Author Topic: Next project... a dream for now  (Read 6238 times)

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
Next project... a dream for now
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:48:08 am »
RCR SL-C coupe

Ultima GTR

Factory Five GTM

This guy got me thinking:
I looked seriously at the Ultima GTR, FFR GTM and the RCR SLC. They each have their Pros & Cons.
  • Ultima GTR has an all steel frame and steel suspension. It has impressive performance and it photographs well. I had a chance to take a close look at a completed GTR at the Cars & Coffee event in Irvine CA. The body is gel coated so painting is optional. IMO, the body panel fitment and general construction was ok, but not up to the standard I would expect for its cost.
  • FFR GTM has a steel frame and corvette suspension. I'm 5'11" and felt squashed in the cabin. It is tight both in leg room and in hip/shoulder room. I just couldn't get comfortable in it so I didn't think I would enjoy driving it. The tight hip/shoulder room is due to the huge center hump that houses the radiator lines, shifter, cables, etc. Owners have problems keeping the heat from the radiator lines from soaking into the cabin. The small driver door opening combined with the roll cage makes it chore to get in and out of. Owners say real life curb weight is about 2700lbs! The GTM is a very complete "bolt together" kit with everything you need including a full interior. The supplied interior is much better than it used to be, but IMO it's still sub-par. The body requires extensive body work and paint, which adds considerable cost. The GTM kit is about half the price of the GTR or SLC, but the additional cost of the Corvette donor parts, body/paint work and interior updates bring the total finished cost up to about the same as the GTR and SLC. The GTM is a street car that can be stripped to be raced.
  • RCR SLC has an aluminum chassis and aluminum suspension. It is the lightest alternative. Depending upon the engine, transaxle and driver comforts, owners report 1750 - 2500lbs. The SLC is a race car, that can be made streetable. That means the side windows are fixed and things like emergency brake, interior, adjustable pedals, etc are optional. Some fabrication skills are needed to build custom motor mounts, exhaust, etc. Compared the GTR and GTM, the SLC is spacious inside with lots of leg, hip, and shoulder room. I'm not sure about head room. The body is gel coated so painting is optional.
I selected the RCR SLC because I thought it had the best bones for a super car. It has ultra-light weight, true racing suspension, and can be made comfortable. I also think the SLC has the best looking body style.

But dem looks (the other two look like road-borne Cessnas):

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
Re: Next project... a dream for now
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:52:19 am »
There's also this guy:
I went through the same process...GTM or Ultima and had decided on the GTM for a whole host of issues. Then more info was coming out on the SL-C and I was sold on that. It was a better fit for me in all aspects.

MY rankings...
Outright performance: Ultima, SL-C, GTM.
Though the SL-C is yet unproven, it should have the potential to match, and possibly even surpass the proven Ultima. The GTM in all likelihood with equal powerplants probably won't keep up with either in any category and as of yet, is also unproven. Richards race car doesn't count.

Exterior looks: SL-C, GTM, Ultima.
This is VERY subjective obviously. I do love the supercar look of the GTM but I like the racecar look of the SL-C better. Ultima doesn't hold a candle to either. I've seen all three in person too.

Interior: SL-C, GTM, Ultima.
Even from the limited pictures available, the SL-C is the hands down winner. In a few weeks I have a feeling we will see some pics of an RCR production complete and installed interior when a customer takes delivery of his. The GTM's as-is interior is decent though there are many issues with it.

Practicality: GTM, SL-C, Ultima.
The GTM gets the nod here for two simple reasons, power side windows and slightly more ride height. Both cars have A/C and heaters. The SL-C does have the option of fold down side windows and an electric hydraulic lift for the front (and rear if wanted) to help with steeper driveways but that is certainly not as practical as the GTM. Given all of that, I'm not a very practical person and would comute in an F1 car given the chance

Standard build time: SL-C, Ultima, GTM.
This all depends on the builder and what he chooses to do with the build of course. The SL-C comes as a roller and is a non-donor build with body work fitted, though not completed. The GTM needs a donor and TONS of bodywork and a whole host of other issues. Every builder on this forum knows . The Ultima "looks" straight forward and appears to fall somewhere between the SL-C and GTM due to it's more spartan as-is spec's.

My build time: SL-C, Ultima, GTM.
Due to a ton of customization I'd be doing, starting off with a roller and a non-donor is a no-brainer.

Standard build cost: GTM, SL-C, Ultima.
Argue all you want.

MY build cost: SL-C, GTM, Ultima.
Due to the fact that I'm installing a 3-rotor engine, I could not use most of the donor parts for the GTM and would have to source parts individually. That factor alone offsets the cost between the entry price of the SL-C and GTM. Basically all I could use was the suspension and some interior parts (I would also do a custom interior on the GTM). Money saved on bodywork with the SL-C, and perhaps even the Ultima also offset the costs compared to the GTM. If I were to do the GTM, fender louvers, full frame doors, right rear wheel well fix, broken nose fix all add up quickly. I've seen the finish on the supplied SL-C and it's almost ready to go as-is.

-Dave
SL-C on the way.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:52:42 am »
You have a problem.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:52:50 am »
*shakes head*
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 10:54:25 am »

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 10:56:50 am »
Why don't you take up drinking like a normal person..

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:59:56 am »
Tell me the sound of that first start didn't give you half a chub and make your heart beat a little faster.

Offline snakeman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: The Matrix
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 04:09:17 pm »
Build a factory five 818 using the pumpkin drivetrain. Then turn pumpkin into an sti wagon. Two projects for the price of...two!

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »
RCR SL-C coupe

Does it have a horn everywhere you need it?

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 05:28:20 pm »
I've ridden along in this one at an event:

Ultima by PoweredByAloe, on Flickr

Quite the ride!!
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 06:57:02 am »
I believe that one is currently for sale?
I saw something like it advertised in Vancouver.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 01:55:44 pm »
I saw an Ultima for sale in Edmonton a while back, possibly the one above.  My dad was having nothing of it, insisting he buy a 7 or build a crazy 400+HP Miata or S2000...

I'd have taken the Ultima.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 02:17:13 pm »
My vote is the GTM.. After alcohol that is..

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:23:50 pm »

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 03:09:30 pm »
You have a problem.

Tuna should definitely get one.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 05:03:18 pm »
It all makes sense now:

LF: Porsche or transaxle gearbox expert

G50 or Mendeola

Just a pipedream now... But if I were looking for either of the above where is a good spot to start looking?

Quote from: wikipedia.org
The Ultima GTR is a sports car manufactured by Ultima Sports Ltd of Hinckley, Leicestershire, England, and described by commentators as a supercar.[2][3] The car is available both in kit form and as a "turnkey" (i.e. assembled by the factory) vehicle. The design is mid engined, rear wheel drive layout, with a tubular steel space frame chassis and GRP bodywork. A convertible version called the Ultima Can-Am is also produced. Kit builders are free to source and fit a variety of engines and transmissions but the Chevrolet small block V8 supplied by American Speed mated to either a Porsche or Getrag transaxle is the factory recommended standard, and this configuration is fitted to all turnkey cars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_GTR

I feel like a modern day Sherlock Holmes. But without the crippling addiction to cocaine and hookers.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 05:07:53 pm »
Well done, arsegroper.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 05:25:48 pm »
Can I have some cocaine as a reward?
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 04:16:41 pm »
I've ridden along in this one at an event:

Ultima by PoweredByAloe, on Flickr

Quite the ride!!

O_o   My Gawd I want to go for a ride along in one!!!

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 09:04:47 am »

http://www.davisgmctrucks.ca/PartsAcc/Accessories/PerformanceEngines/LSSeries/tabid/38516/Default.aspx

LS376/525
What's Hot?
- ASA Racing Camshaft
- 525 Horsepower
- 489 Lb-Ft Torque
- 2 Year/80,000KM Warranty
Parts Direct: 1-844-242-1379

GM Performance Parts Davis Customs
Regular - $10,029
Sale - $8,295

Fuel-Injected Ferocity For Performance Cars Of All Ages
What do you get when you take Chevrolet Performance’s aggressive ASA camshaft – developed for the high-rpm world of circle-track racing – and slip it into an LS3 6.2L engine? The answer is 525 horsepower in one of our most powerful production-based crate engines. We call it the LS376/525 and if take-no-prisoner performance is what you’re looking for in your new Camaro or resto-mod Chevelle, this is it!
The ASA camshaft is a hydraulic roller with .525-inch lift on both sides, along with 226 degrees duration on the intake side and 236 degrees on the exhaust side. Coupled with a tight, 110-degree lobe separation angle, it helps the engine deliver excellent throttle response and breathe exceptionally well at high rpm. And for durability, we complement the cam with higher-rate valve springs.
You’ll need tuning to make the most of the engine in a late-model GM vehicle. If you plan to use the LS376/525 in a vintage car, you’ll need controller kit P/N 19259261, which includes the throttle pedal to match its electronically controlled throttle body. Check out our LS1 Engine Kit Installation Guide P/N 88959384 for details on installing an LS engine in a vintage vehicle

James, let's talk?

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 07:09:14 pm »

http://www.davisgmctrucks.ca/PartsAcc/Accessories/PerformanceEngines/LSSeries/tabid/38516/Default.aspx

James, let's talk?

I just put a very similar engine into a customer of mines CTS-V last month. His was a LSX 376 B15 which was around $8500 for the engine itself. That 376 525 I am not sure if it's a GM Parts Catalog engine or a Davis special, but most likely a GM one seeing as it has warranty.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 09:25:57 pm »
Dem wheels... 2015 STi... unf

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 09:07:55 am »
Dem wheels... 2015 STi... unf

They look like Corvette Spider wheels.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:32 am »
Dem wheels...

The CCW's on the _other_ car in that pic tickle my fancy way more...

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 09:53:21 am »
There was a touch of sarcasm.
They actually look pretty decent with the blue.