Author Topic: Help with my HID Retrofit  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Prelude

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: Black WRX Sedan "B-Rex"
Help with my HID Retrofit
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:09:26 PM »
Hey Guys,

So i purchased a retrofit kit from the Retrofit Source and was wondering if anyone has time either Sunday or Monday to help with the install. It is for my 2006 WRX. i have never baked a car part and it makes me nervous and I am more than willing to donate some beers for the cause.

Thanks for the response.

Offline REX

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
Re: Help with my HID Retrofit
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 07:35:40 PM »
I'd help if I were in Edmonton. I was just as nervous when I did mine, it's really not hard at all. The lens should come off easy enough, if its not coming apart just put it back in the over for a few more minutes until it comes apart. If you have any questions feel free to PM me  :)

Offline Claw

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | 06S2k
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:00:06 PM »
I don't have an oven you could use, but it's really quite simple.  Pop your headlight on a baking tray and stick it in the oven as per directions:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2163744

Remember to:
- Remove all bulbs/harnesses/wiring, screws that hold the halves together.  Adjustment screws are ok to leave in.
- Wear heatproof mitts

Don't overcook it.  And when the light comes out of the heaven, don't put the clear part down on anything, as it's a little soft then it'll misshape easily.  Don't really need to preheat the oven either.

HTH,
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline e13tankbuster

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »
It's super easy, I just did mine.  12 min or so @ 220.  I have a lot of the butyl rubber leftover if you want some, I can cut you a chunk. You'd hafta come get it though, I'll be busy wrenching on my own car this weekend or else I'd help.
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

otakusan

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:41:20 PM »
I suggest using a heat gun only on the areas were the glue are.  Baking the whole head light is very risky in my opinion.

1) every oven is a little different, and you really don't know if one part of the oven is hotter than another.
2) depending on the age of your head light, and how much sun it has seen it's life time, it will react differently when baked (chance of micro cracking on the surface of your head light lens)
3) if you don't have a HUGE oven, you risk the parts getting too close to oven edge or heat element causing burn marks.

Sure you can damage a head light with heat gun as well if not used properly... don't stay at one spot, keep moving around the glued areas, do not point it on the clear lens, start a bit farther away from the head light until you learn how hot your heat gun gets.

(this is only a suggestion based on my logic and experience with retrofitting head lights, and I'm stating the above ONLY to give you a heads up on the risks with sticking a head light in an oven)

best of luck with your retrofit.

Offline Prelude

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »
Thanks for the advice i will try to tackle this, this weekend. e13tankbuster thanks for the offer on the glue, i actually bought some as well. did you leave the old glue in place and put the new glue right over it or did you remove the old glue and replace it?

Offline e13tankbuster

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 09:11:22 AM »
Leave the old.. The new stuff is really hard to cut. I kinda sliced through it with a utility knife and peeled it down, heat it up with a heat gun if you have one and then roll it like dough really thin and stuff it into the crevice.. Reheat in oven and re-sammich that thing while warm..

Offline Tenacious_B

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 09:14:08 AM »
The headlight baking part of a retro fit doesn't scare me, done that part, beyond easy.

The actual 'cutting the headlight reflectors apart and installing projectors' part scares the hell out of me, I'd love to a 'real' projector retrofit on my Foz, but.... too scared.
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline Claw

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | 06S2k
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
^ yeah, this.. that's why I bought a backup set of headlights before I ventured out to do mine.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline e13tankbuster

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »
^ yeah, this.. that's why I bought a backup set of headlights before I ventured out to do mine.
Same..

Offline Prelude

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 10:18:21 AM »
The headlight baking part of a retro fit doesn't scare me, done that part, beyond easy.

The actual 'cutting the headlight reflectors apart and installing projectors' part scares the hell out of me, I'd love to a 'real' projector retrofit on my Foz, but.... too scared.

what??.... are you guys talking about just the project lens? i bought the kit that includes everything but i don't remember reading anything about cutting.

Offline e13tankbuster

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 11:49:18 AM »
I didn't cut anything, I got a second set of lights though..

otakusan

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 01:10:50 PM »
your car already comes with projectors in the first place, so there shouldn't be any cutting  :)  just a matter of replacing the halogen projector assemblies with the HID ones.

When you got the head lights warm and separating the front lens from the rest of the assembly, the glue kind of looks like cheese (when you lift a slice of hot pizza from a whole pizza, they stick).  They become a mess so most people end up pulling away some of that stretched out glue... so you loose a bit of glue.  The new glue is pretty much used to add a bit back in so you have enough glue to seal.  But be careful not to add too much back in, or else they squirt all over the place when you put the front lenses back on.

Offline Tenacious_B

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »
what??.... are you guys talking about just the project lens? i bought the kit that includes everything but i don't remember reading anything about cutting.

I'm just talking about what I'd need to do to my Foz to do a projector swap.... carry on.
I used to drive Subaru's.