Author Topic: Ski/Snowboard/Gear Reviews  (Read 8467 times)

Offline poopeebum

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Ski/Snowboard/Gear Reviews
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 10:06:52 am »
2009? Lib-Tech Narrow assay Snowboards

I bought these Lib-Tech Narrow assay Snowboards with magne-traction in October for $200 NEW from an Easy Rider sale and I've been using these so far this year for general all mountain skiing. So far I'm liking them a lot better than my old Rossignol Scratches that I used for 5 years. The magne-traction does cut down on the chatter on ice quite a bit. I am also using Marker Squire Schitzo bindings with these skis which allow the bindings to be adjusted 3 cm from center mounted. I havent had the chance to try these skis out on deep powder yet, hopefully they will be better than my Scratches as the skis are a little bit wider.

Im thinking of buying some longer fatter skis for powder next year and these will become my general all purpose skis.
2005 WRX Wagon with Saab bodykit

stefan

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 10:23:14 am »
Not a skier; but noob question. Are these new style skis really just skinny snowboards? I have been eyeing a few up and geometrically they seem very similar.

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 01:27:28 pm »
both snowboarding and ski technology have moved into similar design principles with the rocker designs or hybrid rocker designs becoming more prominent in both industries because of the benefits it offers to both skiers and snowboarders. 

Offline rwolf

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 09 IS250 Rowing Edition
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:41 am »

Lib-tech T.Rice ($ching ching $   :o) 157
Burton Cartel Bindings
Salomon Dialogue Boots

Heh riding a similar setup

GNU Altered Genetics 162
Burton Prophecy bindings
Salomon Malamutes

Liking it so far, progress better on the steeper black on icy days.  Fluid edge to edge feel I hardly notice the board feeling "flat" from edge to edge.

Only bad thing I can say the board feels lost when coasting on packed super flat areas.
Oh, and the board base is looking dry already after 2 days of riding.

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 11:00:06 am »
Burton came out to Rabbit over the weekend so I grabbed a couple boards for a few test runs. I tried the 2012 Blender and Lipstick, both in 151 paired up with Burton Lexa's and Salomon Optima's. My impression of both boards: meh. To be fair to the Blender though, the guy who gave me the Blender was a bit of an idiot. I had asked for a stiff freeride board and for reasons beyond me, he gave me a soft freestyle board with dull edges. I'm tempted to say though, if you're into freestyle, this could be the board for you.

And onto the Lipstick. I am definitely NOT going to be buying this board anytime soon. My impression of the Flying V tech, or whatever it's called? Meh! To me, this board feels flat, dead, and utterly lifeless. I usually have no problems plowing through my carves and getting some pumpability out of my boards, but even with just basic carved turns, it felt terrible. For a freeride board, I was definitely disappointed that the edges did not cut through the ice as well as my beat to crap Never Summer.

Burton Lexa's: Again. Meh. The flex in the high back was a bit soft for my liking, but otherwise they were ok. I highly recommend bringing your boots into the shop and strapping into the bindings before purchasing though, if possible. I found that by the time I got home, my calves were killing me where the top of the highback ended.

Overall, I'm really disappointed with the products and the attitude of the sales reps. Due to their isspay poor attitude, I did not get to demo freeride boards from the guys line as well and the product design I found overall to be lacking. I think I've touched on everything for the time being, but if you have questions, please feel free to ask.

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 08:57:02 pm »
well i decided to get a pair of armada TSTs, took them up to sunshine for a whirl today.  first impressions of the ski are that it's uckfaying awesome.  like nothing i've skied before.  took a short time to get used to but once i got the hang of it, these skis almost ski themselves, especially in powder.  in the crud the aggressive shovel front tip allows you to drive through without issues.  ski pivots nicely for quick direction changes in the glades and elsewhere.

the ski is designed with a progressive tip rocker with traditional camber underfoot and in the tail (they are twin tip also) but it allows you hold large radius carves pretty well and it's all mountain versatility allows you to ski anything, but i did find that i needed to concentrate a lot more on hardpack as they tend to feel a bit squeamish with the front tips wanting to slip away but the tail will catch and correct any instability.  generally a super fun ski, ultra lightweight makes it great off jumps too but aids in maneuverability.  also when you sling em onto your shoulder for a hike they're less of a burden with the low weight.

definitely would recommend. graphics are a little weird and not exactly my taste but i don't mind with the way it performs.

armada TST: 174cm, 101 waist; hybrid rocker shape with conventional tail,
bindings: marker squire (i'm a lightweight)

here's me being a db with the skis:

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 12:12:07 pm »
Having recovered from a bad injury in late April, I have got back on the horse again so to speak and got myself some new gear for the 14/15 season

Last 2 seasons:

-Lib-Tech Attack Banana 156

-Burton Genesis Bindings

Arguably the best set-up I have ever ridden, but the board is getting tired as 13/14 was its 3rd season and it has lost most of it pop and the edges are pretty destroyed now. It is now my early season ripper until it dies. I recommend this as a fantastic all around board and IMO the best Lib board I have ever had. To back that up, I have also had these other Libs: Jamie Lynn Pheonix 157, Dark Series 155, T Rice HP 157, La Nina 157, Banana Magic 157, Skate Banana 151.

This season:
I was looking for something completely different

-Gnu I.M.P.O.S.S.I.B.L.E  asymmetrical pickle

-Flux RK  Aloha

The board carries some of the best technology that GNU/Lib have including  asym  edges, magnatraction, elliptical c2btx and magnesium stringers and biobeans topsheet... all that crap aside, read better edge to edge feel and transfer, more pop, faster turns, lighter. the bindings I got because they are a nice soft playful binding with loads of adjustability. If they are too soft< I can always swap em over to the Attack banana and ride the burtons on the GNU

What are you guys riding for this season?
Official Anti-Purist

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 01:16:32 pm »
2013 Salomon Salomonder 151cm with 2014 Union Contact Pro bindings. Burton Hail boots, but might check out the ADIDAS boot this year.

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 02:36:02 pm »
try Northwave boots..... all I can say is WOW! sooooooooo comfortable
Official Anti-Purist

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 02:53:38 pm »
try Northwave boots..... all I can say is WOW! sooooooooo comfortable

Northwave eh? What kind did you use? Depending on what i'm riding I vary between a stiff boot, and a super soft boot.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 03:19:23 pm »
I've tried Northwave and absolutely hated them. But when it comes to boots its 100% rider preference, what I hate might be the best for someone else. I prefer a very soft boot as well and the majority of Northwave boots I have looked at are quite stiff.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 03:29:14 pm »
Hmm.... alright. I'll have to try some on at some point and find out.

I've used the same Burton moto's the past 3 seasons, and they are extremely soft. They're almost like giant skate shoes in my opinion. I loved them. But right now they are falling apart at pretty much every seam. I've sewed them up a few times already too. Soo i'll definitely need to try out some new ones.

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2014, 05:19:00 pm »
I got Northwave Decade, they are a medium flex boot. I rode a few different salomons for the last 10 seasons. I had burton Imperials, they were a mega stiff boot, I hated em, that's how I fluke ended up with the Northwaves, I wish I had tried em a long time ago
Official Anti-Purist

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Review: Burton Flight Attendant
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2015, 09:38:26 pm »
Board: Burton Flight Attendant
Size: 156 cm
Shape: Directional
Flex: Mid+
Camber: Hybrid camber/rocker
Days ridden: 8
Ridden with: Burton X-base EST bindings and 3 season old Burton Raptor boots
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 rainbows

The last few seasons I've ridden two variants of the rocker Burton Hero and a rocker, directional Burton Nug. My preferred riding conditions are steep, deep, with a good measure of cliffs and as much hang time as possible. While the Nug is a hilariously fun board that shreds pow surprisingly well, I wanted something a little more purpose built that would allow me to push my abilities and confidence to the next level.

The Flight Attendant is built with eco-friendly materials with design input from Nicolas Muller so you can imagine the potential this board has.

Even though the snow this season has been pretty sub-par I was able to ride the FA in pretty well every condition imaginable, from deep powder turns, chunky, hard crust, and what can only be defined as skating rink ice. While it could handle anything mother nature could throw at me, it was definitely most at home in either slack country pow or bombing perfect corduroy.

In deep snow the FA rode exceptionally well. The rockered, fat nose, tapered tail, and set back stance ensure flotation at any speed. The longer nose was extremely forgiving on hits you couldn't land quite right, keeping me on top of the snow instead of cartwheeling through the pow. This board made me feel invincible; the harder you pushed it, the better it rode. Aggressive turns and hard charging lines reward one with incredible control and it dares you to hit everything that comes your way. Turns quickly in the trees; even in really tight, steep, technical glades I was never wishing for something shorter. On sub-par days where the pow isn't deep or is super chopped up, the mid flex and chunder buster stability ensures that you will still be able to ride the lines you want.

That confidence inspiring performance isn't limited just to deep days though. The FA is cambered underfoot with rocker from just ahead of the front foot to the tip of the nose (S rocker). The result is that the big fat nose stays off the snow in hard pack conditions, simulating a slightly shorter board with phenomal edge feel and carve holding performance. The faster and more aggressively you ride, the more it seems to bite and rail the turns. Another great side effect of this is that the board actually rides pretty well switch. It's got plenty of pop and spins well too. It might not be the weapon of choice for park laps, but on days where the conditions didn't deliver you can at least go hit some jumps in the park instead of going home.

I wouldn't quite call it a jack-of-all-trades, the FA is definitely out of it's element on rails, but I'm not disappointed that it's the only board in my quiver. I rode lines and hit drops that I wouldn't have been comfortable with on any of my older boards; it allowed me to progress my riding and truly enjoy every day on the mountain. It's hard charging attitude takes a few runs to get used to, but once you are on board (heh heh), it takes you places you'd only dreamed of going before.

I'm trying to think of something I didn't like about it, but nothing significant comes to mind. The channel system bindings require frequent tightening (once every couple of days, 4 screws, not a big deal). Yup. That's about it.

Awesome board. Definitely recommend it!

P1100068 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1100070 by THE EDJ, on Flickr
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 11:16:22 pm »
Nice, I'll have to keep that one in mind when I'm looking for a new deck next season.