Author Topic: SC00BY-SNAX's GR STI build long overdue! PicXtensive  (Read 1374 times)

Offline SC00BY-SNAX

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 09 World Rally Technica
SC00BY-SNAX's GR STI build long overdue! PicXtensive
« on: July 16, 2015, 07:13:31 pm »
Hey everyone, I figure its finally time to do a build thread.  Long Overdue

Everyone knows that as you grow up interested in cars, you begin to gravitate towards certain makes, models and years.  We then strive to one day be able to own some of these cars we used to obsess about.  For me it started shortly after the Fast & Furious, when that movie came out; cars were the absolute only thing me and my friends alike could talk about.  We went from riding our bikes around the neighbourhood to sitting infront of our parents garage taking apart our pedal bikes, painting them, modifying them and often times going through numerous decks of playing cards taped to the rear wheel to make that all too annoying diatribe sound.  As we grew up we started attending local car shows and would ooze over what car we were going to buy for our first car.  Although these were mostly pipe dreams for us we all couldn't wait to get our licences and plop ourselves into our very own set of wheels. 

We lived that phase where everything we did to our cars was considered rice-ish by more mature car enthusiasts but the comments and such didn't bother us. WE WERE AWESOME!.  Before one can appreciate where we are now, we must try to remember and appreciate where we have come from.

I went through numerous itshay boxes and beaters but finally last year I was in a financial situation to get the car that I have always wanted. 

My very own 2009 Subaru STI Sport Tech. In wonderful World Rally Blue and came with a few extra goodies!

52,000kms
Fortune Auto 500 series 30 way Adjustable Coilovers (with all Stock suspension)
Invidia Q300 Exhaust
Rally Armour Mudflaps

The first day I took her home! =)

Sooo, shortly after I bought her I got the bug.... the mod bug =)

Decided that she needed more power so I ended up buying a Cobb V2 AP and SF intake and Airbox!

The difference was absolutely night and day but the hunger for more power was in the air.

Soooo I made a few calls and spent some time in the garage. Decided it was time for some new wheels Work Emotion XD9's 18x9 +20 as well as a few parts to make it my own. 

~Mods~
-Cobb V2 Accessport
-Cobb SF intake & Airbox
-Grimmspeed 3" Catless Divorced WG Downpipe with Cobb heatshield
-Perrin Wing Riser
-Hella Supertones (red)
-Black brake duct vents (as I lost one of them during the winter)
-Window Tint Limo in all rears, 35% in the front
-JDM Rear LED Reflector (works in conjunction with brake and running light)
-HT Autos Front lip
-JDM Black STI Side badges
-Carbon Fiber Exhaust Garnishes
-Kartboy Short shifter with Stiffer bushings
-Exedy Stage 1 Clutch with new bearings and machined Flywheel

~Planned Future Mods~
-Killer B oil pick-up & Windage Tray
-Crawford AOS
-Group N Engine Mounts
-Pitch stop mount
-Whiteline adjustable Swayers with brace
-Kartboy Endlinks
-SMY Cluster with Defi Boost gauge and Oil pressure Gauge and IA wideband gauge
-Aftermarket stereo (Because lets face it, the stock speakers are made of papermache  ::))

This is what she looks like as of late  8)

After Tint!

Sadly however, shortly after installing all my new parts... The Engine decided to go tic tic boom! Spun Valve guide was found to be the culprit  :-[
Soooo off to Mr.Mechanic it was.....$6,500 later that is.... New short block and rebuilt heads  ^-^

Its.... so.. empty.... :-\

maybe a little oil on dem pistons... looks like it got really freakin hot... must be due to oil starvation.

Just a tiny bit dirty in there...

Well anyways have had the car back now for a little over 6 weeks and absolutely no problems, everything seems to be running great and the car  seems to have much more power then it used to. 

And now tonights project (almost complete)

Teasers  8)

Straightened all of these bent intercooler fins... OMG this was the most tedious and time consuming job on the planet but holy itchy does it make a difference!

BECAUSE I just had too, Thanks to Brennan @ Betacuts for the excellent Stencil!  ;D
I believe that Subaru should HAVE kept this going past the 2007 STI models, its kind of a big deal.... but none the less excited for it to be complete... just waiting for paint to dry...

Pic's of finished product to be up soon!

Thanks for Reading \\m//

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
Re: SC00BY-SNAX's GR STI build long overdue! PicXtensive
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 08:00:18 pm »
$6500 for a new OEM short block installed?

Considering how bad our dollar is when I was pricing out engines that's not bad.

Offline SC00BY-SNAX

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 09 World Rally Technica
Re: SC00BY-SNAX's GR STI build long overdue! PicXtensive
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 08:20:53 pm »
Yea , it was just under $6,500 with the new short block and rebuilt heads. They also comped a few things like banjo bolts and iridium spark plugs. I got a really good deal. Although the Subaru dealers here in Calgary don't get much credit I was fairly pleased with there help. Wasn't nearly as much of a horror story as others told.