Author Topic: WRX Wing Lift  (Read 1948 times)

Offline munsternoms

• Stubbly Faced
WRX Wing Lift
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:19:01 pm »
I am looking at this for my 13' WRX. I am not a huge fan of the STI wing swaps for the hatches, and I am not a huge fan of the stock wing the way it is. I am looking at: http://perrinperformance.com/i-13324003-wing-riser-kit-for-2008-14-wrx-sti-hatchback.html

Has anybody ran into any issues with this? Just want to know what I am getting myself into before I buy the first real drill your own holes mod I have done to my car.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Re: WRX Wing Lift
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:08 pm »
Richie_Rich has them installed.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39339.0

Spacing seems kinda oddly uneven though.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:38:24 pm »
For me, I have a box on the roof most of the winter, and clearance is already an issue with the stock wing. A wing lift would make that worse.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline richie_rich

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 Airboy Stage 2 SWP WRX
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 08:13:19 am »
There are six spacer posts.  The one that Claw sees that is oddly uneven (and I agree with, thats one of the things that bothers me about it) is actually the wire loom that holds the wires for the brake light, and the hose for the washer nozzle.  A couple other minor annoyances with the riser kit that I have are:

1) Perrin says you can't open the hatch all the way, they include stoppers to prevent full opening of the hatch so the wing doesn't hit the roof.  It took a bit of adjusting, but I figured out a way to adjust the risers so that I have full hatch opening travel.  My stoppers are now sitting in the Perrin box.

2) The washer nozzle now squirts on the ground, and will not even be usable at all if you're not stopped.  Depending on how you angle the wing or add spacers, your nozzle will squirt the washer fluid on the ground.  Not bad in the spring/summer as when I'm stopped at a light, I will just push the squirter button quick a few times, and most of it ends up on the window.  If you're moving, you get nothing, as the wind now flowing underneath the wing takes the fluid away onto the car behind you (perfect if someone follows you too closely).  I take the whole setup off in the winter.

If you can live with those, I personally love the mod as it gives the car a bit more of an aggressive look.

And since 09, isn't the WRX wing the same as the STI wing?

DaftCzar

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:35:24 pm »
There are six spacer posts.  The one that Claw sees that is oddly uneven (and I agree with, thats one of the things that bothers me about it) is actually the wire loom that holds the wires for the brake light, and the hose for the washer nozzle.  A couple other minor annoyances with the riser kit that I have are:

1) Perrin says you can't open the hatch all the way, they include stoppers to prevent full opening of the hatch so the wing doesn't hit the roof.  It took a bit of adjusting, but I figured out a way to adjust the risers so that I have full hatch opening travel.  My stoppers are now sitting in the Perrin box.

2) The washer nozzle now squirts on the ground, and will not even be usable at all if you're not stopped.  Depending on how you angle the wing or add spacers, your nozzle will squirt the washer fluid on the ground.  Not bad in the spring/summer as when I'm stopped at a light, I will just push the squirter button quick a few times, and most of it ends up on the window.  If you're moving, you get nothing, as the wind now flowing underneath the wing takes the fluid away onto the car behind you (perfect if someone follows you too closely).  I take the whole setup off in the winter.

If you can live with those, I personally love the mod as it gives the car a bit more of an aggressive look.

And since 09, isn't the WRX wing the same as the STI wing?

1) Using only 4 of 6 mounting points. Outside ones no additional spacer washers. Next two in 5 spacer washers each. Middle two mounts not used.

2) Also had to spin the rear wiper sprayer 180 in the mount (some modification needed) so it hits the window not the car behind.