Author Topic: new trend: driving under the speed limit?  (Read 6106 times)

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2000 OBS EJ222 +MFT, KTM Duke 390, 1996 Ford E350 SD ambulance, 1990 4runner
new trend: driving under the speed limit?
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
I dont know if ive only noticed this recently and it's been going on the whole time or if its a horrible new trend.
I've been noticing more and more that I feel like uckfaying rocket racer, weaving in and out of traffic, doing twice their speeds, etc etc, and im only doing the speed limit
It started on 8th ave E, just in front of my house. Theres a high school (which people often mistake as a school speed zone), then an old folks home, then an asian supermarket, which is pretty much the perfect storm.
Speed limit is 60km/h and I usually am behind someone going 30-40km/h
Now im noticing it all over town.
Ill unconsciously stack up behind someone, assume ive hit traffic for a bit, then when I change lanes, discover theyve got nothing but open road in front of em.

it makes me super mad. Its like an intrusion of the oil & gas safety insanity into my daily life.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline YvanF

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
Re: new trend: driving under the speed limit?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
I dont know if ive only noticed this recently and it's been going on the whole time or if its a horrible new trend.
I've been noticing more and more that I feel like uckfaying rocket racer, weaving in and out of traffic, doing twice their speeds, etc etc, and im only doing the speed limit
It started on 8th ave E, just in front of my house. Theres a high school (which people often mistake as a school speed zone), then an old folks home, then an asian supermarket, which is pretty much the perfect storm.
Speed limit is 60km/h and I usually am behind someone going 30-40km/h
Now im noticing it all over town.
Ill unconsciously stack up behind someone, assume ive hit traffic for a bit, then when I change lanes, discover theyve got nothing but open road in front of em.

it makes me super mad. Its like an intrusion of the oil & gas safety insanity into my daily life.

My truck used to do this. Speedo was off by 10km/hr.  ;)

Offline 05LGT

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: 100% screaming bald eagles
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »
Sometimes in cold weather the Laggin Wagon tells me I am doing 180-210km/h when I am moving at a normal pace...
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »
While I loathe other drivers, and decry our ittshay drivers education system that leaves them unprepared to control their vehicle (because it teached/preaches timidity as the ultimate virtue)...  I also don't want them driving faster than they feel comfortable their abilities allow.

In summation, free bus passes if they turn in their drivers license.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »
While I loathe other drivers, and decry our ittshay drivers education system that leaves them unprepared to control their vehicle (because it teached/preaches timidity as the ultimate virtue)...  I also don't want them driving faster than they feel comfortable their abilities allow.

In summation, free bus passes if they turn in their drivers license.

I'd pay higher taxes for that.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2000 OBS EJ222 +MFT, KTM Duke 390, 1996 Ford E350 SD ambulance, 1990 4runner
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »
I'd pay higher taxes for that.

oh god if only.

Id pay higher taxes (to make up for ticket profits) for a more in-depth and useful driver training program that extends beyond "ok you're probably not going to kill anyone, heres a license, dont come back till you're 75"

but yeah, the frustrating part is that its hard to complain about. just like oil & gas safety madness.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

Offline Cagare

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 S2000, 2012 Tundra, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »
Not sure how long you have lived in Alberta, but this is common place here.  This is a very common comment from immigrants to the Province from the central part of Canada.  It is definitely not a new thing and I have been quite frustrated with it from day 1.  People are in constant pleasure cruise sunday driving mode here.  I am not just talking old people, but everyone.

There are definitely worse driving habits, like tailgating.  Tailgating is by far the worst part about driving in the GTA, and the best part is it is usually a BMW.

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
Not sure how long you have lived in Alberta, but this is common place here.  This is a very common comment from immigrants to the Province from the central part of Canada.  It is definitely not a new thing and I have been quite frustrated with it from day 1.  People are in constant pleasure cruise sunday driving mode here.  I am not just talking old people, but everyone.

There are definitely worse driving habits, like tailgating.  Tailgating is by far the worst part about driving in the GTA, and the best part is it is usually a BMW.

agreed. I'm originally from BC, so im used to albertans crawling around corners on the brakes then blasting straight stretches like theyre f1 racers.
ittshay thing is ive started to catch myself tailgating out of frustration and/or the hope that the person in front will turn off his cruise control and stop driving immediately beside another car going the same speed. but i digress, its like sunday every day of the week up in here!

Offline Cagare

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
agreed. I'm originally from BC, so im used to albertans crawling around corners on the brakes then blasting straight stretches like theyre f1 racers.
ittshay thing is ive started to catch myself tailgating out of frustration and/or the hope that the person in front will turn off his cruise control and stop driving immediately beside another car going the same speed. but i digress, its like sunday every day of the week up in here!

I gave up on tailgating a least a year ago, they don't get the message.  The one thing that still gets me pissed off is when someone is in a hurry to make a right turn in front of me, when there is no one behind me, and then proceeds to do 10 under in that situation.  In that situation I have laid on the horn a few times and tail gated.  That's one of the few road situations that still gets my hair standing on end.

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
I gave up on tailgating a least a year ago, they don't get the message.  The one thing that still gets me pissed off is when someone is in a hurry to make a right turn in front of me, when there is no one behind me, and then proceeds to do 10 under in that situation.  In that situation I have laid on the horn a few times and tail gated.  That's one of the few road situations that still gets my hair standing on end.

mmmyess thats pretty enraging. What is almost on-par for me is when people slow down to almost a standstill when making a right into a parking lot or some such thing and stay in the flowing lane until literally the bitter end.

Offline Cagare

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »

mmmyess thats pretty enraging. What is almost on-par for me is when people slow down to almost a standstill when making a right into a parking lot or some such thing and stay in the flowing lane until literally the bitter end.

That is an extremely popular thing to do here.  I have also find people do the same thing at green lights.  I understand the need to check for pedestrians, but you don't have to come to a complete stop in the intersection to do the check, other than downtown Calgary of course.

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '10 FXT '15 WRX
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »
In Edmonton anyways, perhaps part of it has something to do with the city arbitrarily lowering the photo radar speeding "buffer" and noticably increasing the number of photo radar vehicles on the street, thus scaring people to go slower.  I know nowadays my foot automatically twitches to cover the brake everytime I see a vehicle on the side of the street.
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline YvanF

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 09:40:39 AM »
In Edmonton anyways, perhaps part of it has something to do with the city arbitrarily lowering the photo radar speeding "buffer" and noticably increasing the number of photo radar vehicles on the street, thus scaring people to go slower.  I know nowadays my foot automatically twitches to cover the brake everytime I see a vehicle on the side of the street.

Haha. Guilty of this as well.

Offline foresterfan

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: forester
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 11:36:46 AM »

.......... and stay in the flowing lane until literally the bitter end.

This gets my goat everytime.... They then cut off the driver... And have the odascity to wave. Like the person in the free flowing lane had a voice in the matter.
It is even more crazy when the "merger" or "mergette" is not let in and they give the stinkface or horn treatment.
Personally I would rather see the one finger salute as at  least it is honest and representative of the situation.
Peace.

Offline Dutchy

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: one big ol' Cummins
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:13:53 PM »

try driving in st. Albert.  You don't know what utility box is rigged with a camera or what corner they are hiding behind. Heck I'm scared to even get up to the speed limit in st. Albert. 

Offline SpdDmn

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »
Audacity  ;)
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »
try driving in st. Albert.  You don't know what utility box is rigged with a camera or what corner they are hiding behind. Heck I'm scared to even get up to the speed limit in st. Albert. 

I don't make enough money to be allowed travel through there.

LOOK, THAT MAN IS DRIVING A REASONABLY PRICED JAPANESE CAR, GET HIM!

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
I don't make enough money to be allowed travel through there.

Me and rathburn actually saw two super freaking awesome Miatas and an s13 (IIRC) train burnouts in st albert while we were picking up car parts.

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
Me and rathburn actually saw two super freaking awesome Miatas and an s13 (IIRC) train burnouts in st albert while we were picking up car parts.

They were probably criminals then.

Offline YvanF

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »

This made me ROFL

Offline cmyles

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »
I am constantly behind somebody doing this.
ALWAYS on my way to work, and coming home from work.

Not sure if its a coincidence, but there's always a handful of select few when passing the T&T supermarket.... Just saying.

I had a lady the other day, cut me off, literally do 30km/h in a 60km/h, as OP stated, merge onto an 80km/h road, and do 60km/h with her left signal on in the far right lane, not only making drivers cautious of her speed, but having them try and let her in. Harvest Hills Blvd to Beddington Trail for anybody wondering.
I purposely stuck behind to watch this woman try and drive and just shake my head at how people get their license.
This is becoming more and more common, people who have no idea how to properly operate a motor vehicle.
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »
I am constantly behind somebody doing this.
ALWAYS on my way to work, and coming home from work.

Not sure if its a coincidence, but there's always a handful of select few when passing the T&T supermarket.... Just saying.

I had a lady the other day, cut me off, literally do 30km/h in a 60km/h, as OP stated, merge onto an 80km/h road, and do 60km/h with her left signal on in the far right lane, not only making drivers cautious of her speed, but having them try and let her in. Harvest Hills Blvd to Beddington Trail for anybody wondering.
I purposely stuck behind to watch this woman try and drive and just shake my head at how people get their license.
This is becoming more and more common, people who have no idea how to properly operate a motor vehicle.

Racist. HOW DARE YOU.

I've heard from several sources a certain type of person generally bribe their way to a license in Richmond.  Wouldn't surprise me if it happend around here neither.

Offline Claw

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | 06S2k
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »
Damn, I'm in the wrong career.

Should start up a driving school for people with more money than smrts.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Zac

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 07:19:57 PM »
my pet peeve is being stuck behind someone doing way under the limit while on a ramp trying to merge into traffic.

And if you're being tailgated in the GTA it most likely is because you're driving too slow, OPP hands out plenty of tickets for people driving to slow as they are a hazard to other drivers. Speed limit on 400 series highways change daily, some days you're driving 90 some days its 140 because you have to follow the flow of traffic.

Offline Cagare

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 07:22:30 PM »
And if you're being tailgated in the GTA it most likely is because you're driving too slow

Bahahahahaha

That's the funniest thing I have heard today.