Author Topic: Howto: Grillcraft install on 08 wrx/legacy hoodscoop  (Read 2013 times)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
Howto: Grillcraft install on 08 wrx/legacy hoodscoop
« on: October 26, 2008, 04:28:43 pm »
Since the instructions that come with the Grillcraft hoodscoop guard, I thought I would make my own.

You will need:
Engine cover, such as a big cloth (trust me)
1/4 inch socket screwdriver
3/16 drill bit
drill
small philips screwdriver
small flathead screwdriver

Open hood, and cover the engine with the big cloth. I dropped so much stuff down into the engine bay, before I thought of this. And surprisingly, plastic clips are not magnetic.
Remove 11 of the clips from the bottom of the scoop (circled in pic).

Remove these things using the flathead screwdriver.

The bottom (when the hood is up, the back is the bottom) of the scoop is held to the RUBBER air director, using rubber nodes that go through holes in the scoop. You don’t need to remove these (its difficult anyways).

You have to pull the scoop out from behind the firewall material on the hood. A little gruntwork gets this done.
Allow the bottom of the scoop to just dangle from the rubber director.

Here it is dangling with my clip/tool saver covering the engine.

Lower the hood, and place the grill guard into the scoop hole. Mine fit tight, so once I pushed it in, it stayed fairly solid.
Put it is far back or forward as you wish. I put mine flush with the scoop opening. Make sure its not crooked.

From under the hood, use the Philips to mark the location of the screw holes on the grill. Make sure you mark the center of the hole, or your grill will be crooked when you drill the holes.

Remove the grill, and drill the holes. My drill is skinny enough to fit right into the hole of the scoop. If yours does not, you will need to figure out how to drill the holes flat and horizontal, otherwise the screws will be crooked.

I drilled a smaller pilot hole before drilling the final 3/16 hole.

Here is the hole from the bottom of the hood.

After the holes are drilled, place the grill in the scoop. Using some fancy finger work, place the screw pointing towards the outside of the scoop, as indicated by the Grillcraft instructions. Use the ¼” socket screwdriver to tighten.

Now you have an installed the scoop grill, to protect you from those nasty winter rocks hitting your TMIC.

The bright aluminum shinyness kind of sticks out against the black grill and my dark grey car. I will be using black nail polish to hide them. You could do this ahead of time, but don’t goop too much paint on the head of the screw, or it won’t fit in the socket screwdriver.

Offline STI_Crazy

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2013 Cayenne
Re: Howto: Grillcraft install on 08 wrx/legacy hoodscoop
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 06:30:51 pm »
It seems a bit more work than i'd expect but it doesn't look too difficult even for me! LOL

I'm still not a big fan of it though as i prefer to cover the actual TMIC instead.
I always think that the rocks will bounce of it onto my hood. Now i can easily remove them once i open the hood.

That's my opinion though. Nonetheless, you should have one or the other for sure.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »
I ordered both scoop and lower bumper guard.
Had I of known before hand that they require drilling, I migh have reconsidered. But I got them, so they will have to do.

I saw your post on the screen on the TMIC, but I thought I'd rather keep the junk out of the engine bay altogether.

Offline B4JUNE

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:59:59 pm »
Hey, thanks (2 years later!) for the 'how to' - gave me the motivation to install one myself since the TMIC in the 08's sure takes a beating...

Any chance you would post a pic of your entire front end that also shows your lower grill installed? I'm considering buying the lower grill myself. I've got a dark grey metallic 08 WRX sedan and it would be good to have reference of what the finished product looks like. Any thoughts on also replacing the mesh in the sport grill?

Thx

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:48:12 pm »
Any chance you would post a pic of your entire front end that also shows your lower grill installed? I'm considering buying the lower grill myself. I've got a dark grey metallic 08 WRX sedan and it would be good to have reference of what the finished product looks like. Any thoughts on also replacing the mesh in the sport grill?

I've had no need to replace the mesh on the sport grill. I don't really see why there would be a need.
It matches the grillcraft mesh pretty perfectly.

Offline G-Show

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 04:59:40 pm »
sick O0