Author Topic: The I need to see your 02-04(ish) steering system meet, lol  (Read 2559 times)

Offline 97STB

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 97 Forester s/tb
I'm looking for somebody willing to meet up with me so I can look at there power steering system. On my JDM I'm looking to swap my power steering pump/lines/reservoir out for one like on an 02+ WRX. The reservoir on my power steering pump is right ontop of my pump so it squishes the Turbo inlet skinny & blocks me from putting in a Tomei turbo inlet, I have a big AMR turbo going in eventually that will need to breathe so I need to figure out how I can swap pumps & reservoirs. I'm sure if I can just see the system in person and compare to mine side by side I could figure it out  :)

Offline funk32

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
Re: The I need to see your 02-04(ish) steering system meet, lol
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 04:37:43 AM »
Ask GC8REX he is in the middle of doing it to his car.

Offline 97STB

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »
Oh he's doing the same thing?

Also, is your car at my buddy Derreks place right now for a cage install?

Offline funk32

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 06:47:24 PM »
Yes it is...

He is doing something like your idea, he is keeping the pump taking off the res and getting a GD one. Then buying a fitting to go onto the pump.

Offline 97STB

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 12:13:25 AM »
Ok well I was hanging out with him & I was like... "I know car I've seen it at the track did this dude used to have a Cosworth intake mani?" That's funny.

Ah, that sounds easier. I was looking at Chase Bay's power steering reservoir I could just buy that kit probably and get a fitting. I still want to see the OEM setup and compare mine to it side by side just to see.

Offline GC8REX

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • The little boxer that could
  • Ride: 1995 Impreza WRX, 1997 Forester S/TB
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 07:45:53 AM »
I get the fitting for mine next week so ill give the full impression in my build thread. Nice thing about just removing the reservoir, attaching fitting and running to remote tank is that you don't need to change anything about the high pressure line.

Offline 97STB

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 12:47:39 PM »
Yes that would be awesome man thanks! :) I'm installing a 04 RA quick rack at the moment so it would be sweet to not have to bleed the entire system again to do this.

Offline 97STB

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 11:04:29 PM »
Do you think you'll have any issues with the charcoal canister? Mines up near where the newer reservoir goes I believe, do you think that'll be any issue? I was looking into seeing if it's possible to delete but I haven't come to any solid answer yet. I read putting a breather on the end of one of the lines and then joining the other 2 or something like that is the only way that works so you don't get CEL codes and can still fuel up your car normally

Offline GC8REX

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • The little boxer that could
  • Ride: 1995 Impreza WRX, 1997 Forester S/TB
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 12:54:25 AM »
Do you think you'll have any issues with the charcoal canister? Mines up near where the newer reservoir goes I believe, do you think that'll be any issue? I was looking into seeing if it's possible to delete but I haven't come to any solid answer yet. I read putting a breather on the end of one of the lines and then joining the other 2 or something like that is the only way that works so you don't get CEL codes and can still fuel up your car normally

Deleted mine. Fuel vent goes through purge solenoid to intake vac source.

Offline 97STB

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
Ok great then you just join the other 2 lines correct? Did it throw you any CEL codes or did anything feel funny or wrong afterwards? If I'm understanding this correctly the fuel fill up will not keep stopping the pump if you vent that line, because a lot of guys were saying they can't fuel up normally haha but they just plugged the lines or something, but venting it keeps the flow open sort of like when you have an open vent on a jerry can and it pours smoothly but when you close that vent it stops and glugs? Haha
I'd like to come see your power steering setup after your done maybe if that'd be cool?

Edit: I read your comment wrong, I'm gonna PM you about this