Author Topic: Why is the Vendor Review section a mess?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline GC84ever

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: '01 Impreza 2.5rs
Why is the Vendor Review section a mess?
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:30:57 pm »
Why is the Vendor Review section a mess?
There are dozens of threads for reviews for multiple shops.
It seems in most of the WSC forum, topics get moved/merged quite efficiently to their proper section.

May I propose:
- That all local shops/businesses receive their own sub-forums in the Vendor Reviews section. So that all their reviews/topics get moved to one place.
- That we have another sub-forum for all Canadian vendors, and another sub-forum for all US vendors.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
Re: Why is the Vendor Review section a mess?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:21:12 pm »
While I love the theoretical tidiness of your idea, I don't know how feasible it is to implement. Having that many subforums will quickly become a giant tree with too many branches and only a few leaves on each. The reviews were never limited to WSC Vendors, which means anyone can post a review about any business s/he had dealings with. Since users cannot create subforums, the first person to write a review for XYZ Business would have to get a moderator to create a sub forum in which the newly mentioned business review would go.

While the current melting pot is messy, it's not impossible to find reviews of a particular business by using the advanced search option:

1. First, click on "search" in the menu at the top left corner of this site.

2. Then, change parameters* to whatever you want, to narrow it down (or not).

3. In order to deselect everything in one swell foop, scroll down and first check, then un-check "Check all":

4. Scroll back up and check the subforum "Vendor Reviews" to search in only that subforum:

5. Click Search, and get results:

*If you wanted the most recent posts, you can change "Most relevant results first" in step 2 to "Most recent topics first"

'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 08:04:39 am »
I think what he's saying is that we have 3 subforums
1) WSC Vendors
2) Non-WSC Canadian Vendors
3) Non-WSC US/International Vendors.

That would cover 90% of the bases, but I'm not sure if you want to do that. Personally, I always forget to look at it anyways.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:51 am »
I think what he's saying is that we have 3 subforums
1) WSC Vendors
2) Non-WSC Canadian Vendors
3) Non-WSC US/International Vendors.

That would cover 90% of the bases, but I'm not sure if you want to do that. Personally, I always forget to look at it anyways.

Oh, not quite what I had initially understood (due to "all local shops/businesses receive their own sub-forums")

Regardless, it would be a nightmare to filter "local" vs. "non-local, Canadian" given that WSC spans three provinces with a few members even further out. We have enough confusion when people post in FS/WTB threads without mentioning if they're in Calgary or Edmonton, never mind those who are in other cities or provinces!

While it's a nice thought and we appreciate the suggestions, it's probably not really worth our time to sift and sort for the time being.
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~