Author Topic: Dan's First Import! Daily Driven 98' STi Wagon  (Read 3456 times)

Offline dxnnie

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Forester XT Sports
Dan's First Import! Daily Driven 98' STi Wagon
« on: March 31, 2015, 11:12:18 am »
Hey guys, I'm quite new to the forum and I've got to thank everyone for the very warm welcome to the community!

onto business!

I was suggested to start a little project thread on the forum by the members. I'm fairly new to the modding community but I'm hoping to learn and get some help and advice from the knowledged (in exchange for some beer of course). This will be my first project, my first project thread my first import and to top it off, its an EJ20k which seem to be more picky than the 20g's (to my knowledge correct me of in wrong)

Currently she's on the way from Japan. Of course, that hasn't stopped me from digging every coin in my pocket to plan for the arrival!

Here are the original auction photos:

she's a little scuffed up but I'm going to try my luck with some diy (: I also know a few friends that work at body shops so a few cases of beer and she'll be good to go!

I have no idea what body panel that is with the cut in it, but I'm looking to replace that as well once I do figure it out where it is and where to find a replacement for that panel.

I've purchased some audio goodies and a steering wheel (thanks to pinkdonut666) is on the way.

My current wheel

I'll be buying some B-QUIET sound dampening, there's a discount for buying multiple rolls so if anyone's interested shoot me a PM!

I intend to use this as my daily driver so and mods I do will be for comfort and reliability. Once she's landed I'll be sure to take some more photos!

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Re: Dan's First Import! Daily Driven 98' STi Wagon
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:31:45 am »
Car looks awesome man!

Already has really nice wheels on it too :)

Offline MrPROGENITUS

• Patchy Faced
  • Speedy speed boy
  • Ride: 1998 Impreza WRX STi V4
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:32:48 am »
Awesome ride man!  When is she expected to land?  :D
So, you drive a Subaru?  That don't Impreza me much...

1998 V4 STi "Suzy": http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=44019.msg547249#msg547249

Offline SnowBreeze

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Altezza
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:36:04 am »
Car looks great! I'm so jealous you have the 10k rpm tach

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:44:13 am »
Welcome dude, looks clean!  (Other than the minor imperfections, you'll get them fixed in no time!)

Offline dxnnie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:16 am »
Car looks awesome man!

Already has really nice wheels on it too :)

Thanks (: the damage is quite minor to it so I'm thinking of doing as much diy as possible, then bringing it into a body shop to get all the scratches out. Then possibly a vinyl wrap or something but that's not a priority haha
Depending on how much I can get for them I might be looking to sell the wheels. I love them but I don't have enough money for a good pair of summers haaha

Thank you! She'll be here (apparently) by April 9th. But +1week customs and +1week shipping to Calgary. Expected date of pick up is April 26th-ish. The wait is killing my :(

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:48:50 am »
That panel looks like the rear strut tower cover. There'll be a corresponding hole on the other side, any part from a similar generation of wagon should work.

Looks like some guy put a strut tower bar in there and then trimmed the plastic panels so he could still put the strut tower cap on top.

With the clearcoat in that good of a condition I bet a little bit of time with rubbing compound and a rag would take out most of those scratches.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:51:01 am »
If you want a second quote to get some scratches out send me a PM.

Congrats on the new ride.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline dxnnie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:56:26 am »
Welcome dude, looks clean!

Thanks (: yeah she's really clean I'm glad I have a good base for my car endeavours! Once all the scratches dings and dents are gone I'll be moving into the interior to get it nice and comfy (:

Once I'm heading to Calgary I'll be sure to post on here and any of the Calgary WSC guys can arrange a little meet or something!

That panel looks like the rear strut tower cover. There'll be a corresponding hole on the other side, any part from a similar generation of wagon should work.

Looks like some guy put a strut tower bar in there and then trimmed the plastic panels so he could still put the strut tower cap on top.

With the clearcoat in that good of a condition I bet a little bit of time with rubbing compound and a rag would take out most of those scratches.

Thanks for the info! I figured it was something like that but was provided only that photo so wanted to double check! I'll be sure to visit pick n pull once its warm (: that's good to know about the scratches as well! I was worried that the clear would be too delicate and a cutting compound would do more damage then good. Do you recommend any compound? I've purchased everything except polishing compound haha

If you want a second quote to get some scratches out send me a PM.

Congrats on the new ride.

Thanks 10sec (: I'll be sure to pm you once I get the chance! I'll send you the photos and I'd love a quote from you!

Offline chico_kj_23

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1993 WRX, 2011 G37X, 2018 4Runner
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 02:21:20 pm »
Nice looking wagon, I really love these things! A little TLC and this thing could be a beaut.

Offline dxnnie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 03:20:15 pm »
Nice looking wagon, I really love these things! A little TLC and this thing could be a beaut.

Thank you (: yeah I'm hoping I can devote a week or so to getting everything all pretty and nice haha! My exams finish basically right when it arrives so I'm going to take a week off of work and get the project thread going!

Offline dxnnie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 03:53:11 pm »
Just updating the things that I have purchased so far.

For car audio:
Infinity Primus PR6500cs 6.5" Speakers
Accoring to the interweb, these are 2.17 inches deep and the maximum mounting depth is 2.8-2.9 inches. Hopefully they'll fit in the front speakers, if not they're a listed fit for the rears haha.

Pioneer MVH-X560BT single DIN
I've had a double DIN stereo before on my 2.5i and I didn't really mind, but I didn't really like it to be honest. It took up way to much space for no good reason in my opinion. The only reason I would have a double DIN would be for GPS navigation, but I have my phone for that.
I've also had this deck as well and I actually loved it. It had all the things I was looking for; great Bluetooth reception, AUX, USB (android compatible), and a very minimalist display.

Kenwood KSC-SW11 Underseat Subwoofer
I was looking for a sub that wouldn't render my cargo area useless, but gave me the lows that my component speakers wouldn't be able to provide. My friend has a underseat sub, and it seems like an awesome idea to be honest. The dimensions might make it stick out a little bit but we'll see how good I can wiggle it in.

As far as fluids (and general maintenance) I will be changing the list goes something like this;
Rotella T6 + Subaru Genuine Oil Filter
Subaru Genuine Coolant + Conditioner
Walboro 255 Fuel Pump + Fuel Filter (no idea which one or what size)
Spark Plugs + Wires ; I heard the 02WRX ones will work with the EJ20K's, some confirmation would be awesome (:
No idea what type of tranny, rear diff fluid I should use but the search thread will provide me some insight.

Offline kehuynh

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 03 Crown Estate ATH V, 04 Crown Athlete EX: 90 Mazda MX-5, 03 Infiniti M45
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 04:04:25 pm »
I had a laugh when you said reliable and comfort.

Offline dxnnie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 06:45:52 pm »
I had a laugh when you said reliable and comfort.

Not as funny as your unemployment (;

Offline kehuynh

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 03 Crown Estate ATH V, 04 Crown Athlete EX: 90 Mazda MX-5, 03 Infiniti M45
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 07:37:48 pm »
I like being unemployed. Anyways nice car, if you need a hand with anything give me a shout.

Offline dxnnie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 08:14:36 pm »
I like being unemployed. Anyways nice car, if you need a hand with anything give me a shout.

You say that now, then the severance will run out LOL For sure, thanks man (: we can go cruising some time haha

Offline dxnnie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 10:47:27 pm »
So after the three month wait ... ITS HERE!

Driving RHD wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. The shifting is a bit weird but its pretty natural for me.
Speaking of shifting 2nd and 3rd gear are a bit rough. More on that on another post.

I've been really busy with paperwork and full-time work now but I've finally got some time to start planning my installations. For now it will be pretty petty things; audio, lights, etc.
Once I have some more time and I'll be going through all the general maintenance things. According to Brian (from B-Pro), I should be good for the summer with everything but coolant and so far so good.

Tomorrow I'll be tackling audio, replacing the front speakers, installing an underseat sub, routing wires to places, and trying to figure out the mess of wiring the previous owner left me.

I've installed a stereo already, pretty simple. The only thing that caught my attention was the fact that there were two plugs for the stereo, one spliced into another. If anyone has an explanation please share!

Just an update and a chance for me to collect my thoughts. Pictures galore tomorrow and the next.

Offline MrPROGENITUS

• Patchy Faced
  • Speedy speed boy
  • Ride: 1998 Impreza WRX STi V4
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 07:21:29 am »
Congrats!  Finally getting the car is such a surreal feeling!
So, you drive a Subaru?  That don't Impreza me much...

1998 V4 STi "Suzy": http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=44019.msg547249#msg547249