Author Topic: Legacy Strange wiring mess help.  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Pinkdonut666

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 98 v5 WRX STI
Legacy Strange wiring mess help.
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:31:37 am »
So I got my father a 98 Legacy GTB wagon to replace his minivan he was driving around...

I noticed on the test drive it didn't have a head unit and i didn't think that was a big deal, JDM head units being almost useless anyway...

I later find out this legacy was equipped with the McIntosh Stereo with the Amp under the passenger seat and such from the factory. But at some time in its life strange things were done to the car.

The amp no longer exists, but the Din cable that used to run to it does, but its pulled very tight and is sitting next to the gear stick.

There are 4 mono 3.5mm jacks laying there with an unknown purpose... they don't seem to be connected to the speakers in any way, the 9 volt batter trick didn't get me anywhere.

I grabbed a stock Subaru Head unit and plugged it into the normal 14pin connector, and I only get sound through the back two speakers... its all just very strange to me anyway.

from what I've read on other forums these mcintosh stereos are a pain in the assay... but worse still mine has been messed with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, What i want is a nice double din touch screen head unit, and it i could get the stock speakers and sub wired to that and have it all working.

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: bluecar
Re: Legacy Strange wiring mess help.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:02:29 pm »
I would personally just pull new cable for the speakers if you can't find the wires. You could also use a toner(wand) to trace the wires back from the speaker ends.

Just buy a head unit with built in amp. Power the front/rear with the HU. Add an amp and sub.

EDIT: Is there a factory sub?

If you were local I'd give you a hand. Wish I could be more help.