Author Topic: Dylan's 1996 WRX - The End.  (Read 39554 times)

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Dylan's 1996 WRX - The End.
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:29:46 pm »
Before I ever thought about buying a Subaru I had a 1991 Nissan Silvia Club K and what a fun little car that was. Unfortunately I was quite young when I bought the car and made the mistake of letting my friend drive it and well...he crashed it into the side of a brick wall and that was the end of my Silvia.

Fast forward a few years and quite a lot of maturing. I was looking for another car (after a few other small fun summer only cars) that was functional, looked good and still had some power in it. I stumbled across a 2007 WRX Wagon, went and test drove it and bought it the next day without much thought. I drove that car for maybe 10 months and realized it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Loved the large trunk and backseat for camping etc. but the car felt too big for my liking. So I sold that car to a good friend of mine and started looking for another car.

I definitely wanted another Subaru. I was looking for an 04-07 WRX or STi when another member on the forum offered to show and possibly sell me his 1996 WRX. I figured if I went with this car I would still have the functionality and power etc. of the car I was looking for but for a fraction of the price. So I went and saw the car and immediately fell in love with it. The car felt so much more responsive and tight than the wagon not to mention a lot peppier. A week later the car was mine and I couldn't be happier.

My plans for the car are to have a reliable, fun, daily driver that can turn heads.

Interior:
NRG quick release 2.8 - black w/neochrome ring
Nardi Deep Corn steering wheel - 350mm perforated leather w/red stitching
WC Lathe Werks titanium teardrop shift knob - burnt titanium fade
Pionner AVH X5700BHS head unit
JL Audio single 10TW3 PowerWedge sub
JL Audio XD600/1v2 Monoblock Class D amp - 600w
JL Audio TR650-CXi rear speakers
Pioneer TS-A1675R front speakers

Exterior:
18% tint all around
Rally Armor mudflaps
Powder coated stock wheels
Yellow Lamin X on fog lights
Version 8 low scoop
Version 5 STI spoiler
Black housing Depo headlights/corners
Ht Auto Jun front lip
Skid plate
Depo clear side markers

Suspension/wheels:
Whistler KR1 17x8 et30
Nokian Hakka 8 studded tires - winter
Front strut bar
BC Racing BR coilovers

Shifting
Kartboy front/rear shifter bushings
Whiteline positive shift kit

Exhaust:
STI catback with staggered 3" Aspec blast pipes

Other
Walbro 255 fuel pump

Future mods:
Swaybar(s)
Endlinks
Complete interior makeover - Somewhere in the future

I would love to paint the car eventually but I have a hard time justifying spending that much money at once just to paint a car, but we will see.

I don't have many photos from when I bought the car but now that I have started this I will do my best to document everything I do with the car.

I will keep posting progress photos below so it is easier to see it/compare each stage of its life:

Interior before:

Interior after:

IMG_0893 by dylanjuneau780, on Flickr

IMG_0912 by dylanjuneau780, on Flickr

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Dylans 1996 WRX
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 10:10:18 am »
Ordering a JUN style front lip this weekend. Was thinking about getting my side skirts, lip (when it arrives) and rear spats painted to match the body, but my car is so many shades of white right now I will just probably plasti dip them all black for the time being.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:07:41 pm »
Not a huge update but I ordered my front lip, hopefully it gets here within a week or 2. Also applied yellow film to my fog lights today during my lunch break, really like how they look.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:00:35 pm »
Small update.

Ended up cancelling my order for the lip due to it taking up to 2 months to be delivered. But, thanks to a fellow member I will be picking up a Chargespeed Rep lip this Friday. Hopefully will have it installed before I head out to Submit Saturday morning.

Also thanks to Goodveet I will be taking the Version 8 low scoop off his hands at the meet.

Offline My Dad

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • 9K all day
  • Ride: 12 STI Hatch/ K20 Hybrid EK Hatch
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:54:20 pm »
I almost regret selling you this rig  :P would come in handy in a few months haha. Looking good, keep it up!
I love long walks on the beach with my girlfriend, until the LSD wears off and I realize I'm just dragging a stolen mannequin around a Wendy's parking lot.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:07:35 pm »
I almost regret selling you this rig  :P would come in handy in a few months haha. Looking good, keep it up!

Thanks dude!

Haha I still love it just as much as the day I bought it, haven't had a single problem with it either.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:48 am »
Thanks dude!

Haha I still love it just as much as the day I bought it, haven't had a single problem with it either.

Thats great. Kinda makes me want to pick one up.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:56:05 am »
It's a fantastic car and for the price of these you can't go wrong. But that's just my experience, I am sure many others have different opinions.

Cleaned up the interior a little yesterday. Had some ugly 3 lighter plug in thing taped/shoved into the top storage space so I took that out and gave it a clean. Now just to get a new deck so I can listen to music again lol.

Also need to get rid of that incredibly ugly accordion shift boot!!

Might get hassled for this but I had a little fun with my winter wheels the other night  8)

Offline goodveet

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: GC8 WRX STi
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 03:29:45 am »
Sure is colorful lol, looks good though!

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:32 am »
That is BRIGHT!!! :)

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 02:09:56 pm »
Also need to get rid of that incredibly ugly accordion shift boot!!

No way! those things look amazing!
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »
No way! those things look amazing!

Ratty S10.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 07:30:09 am »
Sorry, the accordion shift boot is a major part of why the car is awesome.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 04:10:44 pm »
Well looks like I got screwed over on my front lip once again.

I started talking to the person selling the lip about 2.5 weeks ago and he requested that I let him refinish the lip before he sells it to me so I don't have to refinish it myself, I agreed as long as I could pick it up by the 25th so I could have it installed for SubMit 86. A week before the meet I texted him and said not to worry about refinishing it as I was worried it wouldn't be done in time, he assured me it would be and that it was no problem for him. Friday the 25th comes (day before the meet) and I get in contact with him and find out that he went to BC randomly and the lip was not finished. I was somewhat annoyed but figured I would pick it up when he told me he would be back (July 26th). Well I still can't get a hold of him so he has lost my interest in buying, looks like I will just order one from HT Auto.

On a positive note I picked up my Version 8 low scoop on Saturday at the meet. Thanks a bunch to Goodveet for the part and to LilDrunkenSmurf for delivering it to me, much appreciated!

Will put up photos once I am off work and at home.

Offline goodveet

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: GC8 WRX STi
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:28:33 pm »
Should look good!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Dylans 1996 WRX - Now with more scoop
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 06:34:05 am »
Snow shovel scoop is best scoop.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 08:15:49 am »
Snow shovel scoop is best scoop.

I was a little unsure about it when I first put it on but I really like the look of it now. I feel like I might need a Version 5 wing now to compliment the bigger scoop.

On another note, took my car in to First Gear the other day for an oil change (very cheap there and quick btw) and found out that my brakes are basically gone. I wasn't surprised as I have noticed a decrease in braking power lately and have been looking into replacing them soon anyways. So my car goes back in to First Gear next week for all new brakes!

Also got a raise at work so I am going to start looking at new wheels/tires for next summer as well as suspension. I am very picky and indecisive so it might take me quite some time before I choose the wheels and size I like. I am thinking for wheel size somewhere around 17x8 et42, not entirely sure what you can fit under the GC body though (will be on coils and have no problem rolling my fenders).

EDIT:

I have decided to go with Work Emotion XD9 in 17x7.5 et42 - Having trouble finding these in the size I want so might have to start looking at other wheels.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 10:23:01 am »
Dont think ive ever seen them on a GC8. Looking forward to seeing what they look like.

Offline 98GF8Pretty

• Patchy Faced
  • Highway Star!
    • One Soul Thrust
  • Ride: 98 GF8 Paint Code 406,03 GTI 1.8T
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 11:02:39 am »
Well looks like I got screwed over on my front lip once again.

I started talking to the person selling the lip about 2.5 weeks ago and he requested that I let him refinish the lip before he sells it to me so I don't have to refinish it myself, I agreed as long as I could pick it up by the 25th so I could have it installed for SubMit 86. A week before the meet I texted him and said not to worry about refinishing it as I was worried it wouldn't be done in time, he assured me it would be and that it was no problem for him. Friday the 25th comes (day before the meet) and I get in contact with him and find out that he went to BC randomly and the lip was not finished. I was somewhat annoyed but figured I would pick it up when he told me he would be back (July 26th). Well I still can't get a hold of him so he has lost my interest in buying, looks like I will just order one from HT Auto.

On a positive note I picked up my Version 8 low scoop on Saturday at the meet. Thanks a bunch to Goodveet for the part and to LilDrunkenSmurf for delivering it to me, much appreciated!

Will put up photos once I am off work and at home.

I bought the same scoop from Hurricane for my wagon (inspiration from Way_Gone) but it's stuck in Cow town at the moment.
Looks good man!
U R A BUS

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 11:38:57 am »
Thanks 98GF8Pretty, it definitely makes the front end look more aggressive.

I am now unsure about the XD9s though because from what I have been reading the offset of 42 which I was looking for wasn't made regularly. All the ones I can find (Invision and a few other shops I have talked to) are +50 which I don't think I want.

So unless I can find them with +42 I will have to choose a different wheel. Problem is a lot of the wheels I really like won't fit my car without some serious pulling (would rather not) or flares. I would LOVE to run flares and a more aggressive wheel and tire but I do not have the confidence to cut up my fenders and wouldn't want to spend the crazy amount of money I'm guessing a shop would charge to get that done.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 12:57:59 pm »
So unless I can find them with +42 I will have to choose a different wheel. Problem is a lot of the wheels I really like won't fit my car without some serious pulling (would rather not) or flares. I would LOVE to run flares and a more aggressive wheel and tire but I do not have the confidence to cut up my fenders and wouldn't want to spend the crazy amount of money I'm guessing a shop would charge to get that done.

Sighh. I know the feeling oh so very well.

One day ill chop my fenders though.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 01:10:41 pm »
Sighh. I know the feeling oh so very well.

One day ill chop my fenders though.

I feel like it's one of those modifications that you just have to plan it and go for it. I'm the kind of person who will do hours and hours of research before I do anything to my car and the more I think and research the more worried I get about screwing up lol.

Running flares doesn't seem overly difficult its just cutting apart my perfectly good body freaks me out haha. Also on the sedan since the door is like an inch away from the edge of the fender(?) I don't know how you would go about cutting that or do you just leave that part alone.

But I don't see flares happening anytime in the near future. I will most likely just roll and pull if need be.

Offline Rick

• Patchy Faced
    • 98 STi
  • Ride: 2006 STI + others
Re: Dylans 1996 WRX - On the hunt for wheels
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 07:55:30 pm »
What do you do in winter with flares? Hellasunk or hella wheelspacers.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 08:34:59 pm »
What do you do in winter with flares? Hellasunk or hella wheelspacers.

That is a good question! I mean I wouldn't want to use big spacers, don't think that would be very good for the car. But it would look pretty funny having flares with tiny wheels lol

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »
Slightly off topic but was your previous car (1991 Silvia) owned initially by Alex Kipp?
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”