Author Topic: 2014/2015 WSC Ski & Snowboard Thread  (Read 23392 times)

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
Re: 2014/2015 WSC Ski & Snowboard Thread
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2015, 03:31:10 pm »
Just checked the conditions of all the mountains and I see not much happened while I was on holidays. Might skip this coming weekend, supposed to be like +5 and it's going to be a zoo with family day. Looked like some possible snow in the forecast for the following weekend though, so fingers crossed.

If this keeps up, I can at least hope they open early for DH biking. Many ppl around here go to the resorts to bike? I really need to find a roof rack lol.

I feel like...all you ever post in this thread is about not going lol.

Powder snob?  :P
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2015, 09:28:35 pm »
If this keeps up, I can at least hope they open early for DH biking. Many ppl around here go to the resorts to bike? I really need to find a roof rack lol.

I plan on building a nice bike this season and heading to a couple of resorts! Maybe we should start a mountain bike that?

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2015, 02:20:05 pm »
I feel like...all you ever post in this thread is about not going lol.

Powder snob?  :P

LMAO, that sure seems to be the case  :(. I'm working Family Day to take a 3 day weekend the next weekend, maybe finally try Revy since they seem to have the best snow.

I plan on building a nice bike this season and heading to a couple of resorts! Maybe we should start a mountain bike that?

Nice, what are you building? I wanted to build a Demo 8, but now that I have 2 cars I want to add stuff too I'll just stick with what I have and get a few new parts instead. Building gets expensive quick, I built the rig I have now. A bike thread would be a good idea.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2015, 02:22:52 pm »
LMAO, that sure seems to be the case  :(. I'm working Family Day to take a 3 day weekend the next weekend, maybe finally try Revy since they seem to have the best snow.

Nice, what are you building? I wanted to build a Demo 8, but now that I have 2 cars I want to add stuff too I'll just stick with what I have and get a few new parts instead. Building gets expensive quick, I built the rig I have now. A bike thread would be a good idea.

I am doing Kicking Horse, Kicking Horse and Revelstoke on the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd.  I hope its good.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2015, 07:32:40 pm »
I am doing Kicking Horse, Kicking Horse and Revelstoke on the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd.  I hope its good.

Nice, that's the weekend I'm hoping to get up there too. I've ridden KH once and haven't been to Revy before but I've always wanted to.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2015, 11:55:35 pm »

I'm honestly not to sure at this point in time. Last season the only serious-ish riding I got done was during my trip for a couple of weeks in Vancouver. Went on some pretty cool "hidden" trail stuff in Stanley park, went north shore riding (that was intense haha), and then wanted to get up to whistler to ride, but only ended up going to watch events for crankworx. Throughout that whole trip I was using my uncle's custom set up as he has a couple of bikes that he hardly uses, so I may just buy one of his off of him or build my own. I don't need to drop $3k into a bike, but a decent setup that would be nice. I plan on taking a nice week and a half roadie into BC this year, so i'd be cool if I could take it with me and hit up K-ho while i'm at it! Never been there during the summer!

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
  • Ride: 2012 Subaru Impreza
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2015, 07:30:46 am »
I'm honestly not to sure at this point in time. Last season the only serious-ish riding I got done was during my trip for a couple of weeks in Vancouver. Went on some pretty cool "hidden" trail stuff in Stanley park, went north shore riding (that was intense haha), and then wanted to get up to whistler to ride, but only ended up going to watch events for crankworx. Throughout that whole trip I was using my uncle's custom set up as he has a couple of bikes that he hardly uses, so I may just buy one of his off of him or build my own. I don't need to drop $3k into a bike, but a decent setup that would be nice. I plan on taking a nice week and a half roadie into BC this year, so i'd be cool if I could take it with me and hit up K-ho while i'm at it! Never been there during the summer!

A good word to describe K-ho is rough. After a day there you feel like you got beat up in a back alley. Someone should start a 2015 bike chat thread.

Anywho, hitting up Revy on Saturday and K-ho Sunday and possibly Monday too. This is the third year in a row I've done this on the family day long weekend and it's usually pretty busy but not Lake Louise busy, so not too bad. I'm pumped.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2015, 03:47:09 pm »

Nice, I've mainly done shuttle stuff back home in Ontario and COP here. Sucks not having any friends who ride. K-Ho is tough, my buddy destroyed his front rim on the first ride of the day and had to get a rental for the rest, he was pissed lol.

If you're fine with used parts, you can build a good bike for a decent price. I was probably $1500-1700 all in by the time I got all the little stuff and have a pretty decent setup. But if I keep it I'll likely sink another $300-500 into it this year, if I'm actually going to ride it that is lol.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2015, 07:45:22 pm »
Nice, I've mainly done shuttle stuff back home in Ontario and COP here. Sucks not having any friends who ride. K-Ho is tough, my buddy destroyed his front rim on the first ride of the day and had to get a rental for the rest, he was pissed lol.

If you're fine with used parts, you can build a good bike for a decent price. I was probably $1500-1700 all in by the time I got all the little stuff and have a pretty decent setup. But if I keep it I'll likely sink another $300-500 into it this year, if I'm actually going to ride it that is lol.

A lot of people have been saying that about k-ho, sooo I may just head there once just to see how it is after I get in some good sessions in Vancouver. Doubt i'd stay for very long as I want to just get out and drive the STI throughout the mountains in the time that I take off this summer.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2015, 12:56:57 pm »
A lot of people have been saying that about k-ho, sooo I may just head there once just to see how it is after I get in some good sessions in Vancouver. Doubt i'd stay for very long as I want to just get out and drive the STI throughout the mountains in the time that I take off this summer.
I really want to do that drive in the s2000. Crappy thing is then I can never bring my bike or anything with me. The drive to Seattle was awesome.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2015, 01:17:04 pm »

KH is wierd. some cool old wood stuff but its mostly been destroyed for liability reasons. Ive found they havent embraced their vert very well, you want to walk jumps always the first time because theyre all different sizes, and a lot of berms are not built to trail speed. the berm thing is not a big deal once you get used to it, but for a while you feel like a super ittshay rider as you blow every corner. also its Rocky AF. if youre headed out that way, i like sun peaks and silver star both more than whistler, which i like far more than KH. fun-tastic hills. sun peaks is the better one. Silver Star is the more progressive one.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2015, 08:57:37 pm »
KH is wierd. some cool old wood stuff but its mostly been destroyed for liability reasons. Ive found they havent embraced their vert very well, you want to walk jumps always the first time because theyre all different sizes, and a lot of berms are not built to trail speed. the berm thing is not a big deal once you get used to it, but for a while you feel like a super ittshay rider as you blow every corner. also its Rocky AF. if youre headed out that way, i like sun peaks and silver star both more than whistler, which i like far more than KH. fun-tastic hills. sun peaks is the better one. Silver Star is the more progressive one.

K-ho built a new feature called mine shaft last summer which is fun and a new jump trail which I didn't get to try. Looks like a lot of fun based on the video I saw. I think they are gonna make some nice changes in the next few years.
Also, silver star is awesome. I've had lots of fun there. Never been to sun peaks tho. And whistler I thought was the best but I've only ridden 3 days there.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #212 on: February 14, 2015, 08:21:34 pm »
K-ho built a new feature called mine shaft last summer which is fun and a new jump trail which I didn't get to try. Looks like a lot of fun based on the video I saw. I think they are gonna make some nice changes in the next few years.
Also, silver star is awesome. I've had lots of fun there. Never been to sun peaks tho. And whistler I thought was the best but I've only ridden 3 days there.

the jump line was fun, but again not quite sized right. I overshot one in the middle on first go round because you need to brake check a bit, which shouldnt be. Then the last one needs two or three pedal strokes. Is the mine shaft that toilet bowl thing? the spiral wallride?

Sun peaks is my #1. Silverstar #2, whistler #3.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2015, 09:36:38 am »

the jump line was fun, but again not quite sized right. I overshot one in the middle on first go round because you need to brake check a bit, which shouldnt be. Then the last one needs two or three pedal strokes. Is the mine shaft that toilet bowl thing? the spiral wallride?

Sun peaks is my #1. Silverstar #2, whistler #3.

Yes on the toilet bowl thing  :P

So Revelstoke was about a 4/10 on Saturday. I say that because the soft/slushy snow was kinda fun to ride in on the lower half of the hill.

Kickinghorse was a 1/10 on Sunday. Probably the worst day I've ever had snowboarding. Damn this weather and lack of snow.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2015, 05:31:31 pm »
So Revelstoke was about a 4/10 on Saturday. I say that because the soft/slushy snow was kinda fun to ride in on the lower half of the hill.

Kickinghorse was a 1/10 on Sunday. Probably the worst day I've ever had snowboarding. Damn this weather and lack of snow.

Ahh, that sucks.... I turned down an offer to go this week because of my back issues(its reading week for universities), and now i'm not so bummed.

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2015, 08:56:48 am »

With the lack of snow can you tell me if T1 or T2 or Fuze bowl were open? I have a 3 day trip lined up for then end of the month and of those are close I rather save my money.

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2015, 09:10:25 am »
With the lack of snow can you tell me if T1 or T2 or Fuze bowl were open? I have a 3 day trip lined up for then end of the month and of those are close I rather save my money.

Everything was open. There's a solid base, it's just that though, solid  :-[

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #217 on: February 23, 2015, 11:00:30 pm »
I just got back from a 3-day ski/board trip with 05lgt. 1 day at sunshine followed by 2 days at kicking horse.

Conditions were okay at sunshine. It was a little crowded, and snow was a little crusty in some areas, but overall, not too bad.

Conditions at kicking horse were a little meh. Anything that wasn't a groomer was rather icy and/or crusty. At least the weather was pretty nice, and the snow definetly softened up underneath stairway towards the end of the day. It was really icy towards the bottom half of the hill, but at least it was skiable.
Somebody sitting behind us at a restaurant in golden mentioned that he toured/documented many ski resorts in bc, and he said that apparently kicking horse and panorama are doing better than most places in bc. Whistler and fernie in particular (as far as I remember) are a disaster apparently. They are having a very hard time keeping snow on the hill. Even revy isn't doing too great. They are almost at the point where they have to download on the gondola. :-\

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:13 am »
I just got back from a 3-day ski/board trip with 05lgt. 1 day at sunshine followed by 2 days at kicking horse.

Conditions were okay at sunshine. It was a little crowded, and snow was a little crusty in some areas, but overall, not too bad.

Conditions at kicking horse were a little meh. Anything that wasn't a groomer was rather icy and/or crusty. At least the weather was pretty nice, and the snow definetly softened up underneath stairway towards the end of the day. It was really icy towards the bottom half of the hill, but at least it was skiable.
Somebody sitting behind us at a restaurant in golden mentioned that he toured/documented many ski resorts in bc, and he said that apparently kicking horse and panorama are doing better than most places in bc. Whistler and fernie in particular (as far as I remember) are a disaster apparently. They are having a very hard time keeping snow on the hill. Even revy isn't doing too great. They are almost at the point where they have to download on the gondola. :-\

Unfortunately the snow has been awful this season... And as far as downloading on a gondola goes, I pretty much do that every time at Revelstoke. I usually attempt to ride to mid-mountain, but then just gondola it down from there. It's always shear ice lower than that, and judging from the lack of snow that fell this year, I wouldn't even be surprised it that was closed off at this point.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2015, 10:50:15 pm »
I've yet to be out this year. Kept waiting for snow and it just hasn't come. I'm thinking it's time to say Uckfay it and go to sunshine. It's one of my fan and if it's one of the better places right now, I just need to get out.

Anyone going out this weekend?

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #220 on: March 03, 2015, 11:05:19 am »
So Malcolm Sangster, one of the producers of Sherpas Cinema (All.I.Can and Into the Mind) who also worked with JP Auclair is one of my customers at work today.  Totally awesome.

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2015, 03:17:31 pm »
^ do you know if they were up at kicking horse last Thursday? FEB 27th
Buddy and I got off the gondola and we walked into a film crew that had some serious gear. (not talking GoPro's) I mean full cinema camera's with all the booms and rigging.
PS stay away from the K-HO, their season is done and they should close for the season. Pure ice and all back bowels are rock hard. 

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2015, 05:26:58 pm »
^ do you know if they were up at kicking horse last Thursday? FEB 27th
Buddy and I got off the gondola and we walked into a film crew that had some serious gear. (not talking GoPro's) I mean full cinema camera's with all the booms and rigging.
PS stay away from the K-HO, their season is done and they should close for the season. Pure ice and all back bowels are rock hard.

Not sure if they were.

Anyone wanna bug two Kicking Horse/Fernie tickets? Offers?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #223 on: March 04, 2015, 06:14:47 pm »
I've pretty well pulled the plug on this season. Car is back to summer mode (love the Okanagan) and I am planning backpacking trips and climbing. Short of a miraculous snow storm I'm done with boarding. I've paid for 3 day passes for Apex, which will be used on said miraculous snow storm or closing weekend, whichever comes first. Only logged 8 days this season, which is definitely a bummer, but I did get pow on every single one so the season wasn't a complete blowout.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2015, 06:24:07 pm »
Blah, a whole season and I didn't get out once. I got up early back in December, saw the high was -26 and said uckfay that and went back to bed. Then got busy and by Feb the conditions sucked.

Gotta get out biking a lot this summer to make up for it!