Author Topic: 2014 F1  (Read 11741 times)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
Re: 2014 F1
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2014, 12:18:02 pm »

Pulled this from car throttle. Helps explain a few things.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatchback
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2014, 09:50:27 pm »
Nice video, is that cheating?? lol
Mercedes ftw

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 09:31:24 am »
Well its clearly not cheating since theyre getting away with it haha. But im sure you have the ability to put things whetever you deem good placement as long as you follow the basic set up rules.

Itll be interesting to see how the other teams step up, or if they will at all. I hope its not another dominant season.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 09:39:50 am »
Mercedes spent the most money on development for the new rules, by a long shot. And now, since it's all locked down, none of the teams can copy them. I wonder if they'll copy the design between seasons.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2014, 10:37:25 pm »
yea next season everyone will have it or no one will.  good for mercedes bad for the fans cause we know it's hamilton or rosberg 2014 champion

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2014, 11:02:04 pm »
Ricciardo in P3 for Spanish GP. Aww yiss

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2014, 12:33:17 am »
Awesome seeing Daniel school Sebastian. 

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »
So stoked to see Ricciardo finally get a legit podium. I really wish Rosberg had managed to pass Hamilton in those last few laps, or that Bottas could hold up against Vettel... But I have to admit, Vettel drove pretty damn well.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2014, 01:49:21 pm »
Holy itshay. Poor Perez. Poor Massa. Congrats to Ricciardo. Interesting to see what happened to the Mercedes.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2014, 06:34:53 pm »
Wow intense last 5 laps there.  Everyone in the top 5 was in the hunt for the podium.  Congrats to Daniel Riccardo and Vetel for finishing strong.  Mercedes doesn't look so invisible anymore.  There getting some serious car issues there. No pts for quitting. 
That crash on the last lap, looks like Massa just drove up Perez's assay but I think Perez was on the brakes early cause of failing brakes and Massa was trying to make a move on the inside at the sametime.  Unfortunate for both guys possibly going 4th and 5th, instead getting nothing.
F1 season is getting more interesting again, have to admit I didn't watch monaco or spain because of mercedes dominance.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2014, 07:56:43 pm »
Dammit, i've been soo busy I didn't get a chance to watch this one. I'm assuming by smurfs comments that it was a good one?

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:01 am »
Mercedes doesn't look so invisible anymore.

I think they've been at the top of most stories this year  ;)

I'm waiting for Asstuna to give us his in person appraisal of the race. But it was in Montreal, so I should probably give him a couple days to recover.
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2014, 12:19:27 pm »
Lol I meant invincible.  Damn auto correct

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2014, 01:59:28 pm »
From the news I saw, it looks like the brake energy system failed on both mercedes cars. It's why Rosberg was slower by 10MPH on the straights.

As for the Massa/Perez incident (spoilers):

http://i.imgur.com/WRTu05L.jpg

Looks like Perez didn't shoulder check before changing lanes...

Huge picture should not be embedded.

Offline STI_Crazy

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2013 Cayenne
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2014, 10:55:13 pm »
That was one of the most bizarre races i've seen lately. Perfect weather and so many cars didn't finish.
Regardless, i feel bad for Lewis but happy for Ricciardo. The kid deserved to win a race.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 01:41:28 pm »
Everyone looking forward to the return to the A1-Ring this weekend? I'm really hoping Kimi will start getting a handle on the Ferrari.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline wrx-zrx

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 STI
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 12:35:18 pm »
I think Ferrari needs to get a handle on the Ferrari first. Kimi will do just fine when that happens.

Offline wrx-zrx

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 12:50:34 pm »
Who has seen this?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/07/0...h-wheels-test/

Pirelli to run F1 car on 18-inch wheels in test

Pirelli will run an F1 car on 18-inch wheels during next week’s test at Silverstone as its urges the sport to consider a move towards larger wheels.

F1?s official tyre supplier says its 18-inch prototype tyres are “fully functional” and will be used for demonstration runs during the test next week using Lotus’s current car.

“The 13-inch tyre is no longer relevant to the everyday road user, because even an 18-inch tyre is used by standard vehicles these days,” said motorsport director Paul Hembery.

“While 18-inch tyres would be a big step for Formula One, there are many other motorsport series that already use this size. So there’s scope to go even bigger than that in Formula One in years to come.

“In order to underline F1’s role as a test bed for future mobility solutions, we believe that it benefits everybody to have as close a link between road car tyres and competition tyres as possible: a belief we have held ever since we introduced the low profile tyre from competition to road use back in the 1970s.

“However, we’d like to emphasise that this move is not something that we are actively pushing for, as our role in Formula One is not to instigate changes. Instead, it’s to help teams and drivers make the most out of the equipment, regulations and resources they have at their disposal – whatever they decide that framework is going to be.”

Pirelli acknowledged that moving to 18-inch tyres would mean less space for their branding on the wheel rims.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 01:33:01 pm »
I know there's concerns about it impacting the suspension, seeing as the sidewall was so large before.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 01:41:36 pm »
It just looks so.... wrong.

That being said, there are a number of reasons to do this that it does make sense.

I just... it so wrong, ugh. Gross Pirelli....

I know there's concerns about it impacting the suspension, seeing as the sidewall was so large before.

Should allow the designers to have more control over the suspension movement, since I believe 60% or so of the current flex is in the tires and not the suspension. Might be a challenge to redesign everything to work properly though on short order, if they were looking to implement this next season. And all the changes that go along with it, brakes (keeping the heat in), stronger wheel tethers, aero considerations, total suspension rejigging.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 01:47:00 pm »
I actually rather like it, to be honestly.

As for the redesign, I can't see why they can't come up with a solution, but I think the big issue is how regulated the suspension is by the FIA, and how they may not be able to compensate properly.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2014, 02:14:35 pm »
These kind of changes are what keep F1 entertaining from year to year.  There is such a technical complexity with this kind of a change.  I would be interested to know the weight difference between the wheel and tire setup as I figure the 18" setup would likely end up be lighter than the current setup making the cars even more difficult to control under power.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2014, 02:33:05 pm »
I'm not really against it, it's just that I sometimes feel like Bernie and Co. implement changes based on their perceived failure of the sport to attract new crowds. Mostly I think it just looks weird.

Bigger wheels though? I think it's actually a good change as it's more relevant to road car/ sports car technology and will open up new avenues of "rule interpretation" which always brings about the bleeding edge developments that help make F1 so exciting.

Offline wrx-zrx

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2014, 03:44:37 pm »
I'm not sure if the word "wrong" applies to how it looks exactly. It certainly looks... different.

Look at the clearance of the existing brake set up to the 18"wheels. Lots of space for the engineers to design larger rotors, calipers, and ducting. So much in fact that brake performance could be vastly improved. It's hard to imagine a car slowing from high speed any faster than current F1 cars are capable of but the possibility is there. Soon the Drivers are going to require G-suits so they don't black out.

While F1 is in business to make money I somehow doubt that they really have to put in much effort to attract new viewers. It is still the most viewed sport around the world. Except during the World cup that is.
There is no shortage of countries that want a race and are willing to spend the huge amount of money it takes to bring it.

I am more than likely wrong but that sure looks like Fernando Alonso's helmet design on the driver of that Lotus car.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2014, 04:55:16 pm »
I'm not sure if the word "wrong" applies to how it looks exactly. It certainly looks... different.

Look at the clearance of the existing brake set up to the 18"wheels. Lots of space for the engineers to design larger rotors, calipers, and ducting. So much in fact that brake performance could be vastly improved. It's hard to imagine a car slowing from high speed any faster than current F1 cars are capable of but the possibility is there. Soon the Drivers are going to require G-suits so they don't black out.

While F1 is in business to make money I somehow doubt that they really have to put in much effort to attract new viewers. It is still the most viewed sport around the world. Except during the World cup that is.
There is no shortage of countries that want a race and are willing to spend the huge amount of money it takes to bring it.

I am more than likely wrong but that sure looks like Fernando Alonso's helmet design on the driver of that Lotus car.

Nah, it totally looks wrong. But I suppose that's more of my own opinion.

One of the reasons they've kept the wheels small, that I've heard anyways, was to limit the size of the brakes, and thus limit stopping power. They're already mighty, as you've said, and anything more is just overkill, so it was something of a why bother.

They really do have to attract new viewers though. Their numbers are falling in Europe, and in countries where they've stated races on new tracks in the last few years, attendance numbers have generally fallen off sharply after the first few years of races. Look at Indianapolis, Korea, India, Turkey, Et Cetera.

Does look like similar colours, but I believe Pic was driving for the test.

I suppose the more I look at them, the less it bothers me.