Author Topic: FRUSTRATED... I need help adding sub to 09 Nav Kenwood FXDD07KF2  (Read 2336 times)

Offline SC00BY-SNAX

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 09 World Rally Technica
Hey everyone,

I have probably put in about 3-4 hrs endlessly searching for how to wire my mono sub amp and my 4 Channel speaker amp to the 09 STI stock NAVI.

I have tried to wire it in twice now since I bought the car a month ago but every time I try something it doesn't work.. I get frustrated and I tare everything out..

I am a fairly patient guy and have wired many aftermarket stereo's but this car has me stumped...

Is my only option to go and buy a LOC? or wire up to the 14pin harness behind the head unit? I know that there is some subwoofer pin outs on the stock harness but where the root of my problem lays is to get the audio signal converted to RCA for my amps. I attempted making my own RCA by splicing wires but in turn this just ended up putting my amp into protection mode. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have adequate power and ground wires ran and my 12v amp turn on works perfect

What is the best way to convert audio signals from stock to RCA's?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciate

U O E N O

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: FRUSTRATED... I need help adding sub to 09 Nav Kenwood FXDD07KF2
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:48:13 pm »
If there's no RCA out, you need to buy a converter. It's been a long time since I've done this, but I had a buddy do it to his '01 M5... You can't splice the RAW speaker out into an RCA in, the signals just don't encode the same way. You can buy amps that will take speaker in natively if that's what you want, but I'm guessing your current amp doesn't support it.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:49:18 pm »
Something like this:

If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline SC00BY-SNAX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:58:26 pm »
Thanks Smurf,

Yea I'd prefer to stick with the amps that I have as they are tried and trusted.  Its seams a LOC is my only option then.  Do I have to run separate LOC's to run both amps? or can I us splitters off of one?

Offline richie_rich

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 Airboy Stage 2 SWP WRX
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:09:13 pm »
Actually there is an amp signal wire, and a mono/sub RCA out wired into the stock nav deck.  If you look in the menus of the deck, there is a separate sub out menu.  The proper wires are there, they're just not set up currently as RCA's.  My brother put an amp and sub on his stock 09 nav deck without an LOC.  He just got a harness from someone on NASIOC even though it could've been easily wired up. 

Check here for more info:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2216179

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:14:08 pm »
Thanks Smurf,

Yea I'd prefer to stick with the amps that I have as they are tried and trusted.  Its seams a LOC is my only option then.  Do I have to run separate LOC's to run both amps? or can I us splitters off of one?

I would follow what richie_rich said, if that's an easier solution, as for the LOC, you can run a single one, just keep in mind it's a single source. For example, I'm running a monoblock for the sub, and a 2ch for the front speakers. I don't want them to share a source, due to fade and such, so I would run 2x LOC, but if I was running the rears, that can easily share a source with the Sub. You can run them all off a single one if you want, you just get less adjust-ability.

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:13:59 pm »
everything you need to know is in Rich's post, but here is the complete post on Subaru stereos by SVX.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749402
details on subwoofer outputs for Nav units is near the bottom of post 11.

SVX sells harnesses to make everything plug and play without splicing up the factory harness.
http://ae64.com/
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline SC00BY-SNAX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 05:36:06 pm »
Thanks guys, I will look into this!