Author Topic: '15 oem kicker 10" powered sub...  (Read 2794 times)

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
'15 oem kicker 10" powered sub...
« on: July 20, 2014, 11:21:09 am »
http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_151_152&products_id=2235

Was looking to add a little bass to my wrx, anyone here try these out yet?
Official Anti-Purist

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: HawkEyE
Re: '15 oem kicker 10" powered sub...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 11:54:29 am »
I had this in my 14 sti, sounds amazing but I wouldn't spend $500. I'd rather go aftermarket which would be cheaper and more powerful.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:28:43 pm »
Considering all the fine print about fitment (or lack thereof) in the description, I'd say "no".
I would also say no because it's a factory sound part, which are inherently crappy.

But I'm sure the 2015 is a unique unicorn that breaks all the rules about japanese vehicle factory sound systems.

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: bluecar
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 07:24:19 am »
You'll spend more going aftermarket... but you'll also be buying an amp with more than 100W.

Offline Stealthbombing

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: BMW 135i M
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:48:37 pm »
i buy all my audio & electronics from here

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

i have yet to find somewhere else that beats there prices
*** PM Me for quotes on parts for wholesale price !!***
Stella -
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=47765.msg579306#msg579306

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 06:39:42 pm »
with what looks like 1/3 the enclosure volume of an already small AI enclosure, I just can't see that thing being more than than an overpriced midbass driver.
maybe I'm wrong

for $500, a pretty good subwoofer can be made if one has the ability to build their own enclosure. but paying someone to build you a box can easily crush half that budget, if not more.

for example:
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX10 for under $200 to your door. shipping is blazing fast from CSS out of Abbotsford, and Bob simply kicks assay when it comes to customer service.
the CSS SDX subs are popular with the home theatre crowd (me included), because they sound excellent.

monoblocks that put out 200-300wRMS at 4ohms can be had for $200-250. take your pick on sonic, or even your local Visions.
like this one:
http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=54&productId=10193&sku=Z5001 for $150 + tax.

that leaves $150 to spend on 3/4" MDF and/or fibreglass and resin, along with a cheapy 8ga wiring kit + fuse holder, paint/vinyl etc.
cheap power cable can be found at Princess Auto, in the form of welding cable (if they don't have a full surplus wiring kit for cheap on their shelves), as can terminals. I've bought plenty of 1/0, 2/0 and even 3/0 welding cable there for past SPL builds for the same price audio shops charge for 4ga wire that said "Stinger" on it. sure, it's not quite as flexible or as pretty, but it does the same job for less money.

point being, a $500 budget can go a long way...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:18:44 am »
The final install looks nice and clean, but that little guy in your trunk isn't going to have much impact. And 500 is too many dollars.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 11:57:10 am »
my problem is I don't have the time to make an enclosure, I don't want to buy an aftermarket HU, and Im not looking for devastating bass. I am looking for a simple integration solution. I was even considering a couple of free-air kicker 8" and mount them under the rear deck.
Official Anti-Purist

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: bluecar
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 11:38:48 am »
my problem is I don't have the time to make an enclosure, I don't want to buy an aftermarket HU, and Im not looking for devastating bass. I am looking for a simple integration solution. I was even considering a couple of free-air kicker 8" and mount them under the rear deck.
I'd sooner do that, to be honest.

Make sure you seal the rear deck up well and you'll be able to get some pretty solid output that way.

Offline chemtek

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1996 Ver2 STi
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 08:22:06 pm »
You definitely don't have to get rid of your stock HU to buy an aftermarket stereo. There are kits that tap into your rear speakers for a signal.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 11:55:39 am »
I've heard pretty good stuff about the Infinity Basslink: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_372_Infinity-BassLink.html?SearchClickout%5Bquery_id%5D=41110471&SearchClickout%5BIgnore%5D=1

I haven't heard that unit myself personally, however in my Supra I used nothing but infinity speakers and amps and am very pleased with them.

I'll either be going with a basslink, or retrofitting the stock sub location in my forester similar to the sea-scooby kit. Or ideally I'd like to just track down a sea-scooby kit.