Author Topic: Airboy's other white car (2015 WRX...stock mufflers)  (Read 17031 times)

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
Re: Airboy's other white car (2015 WRX...well that looks nasty)
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2015, 09:39:01 PM »
soon...

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
Re: Airboy's other white car (2015 WRX...carbon be gone)
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »

Online kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
  • Ride: 2016 CWP WRX
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2015, 06:10:58 PM »
 :angel: Ohhhhhhhhhhh, fancy!!

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
Re: Airboy's other white car (2015 WRX...carbon..be gone!)
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2015, 03:05:41 PM »
Not sure how much (if any) carbon had been removed after ~1.5L of meth mixture but warm weather is disappearing fast so back on the dyno it went.

Online 10secdream

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
That is a mighty fine torque curve. I am assuming that the small turbo is running out of steam in the top end?
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline RockThePylon

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2015, 03:29:50 PM »
Yummy. +20ft-lbs everywhere.

Now take it apart again, gotta see them valves!
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline cha0tik

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '14 IS350 F-Sport | 2003 S2000
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2015, 03:31:12 PM »
Is Husky 94 not a good idea for an Aquamist kit?
My 2016 Subaru WRX

To err is human, to arr is pirate.

Online 10secdream

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2015, 03:32:55 PM »
Not sure how Husky 94 has anything to do with running methanol injection. I am just assuming that he wants to tune for Shell 91 rather than Husky 94.

So you didn't actually clean the valves just inspected? I guess it will be a good trial run to see if the methanol injection helps clean off the carbon. How long will you go before inspecting again? How often is the methanol injected?
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline cha0tik

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
Not sure how Husky 94 has anything to do with running methanol injection. I am just assuming that he wants to tune for Shell 91 rather than Husky 94.

I was thinking more along the lines of winter coming up, and perhaps Shell 91 being preferred in the colder weather. From a tuning perspective, I'm simply not sure how the type of fuel would react with the meth as well as other extraneous factors like the weather (since Sunny mentioned it).
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2015, 05:11:17 PM »
That is a mighty fine torque curve. I am assuming that the small turbo is running out of steam in the top end?

The turbo can hold more boost.  I tapered it down since it is still pushing against the stock exhaust.

Is Husky 94 not a good idea for an Aquamist kit?

I just happen to be running 91 in the tank (switched before our road trip in October).  I mentioned the cold weather only because I wanted to keep the dyno sessions within reasonable temperature range.

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
Re: Airboy's other white car (2015 WRX...well that looks better)
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
Before (Cylinder 2, I think)

After ~2.5L of meth.
Cylinder 2

Cylinder 4

Offline cha0tik

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Airboy's other white car (2015 WRX...carbon removal)
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2015, 10:20:42 PM »
To MY untrained eye, the right one seems to be a tad cleaner. That huge chunk seems to have disappeared.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Offline Stehle

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2015, 07:23:40 AM »
To MY untrained eye, the right one seems to be a tad cleaner. That huge chunk seems to have disappeared.

I agree with this.

What conditions are you injecting meth based on? RPM? Boost?

Offline BradM

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Outback
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2015, 05:51:46 PM »
You guys only see a tad difference? You can see the metal now on the right one!  And look at the walls they are cleaner now as well.

Offline dudder

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: beat up BD
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »
I think we would all be very interested in any details you care to share on the system and your install.

What percentage of methanol are you using?

I did some research on aquamist they have multiple options for load based injection reference (map, maf, injector) which are you using?

Are you using the PWM valve the offer to meter injection?

Do you find that you are having to trim fuel to compensate for the fuel content of the water/methanol mixture?

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2015, 08:48:26 PM »
What conditions are you injecting meth based on? RPM? Boost?

It is set up to be proportional to fuel injector flow (based on pulsewidth and fuel pressure).  I have set it up to start spraying at ~4psi of boost.  This relatively low threshold is used to increase the amount and frequency of meth injection events to aid the cleaning process.  After the system was functioning I drove to Cochrane and went up/down the hill (~3km one way) 5 times, basically holding boost at 5-6psi for as much of the climb as possible, for sustained meth (50/50 mix) spray.

There is still a good amount of oil that comes from the PCV system so I may have to do something about that.

Offline Delphiwrx

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX Hatch WRB
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »
It is set up to be proportional to fuel injector flow (based on pulsewidth and fuel pressure).  I have set it up to start spraying at ~4psi of boost.  This relatively low threshold is used to increase the amount and frequency of meth injection events to aid the cleaning process.  After the system was functioning I drove to Cochrane and went up/down the hill (~3km one way) 5 times, basically holding boost at 5-6psi for as much of the climb as possible, for sustained meth (50/50 mix) spray.

There is still a good amount of oil that comes from the PCV system so I may have to do something about that.

I'd recommend this setup from IAG.  It lets you run a PCV with the one below. 

http://www.iagperformance.com/IAG-Street-Series-Air-Oil-Separator-AOS-2015-WRX-p/iag-eng-7101.htm
~Mods~
CNT Quad Tip Catback, Custom Catless Downpipe, AEM 340 Fuel Pump,Turbo XS Front Mount Intercooler, BorgWarner S257SXE Turbo,ID1000 injectors, Grimmspeed EBCS. Manley H-Tuff Rods, Manley 99.75mm pistons, ARP 2000 Headstuds, 79mm OEM Crank, STI 6 Speed Swap, Cadillac ATS Brembos, Tomei ELH, AEM Meth Injection

Online wrx-zrx

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2007 STI
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2015, 09:51:10 AM »
You guys only see a tad difference? You can see the metal now on the right one!  And look at the walls they are cleaner now as well.

A tad difference in visible deposit would be an accurate description.

A big difference between what is visible in the pics is also an accurate description.

Here is what I see. #1 -different lighting. (understandable due to the method of photography) This results in a visual of what may, or may not be less accumulation on the runner walls. #2 - Valves that have been moving around doing their jobs. Don't forget that when valves move they are also free to spin. The spin appears to explain the appearance of less deposit, I believe it's still there essentially unchanged we just have a different view. #3 - Valves again, they are clearly resting in a different position of the intake/exhaust cycle. The part that appears to be shiny and be clean when compared to the previous is in fact the runner on the other side of the valve that we could not see before because of the closed valve position.

These are my observations, right or wrong only time will tell if the meth injection is going to do what it's expected too in this application. There is no reason to doubt that it will.

Offline dudder

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: beat up BD
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2015, 05:31:43 PM »

I understand that the intent isn't to completely vaporize the 50/50 mix in the intake, just wondering what your thoughts are on the effect of manifold temperature and the pressure? Specifically, I'm wondering if you intend to disable the system under extremely cold conditions due to atomization concerns? I have zero experience with these systems ...

I was thinking about a small DIY windshield washer fluid system that would inject based on pressure and maybe temperature (two switches in series). The temperature and pressure would be set high enough that it would only inject when the turbo was pushing hardish. A basic surflo pump and nozzle that pulls directly from the washer fluid reservoir. I assumed injection would be downstream of the inter cooler to avoid droplet dropout.

I have been looking for a catch can that is a little more OEM looking. With zero mods on the car a big billet $400 AOS is going to be a little gaudy. Any thoughts on these two?

Mann ProVent 200 $150 CAD on eBay

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/service/catalogues/pdf/ProVent_en_2013.pdf

Purolator also manufactures a AOS AS-902 without the relief valves etc. (which I like) Supposedly $70ish although I haven't found one actually for sale yet. They are OE on Porsches so I'm sure they are available.

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
Re: Airboy's other white car (2015 WRX...blinky)
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2015, 04:23:49 PM »
Installed "Tail as Turn" module from Diode Dynamics, as well as the LED flasher module.  All parts available at Vex Performance.

Flasher/Relay module next tothe steering column

Tail Light harness

Videos: Turn Signal, Turn Signal+Headlights, Turn Signal+Headlights+Brakes
Before

After

Online 10secdream

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Airboy's other white car (2015 WRX...blinky lights)
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2015, 04:34:21 PM »
Love this mod for the 2015+ WRX and STI.

What did you end up doing with the factory turn signal bulb?
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
Re: Airboy's other white car (2015 WRX...blinky lights)
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »
Love this mod for the 2015+ WRX and STI.

What did you end up doing with the factory turn signal bulb?

Nothing at this time.  Thought about extra reverse lighting but my windows aren't tinted.

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
Re: Airboy's other white car (2015 WRX...stock mufflers)
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
Put the OEM mufflers back on today.  Not sure if the mufflers from the Nameless axle-back got louder over time or just me.  Have to try other options next Spring I guess.

Offline cha0tik

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »
Put the OEM mufflers back on today.  Not sure if the mufflers from the Nameless axle-back got louder over time or just me.  Have to try other options next Spring I guess.

From what I've seen on other cars as well as from what Nameless has told me, their "muffling material" will degrade over time at a faster rate than OEM. That's why I opted for the deletes again.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2015, 07:58:15 PM »
With the Nameless axle-back, engine/exhaust noise comes from the back seat area and pervasive even at low throttle openings.  With the stock mufflers back in, engine/exhaust noise is muted such that the majority of it comes from the dash area (low throttle driving or cruising).

Hopped into my 06WRX wagon today to compare and the MadDad Whisper CBE+Full-Race manifold+downpipe turned out quieter/less intrusive at low throttle than the Nameless axle-back on the 2015 WRX.