Author Topic: EJ25 head gaskets issue - is it very common?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline sub_man

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2000 Forester S/TB MT5 - Sold: L, XS, XT, T/TB, S/TB
EJ25 head gaskets issue - is it very common?
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:12:09 pm »
Read ppl complaining about EJ25 and its HG issues. Are these so  common so staying away from EJ25 would be recommended?

Offline heaviestd

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX
Re: EJ25 head gaskets issue - is it very common?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:02:01 am »
Head gasket issues are common in the ej25 as the mileage gets up there. Some people recommend changing head gasket as part of regular maintenance as you get closer to 200,000km, if there hasn't that been an issue yet.

That being said, most engines have some sort of major repairs needed as the mileage increases. The ej25 is a reliable engine and head gaskets really aren't that big of a deal. There are lots of engines that need to be replaced at similar mileage.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 08:37:34 am »
My brother has an EJ25 in his forester with around 260,000 kms on it, and even through the neglect its been through, it doesnt seem to be showing any signs of a bad head gasket. At least not any serious symptoms anyway.

Offline lophilip

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:02:40 pm »
The head gaskets on NA EJ25 are a problem. After a certain model year the head gaskets were updated to remove that problem.

Turbo EJ engines tend to have bearing issues - a much bigger issue.

Offline LegGirl

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Hondaru
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:16:01 am »
I just found out my head gasket is going already. FML. Need to change it. As well as suspension parts, and an a/c belt!!! Go in for an oil change.... *sigh*

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 08:59:37 am »
On the DOHC cars, a failed head gasket can eventually mean engine death from sludging and other bad stuff happening.

On the SOHC cars, head gaskets tend to fail "externally" - they leak outward, so as long as you keep oil and coolant topped up you can drive effectively forever like that.

I have seen one internal leak on an SOHC car, but the car sat for a really long time and was started up without checking for sludge. Spun a rod bearing at idle and the oil came out like chunky salsa.

Offline GrahamB

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2015 STi Sport
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:18:30 am »
I have 325,000 km on my 2003 NA legacy GT and I am just starting to get an external leak from the factory Head Gaskets. Honestly like stated above if you top up coolant and oil and it will go FOREVER.