Author Topic: SubMit 86' Super Meet 2014 ideas thread.  (Read 22068 times)

Offline Dev

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Magic Carpet
Re: WSC super meet 2014 ideas thread.
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2014, 11:44:13 PM »
With the meet being so big this year is there a way to set some ground rules for this meet? Probably be impossible to enforce but I think if there are some rules set up for the meet that could potentially prevent conflict between other clubs.
My 2006 STI Build:*Sold*
Project "Panda"
My 2014 XT Build: *Sold*
Project "Panda" #2
My 2016 Golf R Build Project "Panda" #3

Offline Cagare

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 S2000, 2012 Tundra, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2014, 12:00:01 AM »
I instantly though of a car club battle royale, similar to anchorman, so:

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2014, 12:33:50 AM »
I can see a cruise turning into an absolute itshay-show. It's hard enough to keep WSC cruises in control and that's without people feeling like they need to whip out their car cocks and show everyone how amazing their particular manufacturer is.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline GrandThing101

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: White 06 STi
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2014, 01:50:04 AM »
Well this is just an idea so feel free to shoot it down, but for the cruise, why don't we go down by clubs? Like, we could all go together, but every club sticks with their own?

Offline funk32

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2014, 06:03:30 AM »
I can see a cruise turning into an absolute itshay-show. It's hard enough to keep WSC cruises in control and that's without people feeling like they need to whip out their car cocks and show everyone how amazing their particular manufacturer is.

Maybe that's an issue you guys have down your way, we made it to the meet last year with a good size group without 1 single person being a prick.

Offline Jesse.Korpan

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2009 Subaru STi
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2014, 06:34:22 AM »
Its seems like this thread is perhaps more about hate/fear then about unity/idea's. I know where all sides are coming from in the fact that some car clubs get itshay on for being ricers and street racers but this meet like all meets I have been to will be held to the same rules that WSC enforces even if WSC wants to distance itself as a flagship organization.

There will be on site security like last year who will be recording plate numbers and ejecting people who break the rules. The Cruise's will happen the exact same way people with in the cruise will monitor behaviour and if some one is getting out of line then they will be reported and not allowed into the meet.

I know that change in one way or another can be a scary thing but there comes a time in every clubs life when they come out of the offices and Tim horntons car parks and move to something bigger and better. If the meet doesn't work out this year and it turns into the negativity fest that only WSC members have predicted then I will gladly disband the group and no longer have any role of any kind in any WSC meet other then attending and lamenting what could have been.

With that said I still hope to see everyone out there this year and that we can put aside our petty differences / squabbles / fear / bitterness and enjoy some nice weather for a change with a bunch of people who like us spend to much money on a box on wheels and get strange looks when they stand in a parking lot in -10 weather talking about a fairing or a certain exhaust.
Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2014, 07:37:04 AM »
Not directed at anyone but if you don't like the new meet concept that includes other groups you don't need to come, there will be plenty of cars and awesome people without you. Just don't itchbay (Creative criticism is fine) and itshay on the related threads.
 :haplo90:

You're right. I'm sorry I had an opinion about the car club I've been with for 6 years. One thing everyone has failed to notice, is none of the mods, admins, or owner of WSC have endorsed this in any way. Now, I'm glad that members have stood up, and took all the effort of organizing it, and last years meet went really well overall, but isn't it a bit presumptuous to just say "This is the WSC supermeet, end of story." By that same logic, I can go, set up a Beyond.ca meet, invite 18 more clubs, and then have all responsibility on myself, including dragging the name potentially through the mud.

I've setup meets/cruises previously, and you can't control every single person, even when it's smaller (10-15). You can threaten, bluster, warn, etc, but you can't control people. We (reasonably) don't want the WSC name to encompass every single person that shows up and pays $5, only to have them do burnouts/drifts/whatever they want, and potentiallyhave that reflect the WSC name in front of every passerby that see's/hears about the meet, even if the person responsible was never part of club.

This is actually really predominant on the facebook group for WSC. It seems that 50% of the people on there don't have a forum account, another 25% are only lurkers, and yet as a public group, everything they say is seen as being "WSC". This actually caused a problem recently, where someone was planning to "steal" a parking lot from another meet, and it came down to a bunch of itchbaying back and forth, and the "member" responsible had never even signed up on the forum proper.

Anyways, I digress. The organizers wanted opinions, I gave mine, and whether you like it or not, a few people agreed with me. I don't plan on attending, as I use the super meet to see some OG members/friends from Edmonton, and most of the people I'd like to chat with aren't going anyways.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline e13tankbuster

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2014, 08:03:29 AM »
I plan on going because it sounds like it's gonna turn into a pretty big enthusiasts gathering.

The WSC name/supermeat theme had been dropped so if there's tools about, let the authorities deal with them..
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline Jesse.Korpan

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2009 Subaru STi
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2014, 08:08:16 AM »
Fair enough LDS its a shame the OG crew has no intrest in the meet but if that's your choice then so be it hopefully you'll change your minds.

To unfortunately distance ourselves further from the WSC name the email for submissions has been changed everywhere it was posted to submit86meet@gmail.com

To all Pro meet and Anti Meet users both sides have spoken we don't want to discourage attendance and we don't want this to turn into a itshay show blood bath we just want a meet.

Keep the ideas rolling for people who care for the people that would like to see this moved from a WSC meet to a meet with a few WSC members it has been done. Now that we have gotten that detail out of the way lets have some event ideas and logo submissions.

Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »
Maybe that's an issue you guys have down your way, we made it to the meet last year with a good size group without 1 single person being a prick.

Correct. I drove down by myself.
;)

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
Its seems like this thread is perhaps more about hate/fear then about unity/idea's. I know where all sides are coming from in the fact that some car clubs get itshay on for being ricers and street racers but this meet like all meets I have been to will be held to the same rules that WSC enforces even if WSC wants to distance itself as a flagship organization.

There will be on site security like last year who will be recording plate numbers and ejecting people who break the rules. The Cruise's will happen the exact same way people with in the cruise will monitor behaviour and if some one is getting out of line then they will be reported and not allowed into the meet.

I know that change in one way or another can be a scary thing but there comes a time in every clubs life when they come out of the offices and Tim horntons car parks and move to something bigger and better. If the meet doesn't work out this year and it turns into the negativity fest that only WSC members have predicted then I will gladly disband the group and no longer have any role of any kind in any WSC meet other then attending and lamenting what could have been.

With that said I still hope to see everyone out there this year and that we can put aside our petty differences / squabbles / fear / bitterness and enjoy some nice weather for a change with a bunch of people who like us spend to much money on a box on wheels and get strange looks when they stand in a parking lot in -10 weather talking about a fairing or a certain exhaust.

Fair enough LDS its a shame the OG crew has no intrest in the meet but if that's your choice then so be it hopefully you'll change your minds.

To unfortunately distance ourselves further from the WSC name the email for submissions has been changed everywhere it was posted to submit86meet@gmail.com

To all Pro meet and Anti Meet users both sides have spoken we don't want to discourage attendance and we don't want this to turn into a itshay show blood bath we just want a meet.

Keep the ideas rolling for people who care for the people that would like to see this moved from a WSC meet to a meet with a few WSC members it has been done. Now that we have gotten that detail out of the way lets have some event ideas and logo submissions.

You're taking this all way too personally. This isn't about hate, or fear, or a desire for the status quo. I don't think anybody has said this meet is a bad idea in an absolute sense. It's a cool idea in theory. However, the majority of criticisms revolve around the idea of calling a meet that involves several other clubs the WSC super meet. That's really it. The rest of the criticisms are more procedural in nature.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
However, the majority of criticisms revolve around the idea of calling a meet that involves several other clubs the WSC super meet. That's really it. The rest of the criticisms are more procedural in nature.

Which has been rectified.

Honestly, I think now would be a great time for anyone who has no intentions on participating to back off a bit and let this thing evolve.  There are some very enthusiastic people trying to put this together and I sincerely hope it goes well.  As a long standing member I have my reservations but this conversation seems to be evolving away from being helpful and more to just writing off every other club participating which is just plain stupid and elitist.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2014, 10:05:45 AM »
You're right. I'm sorry I had an opinion about the car club I've been with for 6 years. One thing everyone has failed to notice, is none of the mods, admins, or owner of WSC have endorsed this in any way. Now, I'm glad that members have stood up, and took all the effort of organizing it, and last years meet went really well overall, but isn't it a bit presumptuous to just say "This is the WSC supermeet, end of story." By that same logic, I can go, set up a Beyond.ca meet, invite 18 more clubs, and then have all responsibility on myself, including dragging the name potentially through the mud.

I've setup meets/cruises previously, and you can't control every single person, even when it's smaller (10-15). You can threaten, bluster, warn, etc, but you can't control people. We (reasonably) don't want the WSC name to encompass every single person that shows up and pays $5, only to have them do burnouts/drifts/whatever they want, and potentiallyhave that reflect the WSC name in front of every passerby that see's/hears about the meet, even if the person responsible was never part of club.

This is actually really predominant on the facebook group for WSC. It seems that 50% of the people on there don't have a forum account, another 25% are only lurkers, and yet as a public group, everything they say is seen as being "WSC". This actually caused a problem recently, where someone was planning to "steal" a parking lot from another meet, and it came down to a bunch of itchbaying back and forth, and the "member" responsible had never even signed up on the forum proper.

Anyways, I digress. The organizers wanted opinions, I gave mine, and whether you like it or not, a few people agreed with me. I don't plan on attending, as I use the super meet to see some OG members/friends from Edmonton, and most of the people I'd like to chat with aren't going anyways.
Back when we had the Alberta Subaru Club, the guys at dc5ab generously allowed a bunch of the Subaru guys to drive down and join their meet in Sylvan Lake.  Actually, the previous owner of your car was in the group that drove down.  They didn't itchbay or complain, it was just a bunch of guys that loved cars and and enjoyed talking about them.  Why can't WSC members hold themselves to this standard and be perfectly open to anyone who has a genuine interest in attending?

I understand what you're saying about the OG (what's even considered OG these days?) people -- sometimes I'll show up to meets to catch up with some old ASC friends, but there are lots of other awesome people that are either newer members or don't drive a Subaru.  Hell, the most passionate and knowledgeable guys on my Formula SAE team, whose design and technical knowledge far outweighs almost everyone here, aren't Subaru guys at all.  They're BMW, VW, Honda guys but all have a passion for cars and will gladly hang out and discuss any make/model of vehicle, even if it's not their own.

Let Jesse do his thing.  He seems to be putting in a ton of work that many people here don't really seem to appreciate and all of these arguments really aren't helping further the discussion.

Offline e13tankbuster

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
Back when we had the Alberta Subaru Club, the guys at dc5ab generously allowed a bunch of the Subaru guys to drive down and join their meet in Sylvan Lake.   

Let Jesse do his thing.  He seems to be putting in a ton of work that many people here don't really seem to appreciate and all of these arguments really aren't helping further the discussion.
I was at that dc5 meet in Sylvan Lake with my Acura! Years ago..

EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline Stage2

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • http://www.stage2clothing.ca/
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2014, 11:42:14 AM »
As a vendor on this forum I think its a great idea and I'm on board.  I've been here since ASC days so does that make me OG?! Lol

Lets get some design ideas going
Anthony Nagendraraj
Stage 2 Clothing
Tel: (306)999-2655
www.stage2clothing.ca

Offline thetallone

• beards comin in nice
  • Bazinga!
    • Edmonton Subaru Club
  • Ride: SWP 2009 WRX 265 Sedan
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »
If people feel the need to just have a meet with Subaru's (Much like last year) feel free to organize it, Ill go. Two big meets with different groups would be awesome and I have nothing against the people who dislike the way this particular event is being organized.

But Jesse was one of the couple organizers last year and is the main one this year, as such he has adapted it (and changed names) in a way that benefits more people and will raise more money for charity. WSC has now been listed as a club that is invited to this meet and not directly related to the organizing of it.  I believe that solves any issues on WSC's behalf.

Myself and others are also helping organize this meet as a way to see some nice cars, meet new people, raise some money for charity and just overall have a good time. Will there be quirks and problems, probably... Can't find out if the concept will work until it actually happens.

Gotta remember that if no one took the effort to organize these meets than there wouldn't be any at all.

With the meet being so big this year is there a way to set some ground rules for this meet? Probably be impossible to enforce but I think if there are some rules set up for the meet that could potentially prevent conflict between other clubs.

Rules will be made and posted on the respective forums of invited clubs and on the facebook group/event.
If numbers are any indication of turnout I am sure we will be talking with law enforcement in Red Deer to see if some sort of casual presence can be had to deter any people from feeling the need to show off.

Offline Rick

• Patchy Faced
    • 98 STi
  • Ride: 2002 FXT, 1991 Turbo LS Silverado, 1986 Volvo 740
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2014, 12:45:09 AM »
Two big meets with different groups would be awesome and I have nothing against the people who dislike the way this particular event is being organized.

You can never have too many meets, I try to make it to everyone I can.

With the exception of BP's.