Author Topic: Camping Gear  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Camping Gear
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:25:51 am »
Well seeing as summer is on its way I want to start buying my new camping gear for this year (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad/mattress/cot).

And now that I sold my wagon I would like to keep the packed up size quite small and light if possible.

So my question to you guys is what do you use for camping? What kind of tent? A cot or a mattress? etc.

I have always used ittshay tents from can tire etc. but I want to upgrade to better gear this year.

This will be used for campsite camping.

Thanks!

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Re: Camping Gear
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:49:41 am »
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 09:23:02 am »
So my question to you guys is what do you use for camping? What kind of tent? A cot or a mattress? etc.

Are you looking to go backpack camping or go campsite camping? 

They both have different requirements in gear.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:24:05 am »
Are you looking to go backpack camping or go campsite camping? 

They both have different requirements in gear.

Sorry, should have specified that. Added to original post.

But campsite camping is what I will be doing.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:25:41 am »
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39306.0

I read that thread and there is no real discussion on products and what there pros and cons are.

Offline jonathan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:36:00 am »
Any of the tents at MEC will pack nice and small because they are designed for backpacking. Similarly any down-filled sleeping bag will compress nicely to save space and if you select a nice inflatable Therma-rest mattress they will pack to the size of a water bottle.
"I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?" - Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 09:39:27 am »
But campsite camping is what I will be doing.

I'd go with a decent size tent.  I'm looking at a Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8 personally (comfortable for 4 people).  Also, I sleep on a cot with mattress when I camp.  It's way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.  Go check out Cabela's for cots, they have a good selection. 

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 10:40:47 am »
For car camping I usually forgo the sleeping bag and bring a lightweight down quilt (I have the MEC Viator); It's light, packs super small and is nice and warm with two people under it. I actually use the quilt backpacking in the summer too as it's half the weight of a sleeping bag and takes up much less space in the pack.

Buy a comfortable sleeping pad. If you aren't back packing don't skimp out; just get a big air mattress from Canadian Tire. Yeah it's heavy and takes up a little more space than a backpacking style pad but if you aren't carrying it on your back then who cares? If you must have something you can put in a back pack you can't go wrong with Big Agnes (3.5" or 4" thick pads). High quality materials, super light, and luxurious comfort for the back country.

For car camping, a bigger tent is better; you'll be more comfortable, have more space to stash gear, and if it rains you have a decent place to hang out with friends and play cards or whatever. I probably wouldn't spend the money on Big Agnes, MSR, Mountain Hardware or anything like that. Buy a big MEC branded tent and you'll get the most bang for your buck.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 11:39:19 am »
I have a MEC Tarn3 that I impulse bought maybe 5 years ago with the mindset that I would get more gear and start using it if I bought it, it's been slept in once in my friend in Golden's back yard Canada Day weekend 2 years ago  :-[. I want to get some more gear and start going to the mountains every other weekend during the summer and doing some biking, I spend so much time there in the winter but barely ever get to see any of it when its not covered in snow.

Offline Way-do

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Focus ST
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 01:38:58 pm »
Big Agnes and MSR have a lot of great options and are available at MEC.  I use  an older HubbaHubba for most things (backpacking and Moto Camping) but for car camping something a bit bigger would be nice (like the Mutha Hubba). BA Seedhouse is super nice too.

I can't stand big, blow up mattresses so I use a heavy thick therma rest for car camping, and a Prolite or Exped downmat for light weight camping.

MEC sleeping bags are great value, and you can't beat their guarantee. I prefer down or hybrid, but I have 4 or 5 bags to choose from.

You can rent/demo a lot of gear from MEC and if you like it, they will take the rental price off the purchase price of a new unit.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 12:20:44 am »
I know that this post is old, but since it's up here I may as well give my .02.

I have been involved in a Ukrainian Scouting organization my whole life, and one of the main things we do is camp. Multiple times a year. We hike up to some pretty awesome places, see some pretty awesome things, etc. Now considering i've done this multiple times, including multiple 3-5 day hiking trips out in the backcountry, I feel as if I am quite experienced and knowledgeable in the field. Although it's mostly been in mountainous regions in BC, I can definitely tone the miniscule-ness of packaging and what not down for you without a problem.

That being said, feel free to PM me or shoot me a text (I believe you still have my number), and I will have no problem answering any questions for you. Also, now that I work at Cabela's, I can most definitely show you around some of our products that we carry and I may possibly be able to sneak in a few discounts for you.

cheers