Author Topic: Cheech00TS's WRB 2011 Impreza Limited Wagon  (Read 6413 times)

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRB Impreza Ltd wagon
09 STI RSB and Endlinks
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 07:14:01 am »
Just picked up the RSB yesterday, and the end links are a bit rusty but I'm sure I can clean that up. The new stock mounts will be in next week, and hopefully I'll have the time to install the same day. I'll post a list of the part numbers that I ordered ______ when I get a chance.  I'm excited for less body roll!
'06 2.5i Wagon: 60KM->sold
'01 Forester S: 217KM->sold
'10 2.5i Wagon: gone...
'07 WRX Wagon: 167,xxx really fun kms!
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
Re: Cheech00TS's WRB 2011 Impreza Limited Wagon
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 08:13:09 am »
Time for an update:

Over the summer I had a chance to upgrade my brakes to Stoptech pads and rotors which feel like a huge improvement. I also changed out spark plugs and wires (NGK) to refresh that old spark. I will be installing new Perrin front end links, Whiteline front sway bar bushings, and Perrin rear subframe lockdown kit (thanks Touge Tuning) sometime next week hopefully, so I'll post once that's complete but I expect the handling to improve and that front end clunk to go away.

My future mod list:

Koni Yellow adjustable struts F/R
Swift Sport Springs
Saggy butt spacers 1/2"
Exedy Clutch OEM Organic
Exedy Lightweight Flywheel
Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
Kartboy Short Shift Kit with TiC bushings
High Flow Cat-back exhaust
GroupN transmission mount

Custom tune from Airboy Tuning

It's a long list but I won't be doing anything until it's needed. I'm pretty pumped that Koni is finally making a full suspension setup for this body style, and I think the combination of those and Swift Sport springs will make a huge difference in the handling of the car. Touge Tuning will definitely be getting more of my business after my latest experience. Top shelf guys and great prices.

As for installation, if I can't handle it (Clutch/Flywheel) I'll be taking it to TT Auto on 118th ave. Again, great guys and really good prices.

Any suggestions?
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 01:58:37 pm »
Spent a few hours today fighting with my stock front endlinks trying to get an Allen key to fit into the bolt so I could hold it while turning the nut. What a system. Thanks Perrin(and all other aftermarket parts MFR) for using a simple nut/bolt system! Looking forward to the new Perrin endlinks and Whiteline sway bar bushings feeling much more planted in the front end.

Again, thanks to Touge Tuning for great service and for checking orders before shipping! They ended up finding a mismatched box/part before my order shipped which definitely saved both of us some time and headaches.

Next up, Perrin rear subframe lockdown kit.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
Rear Subframe Lockdown Kit and Front End Links Installed
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 09:02:41 am »
After a few weeks of driving with the Perrin Subframe Lockdown kit, front end links, and Whiteline front sway bar bushings installed, I think the most noticeable thing about the car is how solid it feels. The front doesn't clunk anymore and feels stable and responsive. The rear seems to have less body roll and feel more planted. I will say that the ride is a bit more firm. I don't think its a harsh ride by any means, but I have a feeling that my stock suspension is getting to the end of its life and once that is replaced I'm sure the car will feel great. The plan is still to go with the Koni/Swift combo and I think for DD and maybe a little light track use it should be perfect.

Next up: throttle body and MAF sensor cleaning to hopefully improve fuel mileage and get a bit of power back. I'd love to datalog the car before and after cleaning both to see if there's any change in AFR or torque/hp but I don't have the hardware (or the knowledge quite honestly). I'll have to settle for simple observation of fuel economy (via on board comp. calculation) which is likely an over-simplified estimation but its really all I've got at this point. Currently I'm using between 10 and 11 L/100 km in the city which seems poor, although the Subaru factory estimated fuel economy is in line with that number. I'll post some info after a few tanks of fuel, and hopefully I've got good news.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 12:42:00 pm »
EPA says 11.8L/100km city, so getting between 10 and 11 is pretty decent. It'll be tough to do a ton better with AWD and the EJ dinosaur.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

DaDuke99

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 04:55:51 pm »
Yeah I'm pretty conservative with the throttle, and I'm getting 11-12. When I had the brand spanking new car I was getting 10-11.. could be winter gas too, who knows. Don't expect too much more out of it  ;)

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
Dirty throttle body
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 02:43:09 pm »
So I just removed my entire air intake up to the throttle body, cleaned the MAF sensor by removing it from the intake tube and spraying it with MAF Cleaner, then partially removed the throttle body to clean both sides of it as well. When I removed the throttle body, both sides were dirty but the engine side had a huge oil build up that appears to have been there for a long time because even after spraying and wiping repeatedly with Throttle Body Cleaner, there's still some discoloration on the flapper. I've cleaned it as much as I could, but without removing it fully there is still some build up especially where the throttle flapper sits. It's much better than it was though.

Is that type of build up normal? The car has no mods, and 105xxx km. Are there any other possible issues that I should be wary of? What is the underlying cause? I'm going to do some more research on this (nasioc...) but any insight from informed WSC'ers would be appreciated as always.

I'd post a pic but I'm on my phone right now and haven't figured out how to make that work.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
PCV clean up
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 04:33:19 pm »
After a bit more research about the cause of the dirty throttle body, one of the suspects might be a clogged/sluggish PCV so I went back under the hood and removed the PCV to see how it was doing. When I took it out, I tried to shake it back and forth to see if I could hear the valve move at all and there was almost no sound which leads me to believe it was pretty gunked up. After a quick spray with some Throttle Body Cleaner, it was back to moving smoothly.

For anyone looking to replace or clean the PCV on N/A 2008-11 Impreza 2.5i, I have a pic of where its located (I'll load later) and there's one thing that caught me a bit off guard so hopefully my experience will help others. There's a large hex sleeve that swivels, which is mounted into the block I believe, and is also where the PCV threads in. There's a hose line coming off the passenger side that runs up to the airbox (attached to the throttle body) as well. The entire assembly is located beneath the distributor (where your spark plug wires all come together), and this is easily removed with 3 10mm bolts for better access. I had to use vicegrips to hold the "sleeve" in place while using a deep socket on the PCV to remove it. It was pretty tight, but I managed to get the PCV out and hopefully the car will run a bit smoother with a few little cleaning jobs taken care of. I'll keep an eye on the throttle body and see if the oily residue reappears.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 08:45:58 am »
New Suspension
After a lot of pricing and consideration, I decided to keep my suspension stock to save some money and retain my stock ride height. I would say that keeping my ride height the same was probably the most important factor in my decision to go with stock replacement KYB struts. I also took this opportunity to change out top hats, although the old ones felt fairly solid still. After 114xxx Kms it's clear that my old struts were getting tired; they were much easier to compress and slower to return to fully extended than the new ones. The difference is very noticeable once installed as well. Where my car used to bounce or compress excessively going in and out of parki lots for example, it now absorbs the change in height smoothly while still feeling firm. I'm sure that the Konis would have been nice but I couldn't justify the additional cost involved, not to mention the confusion between spring perch heights which may or may not have dropped the car depending on which strut my Impreza has.

I'll likely end up regretting my decision to keep the stock springs, since I had the whole setup out of the car, but I'm still trying to figure out the best spring to suit my needs. As of right now, I think my two best options are King and Swift, although I've heard a lot about RCE blacks as well. My issue with RCE and Swift is that I'll still need a spacer to retain stock height.

For now my next upgrade will be new lower ball joints up front, as they have started to make some noise after the strut install. I'm looking at Whiteline's KCA313 front roll centre adjustment kit but I'm not sure if it's designed for lowered vehicles only or if it will work with stock suspension. It will certainly be cheaper to find a stock replacement ball joint and only replace parts as needed, but I wonder how much of a difference in handling the Whiteline kit would make. Anyone who's got this kit feel free to give me your opinion.

Next up for mods, Kartboy shifter bushings f/r and maybe a tranny mount. Then it's time to start saving for some big engine work as my timing belt will be due soon and not a cheap job.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 09:30:39 am »
Replacing struts at 100k is pretty much a maintenance item as they can be worn out by then, depending on how they were treated. I strongly recommend not putting aftermarket springs on stock struts as the struts are valved for the stock springs. Koni's and RCE's work well on the GD platform, not sure about GR, and of course you're going to lower ride height.

As for the RCA kit, I always thought that was a geometry correction after lowering the vehicle. If you're not lowered why bother?

Shifter bushings are an absolute must after 100k. Also include the TiC shift linkage bushings as your OEM bushings will be sloppy by now (doing just F&R shifter bushings is only half the job). Group N tranny mount will tighten the shifting some more and add some NVH but some of us like those noises. If you haven't already done the dogbone consider a Group N there as well.

Edit: here's me thinking you had an STi. Make sure the parts are compatible with your platform.

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 08:22:26 am »

As for the RCA kit, I always thought that was a geometry correction after lowering the vehicle. If you're not lowered why bother?

Shifter bushings are an absolute must after 100k. Also include the TiC shift linkage bushings as your OEM bushings will be sloppy by now (doing just F&R shifter bushings is only half the job). Group N tranny mount will tighten the shifting some more and add some NVH but some of us like those noises. If you haven't already done the dogbone consider a Group N there as well.

That's my concern about the RCA kit as well, but one ball joint and one tie rod end are on their way out and to replace them with "premium" parts from NAPA would cost more than this kit so if I could upgrade to Whiteline and keep the geometry the same that seems ideal. I think I'll give Touge a call to confirm that this kit will work.

As for the shifter bushings, I totally forgot about the shift linkage bushing so good reminder. They're definitely starting to look and feel pretty rough so it's time.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 10:02:49 am »
You can do the RCA kit on stock ride height, it just might be a step backwards in geometry. If you know for sure you'll be lowered in the near future, go for it now. #yolo

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2017, 07:37:10 am »
After speaking with Mike from Touge Tuning, it sounds like the Whiteline kit is designed for lowered vehicles and would not be my best option. Looks like a trip to NAPA is on the horizon. Anyone with tips on how to make ball joint and tie rod end replacement go smoothly, please feel free to chime in!
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2017, 08:50:17 am »
Do you have the tools to separate them? The taper wedges in crazy tight. Lots of WD-40/PB Blaster/Whatever helps get the one end out of the ball joint out of the hub.

Give everything a good wash first, covering new parts in grit and dust feels bad.

Remove sway bar ends on the ground, you'll need them off so the lower control arms have some freedom of movement.

Count the number of turns on each tie rod as you take them off, and write it down. Helps you ballpark the steering alignment.

Check the boxes in store and make sure the new balljoint/tie rods come with a new nut and cotter pin. If not, pick those up.

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2017, 01:58:51 pm »
Do you have the tools to separate them? The taper wedges in crazy tight. Lots of WD-40/PB Blaster/Whatever helps get the one end out of the ball joint out of the hub.

Give everything a good wash first, covering new parts in grit and dust feels bad.

Remove sway bar ends on the ground, you'll need them off so the lower control arms have some freedom of movement.

Count the number of turns on each tie rod as you take them off, and write it down. Helps you ballpark the steering alignment.

Check the boxes in store and make sure the new balljoint/tie rods come with a new nut and cotter pin. If not, pick those up.

Great tips man. I'll make sure to check all of that as I go. Not sure if this will get done before the snow flies, which means a lot of cleaning and a day in the garage before I start.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 01:24:39 pm »
Mods have taken a back seat to other hobbies lately, but I did manage to save enough money to get the timing belt and water pump replaced (all related pulleys and tensioners) last summer. Since the engine was coming out anyway, I ordered a new Exedy stock clutch and Exedy lightweight flywheel.

To those who may be considering the lightweight flywheel, it will change the way the car starts from dead stop, as well as how the clutch feels overall. I was/am not overly happy with the change as the car has become more difficult to drive in stop and go traffic, and I'm not sure that it accelerates much faster than it did with the stock flywheel. There's no question its lighter, so I would hope that the car is a bit more efficient, but I think that increasing the idle RPM a little would help eliminate shutter if I'm not hitting the engagement point perfectly with the right RPMs. Currently, I need to rev up slightly (to between 800-900) before getting a nice smooth start, and its just been a frustrating change from the way the stock clutch behaves. In all fairness, I was aware that this might happen but I really didn't know whether I was going to be ok with it or not so I decided to try it. Live and learn.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 01:32:41 pm »
NA TUNING COMING UP

Turbo drivers, you may want to look away for this...

I know there's not much to be gained from tuning NA Subaru engines. Full Stop.

I also believe an experienced engine builder when he says there's room for improvement in drivability and responsiveness as it applies to the stock tune. I've ordered a Tractrix 2.0 cable and I'm currently trying to figure out how to run RomRaider on a MacBook so that I have the ability to store the stock tune and revert to it if necessary. I don't think I plan on changing any of the parameters on my own, I just want to have this as a way for someone who understands tuning to make some adjustments and hopefully make the car a bit more fun and efficient. I'm planning to make a trip to Calgary soon to get some initial tuning done, so when that happens I'll post my impressions as well as the changes that have been made.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 02:03:42 pm »
Make sure you have a wideband as well so you can do your own data logs.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 02:40:42 pm »
NA TUNING COMING UP

Turbo drivers, you may want to look away for this...

Matthew 27:24

jk.  Nah, I think if it's something you want to pursue and can afford, then the education and experience itself is worthwhile.  I look forward to your updates.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 03:16:07 pm »
I hated my Spec lightweight flywheel for the first couple weeks, now I couldnt live without it. Bumping the idle up 100rpm really helped as well.

I would say go for the NA tuning, my VW only has like 80hp but rowing through the gears at full throttle barely braking the speed limit is pretty fun!

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2019, 05:25:14 pm »
I hated my Spec lightweight flywheel for the first couple weeks, now I couldnt live without it. Bumping the idle up 100rpm really helped as well.

I would say go for the NA tuning, my VW only has like 80hp but rowing through the gears at full throttle barely braking the speed limit is pretty fun!

I'm with ya. I don't need to break a land speed record to have fun. Just please don't take away my gears...
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2019, 08:13:11 am »
So I took a drive to a trusted engine builder yesterday to make a few slight changes to the stock maps for my car. I was very clear about my expectations, and also my limited understanding of tuning in general. I told him about my issues with the lightweight flywheel being much more difficult to engage smoothly, so we increased the idle rpms slightly when the car gets up to operating temp and it has definitely helped reduce shudder.

He also took a look at the timing and advanced it slightly at lower rpms. It seems to drive a lot more smoothly now, and I’ve even seen an improvement in fuel mileage from 8.2 down to 7.0 l/100km (per on board display). Power from 3000 rpm up feels more responsive as well.

I would love to do some logging to make sure that these changes aren’t having any ill effects, even though I’ve been assured that they are well within acceptable ranges. I’m still very new to this process and I haven’t logged at all, so if anyone with some logging experience would like to help me out I would really appreciate it.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2019, 08:26:39 am »
Along with some tuning, I was able to track down a Kartboy SS and actually installed it in the driveway while I was waiting for the engine builder to finish another job.

This will come as no surprise, but the shifts are much shorter, and feel much more direct. I’ll be replacing the stock shifter bushings later this week when they arrive from Touge Tuning. I’m sure that will only add to the precise feel of locking into gear as opposed to falling in. By far one of the best mods for the money because you can appreciate it every time you shift!
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2019, 02:00:30 pm »
One quick note though: I noticed a squeak after installing the SS, so I cleaned all of the old grease (and grit, somehow?!?) out of the cup where the pivot ball sits, reinstalled everything, but still had a squeak! Turns out, the shaft of the front piece of the shifter linkage was rubbing on a rubber dust boot below and to the driver’s side of the ECU. A little grease along that linkage shaft was all it took to solve. I took a pic to better display the problem area.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
Shifter bushings installed
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2019, 08:19:04 am »
Finally finished the shifter upgrade by installing front and rear Kartboy shifter bushings. The shifts feel crisp and precise now, and combined with the short shifter, the car is just more fun to drive. No HP gains, no 0-60 improvements, just more fun.

Next up, Group N Transmission mount and Perrin Pitch Stop mount. I may try to pick up the Whiteline Positive Shift Kit at the same time since the majority of the work will already be done to replace them.
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon