Author Topic: GroupA Short Shifter  (Read 1441 times)

Offline MartinC

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1999 Legacy GTB, 2005 Legacy GT Wagon
GroupA Short Shifter
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:46:06 am »
This review is based on an install 5 years ago  :) But hey I wanted to share my experience!

I've recently been researching short shifters and found no information on this fabulous Canadian built short shifter from GroupA.  I installed it in 2009 in an 02 WRX wagon after some research between it, Cobb, and a KartBoy.  I chose the GroupA because it's adjustable two ways with quite an ingenious design, it was made in Canada, and the price was quite competitive.  I purchased it from a WSC group buy from TougeTuning, during their early days as well.  I remember they had joined the WSC vendor market in 07/08 time frame and it was a great experience dealing with them.

The install was straight forward.  Pry it out like you're trying to reef your shifter out as if your life depended on it.  It's quite a scary task!  Pop the new one in after hooking up the linkage.  And by pop, I mean bash it like hell until it pops in, just before the moment you smash your shifter like you did when getting it out.

You can tell the design of the shifter influenced the newer Cobb.  I think they copied as much as possible.  I like the GroupA becuase there are only 2 allen screws to adjust, the shifter is physically smaller, and the design is simpler.  The drawback with this shifter is that if you set in too low, it will bang against the front part of the shifter opening when you are in first gear.  This is common to most short shifters and fixable by grinding out the corners of the opening.

Product Highlights:
 * 100% made in Canada
 * 6061 Aluminum
 * Anodized
 * CNC milled
 * Adjustable throw and height
 * Easy Install
 * Universal kit - fits many cars regardless of size of ball ends

Sadly the company is out of business, based on I could not find any web presence.  I hope this might help anyone that might come across one in the used market. 

Enjoy the pictures.  You can see how crazy you can get with making it a long throw and short knob height.  The last picture was pretty close to the installed dimensions.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: GroupA Short Shifter
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 08:05:31 am »
Yeah, Group A went out of business a bit ago. Kind of sad, since I still have a few of their parts on my car.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.