, hoping that changes going forward.
Buying a house, getting engaged and trying to start up a business has been taking my time away from the car.
I have some plans coming up, hopefully over the winter I can make some progress.

As for this summer, the car will be around at multiple shows, biggest being Driven Edmonton which I also did lat year.
Not too much has changed over the past 2 years, but here's a few recent photos to keep everyone in the loop.

Had the honor of having the car displayed at the grand opening of Northwest Toyota in Edmonton, that was quite the experience with some pretty important people on hand for the occasion.

@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2017, 04:23:00 pm »
Looks great! What wheels are those? They look 1 piece, so I'm gonna guess Riken Mesh?

also you don't happen to know anyone selling a GTS rear end do you? I wanna upgrade the one in my AE72.

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2017, 08:28:35 am »
Looks great! What wheels are those? They look 1 piece, so I'm gonna guess Riken Mesh?

also you don't happen to know anyone selling a GTS rear end do you? I wanna upgrade the one in my AE72.

Correct on the wheels, 14" Riken Mesh with some super crappy no-season tires to help me get slippery haha

And no sorry I can't say I know of anyone trying to sell a rear end.
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2017, 11:36:18 am »
So I guess there are some things that have gone on since my last update, so I thought I'd throw the few things that I've done up here.

Replaced the tired drivers seat with a Bride Zeta III Gradation:

Picked up a set of 14" Riken Mesh wheels so add a little colour, and get some skinnier and less grippy tires:

Still looking around for a set of 15" to be dedicated track tires, these ones definitely are not track tires and I want to get out to more events but 14" tires are hard to find or expensive.

And the most recent mod, and only thing that I've done this year, Personal steering wheel with TRD horn button and Boss hub adapter kit:

Huge Improvement over stock, in that it's not a school bus steering wheel haha
Although I may still jump up to a 350mm at some point, this isn't terribly hard to turn, I'm sure the no-seasons are helping the fact.

That's all for now

_Matt

@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline Korokodile

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2009 WRX Hatchback WRB
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2017, 03:37:43 pm »
I'm almost sure that this is the 86 that my friend told me about. Are you friends with an asian guy named Daniel?!

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2017, 10:24:18 am »
I'm almost sure that this is the 86 that my friend told me about. Are you friends with an asian guy named Daniel?!

Haha I sure am, although I'd be willing to bet there's more than one Asian Daniel in Edmonton haha
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline Korokodile

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2009 WRX Hatchback WRB
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2017, 01:06:10 pm »
Haha I sure am, although I'd be willing to bet there's more than one Asian Daniel in Edmonton haha

Haha this is true. Daniel was giving us tips when we were wrapping his brothers car because he said he helped wrap yours

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2017, 01:49:13 pm »
Haha this is true. Daniel was giving us tips when we were wrapping his brothers car because he said he helped wrap yours

Yes he did haha
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2017, 03:58:51 pm »
Had a good time getting sunburnt :-[ last weekend @ SunStance w/ Rev For Le Cure benefiting the Alberta Cancer Foundation

@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2018, 06:27:24 pm »
Since I've started on some of those plans I've mentioned earlier...
Time for another update!

Finally had a chance to do a track junkies event @ Cantrol Raceway and I can definitely say that I am hooked, excited to make a few this year and possibly get into Time attack in 2019.
Did the September long weekend event, and finished the day with a unofficial personal best of 1:37:4
Not too bad for 8 year old oily Azenis!

After that event and a few ASA lapping days, I can confirm that the knock that the engine has had for the past 3 years has gotten a fair amount worse haha
So I'm currently working on pulling that motor out and I will be swapping in a smallport 4age, which should net me a few more horsepowers as well.
Since this engine was only made for the transverse mounted cars, I will also be building my own aluminum intake manifold to fit it for rear wheel drive.
I wanted to pull the old engine before it went completely because the plan there is to build it into something that can rev to say, 9 or 10k haha always been the dream

Stacks for the new custom intake manifold!

Runners formed and mounting flange cut out

And I just started tearing into the old engine this past weekend

This is the last time it will be so stock looking, since I'm going with a custom intake manifold I've decided to make a few other changes to go more along the same lines.

Lastly, I've entered the car into Unrivalled Rides at the Edmonton Motor Show this year.
If you've liked what I've done with the car so far, and/or for what I have planned, I would greatly appreciate if you could toss me a like on facebook at this link:
https://www.facebook.com/EdmontonMotorShow/photos/a.2067173966852444.1073741865.1695566074013237/2068506203385887/?type=3&theater

Cheers!
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2018, 06:56:39 pm »
Man, I liked but you've got some serious competition with the corvette and that built purple WRX :( 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2018, 10:14:49 am »
Man, I liked but you've got some serious competition with the corvette and that built purple WRX :( 

Yeah lol
Not so sure how far I'll get, hoping that having enough likes will get me into the top 9 still
8 entries are by judges, 1 by most liked, and 1 most voted last year
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2018, 11:54:47 am »
I think you got top nine easy. Your worries are:
The 1973 BMW
The 280z
The skyline
MAYBE the genesis but I doubt it.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2018, 04:29:21 pm »
I think you got top nine easy. Your worries are:
The 1973 BMW
The 280z
The skyline
MAYBE the genesis but I doubt it.

Fingers crossed! haha

In other news, ordered up a new gasket set for the new motor, along with new head bolts and a water pump from RockAuto.

And!
After eyeing front lips for the past 5 years I've finally bit the bullet and order a OEM Zenki trueno lip out of Japan. Should be here some time in February..

Now I just need to keep an eye out for some sideskirts and a oem hatch wing/lip...
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2019, 10:33:05 am »
Time to update!
Can't believe it's 2019 already...

Last summer was pretty chill far car stuff. I finished the motor just in time for Driven then I had time to hit up a few ASA lapping days at Castrol as well as one Track Junkies event.
Things started to pick up a bit for RA Motorsports so that's taking a bunch of my time, also the fact that I have a baby on the way for April!
Spent 3 weeks in Europe for my honeymoon, a week in Cuba, 10 days in the yukon and a week in BC, all last spring/summer. Honestly surprised the car got out as much as it did!

This year will be much of the same story I'm sure, between the new little one and drying to balance a work life, this poor car will be neglected. That being said, there's dyno time on the books to see how the new motor compares to the the old, and I'll definitely hit up as many lapping events as possible. Skipping Driven this year and for the foreseeable future, but might be trying out Midnight Rev Up instead, like the grassroots idea around this more, and some of the smaller local meets/shows.

But that's enough about my boring life.. onto the photos!

After starting to tear down my new to me motor, I realized I had a unicorn on my hands, this was probably one of the lowest mile stock 4age's on the planet lol OG spark plugs, timing belt and oil filter

Inspection:

OG Plugs!:

Fresh coat of paint for the block:

Head going back on with a TRD headgasket after being machined and tornado'd.
Quick spray of copper on the headgasket to ensure a good seal

Since I had a few sets of valve covers around, and this build wasn't going for an OEM look, I decided to try out some gold powdercoat:

Now it's looking like an engine again!

Meanwhile, back at my office it was starting to look like Christmas. Parts were showing up from this cars first official sponsor, Mishimoto:

Went with an all aluminum radiator, as well as a 10 row oil cooler kit. A note on the oil cooler for 4ag users, the sandwich plate they provide will work, but only if you delete the factory oil pressure gauge.
I tried for a very extended period of time to make it work with different fittings which cause a big scare at the track, either with oil leaks or the gauge suddenly showing no pressure.
To rectify that, I've got a Greddy/Trust sandwich that I will be putting on shortly, the oil lines come off this at  45* angle allowing the lines to clear the pressure sensor. In the end I wish I would have gone with the HPI oil cooler kit which is specific to the AE86 and 4ag, but live and learn..

With the engine basically tied up I turned my head to the intake manifold I was fabbing up:

Test fitting before final cleaning:

Big day! Engine goes back in:

Followed by annihilating the factory wiring harness to lose all the components that were deleted including, IAC, Carbon can, idle up solenoids, cold start assist and cold start injector and EGT solenoids:

Inside some work had to be done as well, for years now the heater core had been plugged up, I've had one on order for well over a year now, so for the time being the old one was coming out and being replaced with a blanking plate. One day I'll either get the new one, or send the old one out to be re-cored:

Now anyone who really knows me knows that I love making a good bracket to hold almost anything haha so that's exactly what I did for the new oil cooler:

With wiring out the way, it was onto fuel and air. Just my luck, it turns out the fuel rails don't cross over between the 2 head designs, even though they're basically identical save for the intake ports.
And what a job it is to try and source a fuel rail for an early 90's toyota engine, that is, by Toyota's standards at least, a fairly rare engine. I went as far as buying some fuel rail "stock" in case I ended up having to make a fuel rail myself. In the end I somehow stumbled onto a shop out of Malaysia called "Speed Master Racing" that cnc's fuel rails for this specific engine. Took a couple months to get here which was a painful wait but it did show up eventually and worked perfect!
Here it is with the fancy over-engineered-not-at-all-worth-it intake manifold:

Couldn't use the factory fuel pressure regulator, so bought something ballin:

Made myself a fan shroud so I could move to dual electric fans. These are now wired thermostatically instead of via a switch in the passenger cabin. Install came out super clean and no more melted wires by the exhaust manifold. Some factory wiring has to be relocated under the exhaust manifold, and those wires were wrapped in extreme temperature welding cable sleeve.

And that about wraps up this engine "build". Nothing too extreme, but i do love the way the bay turned out, sure looks like it could put out some power, and we'll find out in a few months. Few other last items to tie everything up included how to fit an air filter in the restricted space I had, and some sort of breather. I'm usually one to avoid the foam filters, but I didn't quite leave enough room for anything but that unless I was to remove one of the headlights, which may still happen at some point. Instead of going with a catch can, I decided to try and keep the bay a little more empty and clean, so i rigged up an elevated breather with a small air filter. After a few track events it seems to be working great.

More to come!
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2019, 12:26:11 pm »
Looks like a brand new engine. Tell me more about that block paint please?

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2019, 01:34:12 pm »
Looks awesome! That engine is super mint, wish my 4AGE looked anywhere near that clean. Interested to see what the intake manifold does for power.

Where did you get the intake manifold flange from? I've been looking for someone who offers a big-port intake flange for awhile so I can make my carb manifold for my Corolla.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2019, 01:47:35 pm »
That might be the mintest 4A I've ever seen.

Offline WRX_RA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • RA Motorsports
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2019, 02:08:01 pm »
Looks like a brand new engine. Tell me more about that block paint please?

You'll be disappointed, I used whatever black spray paint I had in the garage, nothing special at all.
Probably the same that they do from the factory though, considering there was almost zero paint left on the block.

Looks awesome! That engine is super mint, wish my 4AGE looked anywhere near that clean. Interested to see what the intake manifold does for power.

Where did you get the intake manifold flange from? I've been looking for someone who offers a big-port intake flange for awhile so I can make my carb manifold for my Corolla.

I'm going to say that the intake will not do much for power, most of the gains are simply going to be from the fresh smallport itself.
I can cut you out a flange no problem. I only have the smallport drawn up right now, but if you're interested I can scan my bigport manifold

That might be the mintest 4A I've ever seen.

A true unicorn! Remind me to take care of it hahaha
@a_yeg_86

ramotorsports.ca

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2019, 02:39:18 pm »
A true unicorn! Remind me to take care of it hahaha

We're all gonna be dead one day so you might as well whip it.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2019, 02:59:12 pm »
I'm going to say that the intake will not do much for power, most of the gains are simply going to be from the fresh smallport itself.
I can cut you out a flange no problem. I only have the smallport drawn up right now, but if you're interested I can scan my bigport manifold

I'll send you a PM. I have a DFX file for the flange actually I can send you.