Author Topic: Cold air vs short ram  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Rs_Stealth

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 07 subaru impreza wagon
Cold air vs short ram
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:16:57 pm »
So I'm trying to decide what I want to put into my 2.5 rs, a cold air intake kit or just to do a short ram kit. Why would be more beneficial? 
#publicmenace

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
Re: Cold air vs short ram
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 01:35:28 pm »
Whichever one sounds better to you, because there aren't a lot of HP gains to be had either way.

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 01:36:43 pm »
I personally run short ram in the winter to avoid snow and ice build up, the cold air goes on the summer set up for me
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 01:37:13 pm »
there aren't a lot of HP gains to be had either way.
Blasphemy!
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 02:39:57 pm »
I personally run short ram in the winter to avoid snow and ice build up, the cold air goes on the summer set up for me

I hope your maf section is the same diameter and you are tuned for it.

Offline goldrush

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »
For my application, big tubo, FMIC; I believe big, straight and short is best. Its kind of noisy but with a long curvy 3" CAI my turbo (Garrett BB) would allow oil by the compressor seal and a short almost straight 4" intake solved a lot of it. Also my used oil analysis showed a large drop in Silicon (dirt).

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:36:17 pm »
I hope your maf section is the same diameter and you are tuned for it.
. Pfft who needs a tune
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline Rs_Stealth

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 10:24:12 am »
Cool cool, iv been looking in to a k&n cold air I just wasn't to sure what would be better. Then to prevent it from getting wet and have ice build up in the winter I could have a shield for it.
#publicmenace

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 10:45:04 am »
I like the idea of having something with an airbox thats fed external air to protect the filter or a short ram with a good heat shield and fed external air, even though it's in the engine bay its safer from the elements and on a daily driven car I'd rather the bit of safety and reliability over lower intake temps. I was going to go with a cold air intake but just don't like the idea of my filter in the wheel well basically, especially since I've ripped out a few wheel liners before and would be bad if I got stuck a distance from home, in the rain. I'd go with something like the COBB or K&N like you said if you're set on going aftermarket but like Grant said It's not going to help with performance a whole lot. Put a lightweight crank pulley on if you haven't already, it will be cheaper and you'll notice the benefits more, especially on a N/A motor I'd imagine.

Offline Brianmachinist

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatchback
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 11:08:10 am »
I got the 65mm APS CAI and it sounds great but I'm a ricer and I like to hear myself drive.  The benefits will be seen best with a tune, obviously more air flowing in.  Keep an eye on the filter once or twice a season, my filter was disgustingly gross after seeing it the first time and I have fender liners.  And to change filter I had to jack up the passenger side so the filter would clear the front tire.  5 mins instead of 5 seconds with short ram. 

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 12:30:55 pm »
Short rams will also be a lot easier to maintain. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline greasemedic

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 05 RS
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 09:14:43 pm »
Before you do either, read this thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

There are potential issues in a MAF intake with removing the hemholtz resonator that's part of the stock intake setup.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 09:35:24 pm »
Put a lightweight crank pulley on if you haven't already, it will be cheaper and you'll notice the benefits more, especially on a N/A motor I'd imagine

I installed a lw pulley this weekend on my car and didn't feel much of a difference. Maybe it's just me.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Rs_Stealth

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 10:35:26 pm »
I got the 65mm APS CAI and it sounds great but I'm a ricer and I like to hear myself drive.  The benefits will be seen best with a tune, obviously more air flowing in.  Keep an eye on the filter once or twice a season, my filter was disgustingly gross after seeing it the first time and I have fender liners.  And to change filter I had to jack up the passenger side so the filter would clear the front tire.  5 mins instead of 5 seconds with short ram.

I'm not to worried about cleaning it cause I would probably end up cleaning it every two months or something like that haha. Does it change the sound quite a bit?
#publicmenace

Offline Rs_Stealth

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 10:39:12 pm »
I like the idea of having something with an airbox thats fed external air to protect the filter or a short ram with a good heat shield and fed external air, even though it's in the engine bay its safer from the elements and on a daily driven car I'd rather the bit of safety and reliability over lower intake temps. I was going to go with a cold air intake but just don't like the idea of my filter in the wheel well basically, especially since I've ripped out a few wheel liners before and would be bad if I got stuck a distance from home, in the rain. I'd go with something like the COBB or K&N like you said if you're set on going aftermarket but like Grant said It's not going to help with performance a whole lot. Put a lightweight crank pulley on if you haven't already, it will be cheaper and you'll notice the benefits more, especially on a N/A motor I'd imagine.

I was thinking I might do a short ram and a light weight crank pulley, see what I can get out of this little rs
#publicmenace

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 01:14:57 pm »
You'd notice more taking out the spare tire and back seat.  Also, lighter wheels.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Rs_Stealth

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 05:43:52 pm »
You'd notice more taking out the spare tire and back seat.  Also, lighter wheels.
I already got lighter wheels and maybe I'll take out the spare tire. But I have a few people in my car at a time lol so I can't take out my back seat.
#publicmenace

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 10:35:36 pm »
Whichever one sounds better to you, because there aren't a lot of are no HP gains to be had either way.

Fixed.

OP - You're not getting more power using a CAI or SR intake on a naturally aspirated motor. If you want to spend the money for some sucking sound, then great, but don't fool yourself into thinking that it'll be beneficial.

Have a read through the threads here: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=5933.0

From someone who used to have an RS, trust me when I say that you'd be better off spending the money on aesthetics and suspension than on anything to do with "power".
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Way-do

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Focus ST
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 08:45:30 am »
If you want to do it despite all the nay-sayers have a read through the hybrid intake thread on NASIOC.  MY 07 2.5i had it, and I actually noticed a difference in 5th up hill. It would actually hold its speed instead of falling off.  That's the only time.

If you really want to wake the car up a bit, a set of reground cams from the great folks a Delta does wonders. 
The 1500 grind is just super.
Best FtLbs/$ there is.

I think my for sale thread is long gone, but I've got lots of stuff for your car taking up space in the garage.  Shoot me a PM.

Offline ChanceSkeleton

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS SRP Sedan
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:51 am »
Uhhh... hmmm...

I did a ganzflow, but I'm not sure if they work for 02+. I diy'd mine out of some flexible couplers and ABS piping. Costs like 25 bucks. But I also have a 00 2.5 RS, which is really easy to mod.