Author Topic: Timing Belts?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
Timing Belts?
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:51:50 am »
Mods I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.  I searched and search and didn't find any solid info.

I know it's been discussed before, but like I said I didn't find much through search.

I'm curious of reviews and opinions on the gates timing kits.

| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
Re: Timing Belts?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:14:55 am »
Mods I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.  I searched and search and didn't find any solid info.

Quote from: Car Part Reviews
Post a review of one of your parts. If you want to get suggestions about a modification then try "Modification Ideas".

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:17:01 am »
I'm perfectly happy with my "non-racing" Gates kit.  Including all the idlers, tensioner, and water pump.  I liked that it included a spacer/feeler to set the guides to the correct distance from the belt.

I also saw (when helping Mark install his) that they now include a _metal_ waterpump gasket like OEM.

I have seen some anecdotal evidence of the "racing" versions of the kit (with the blue belt) having the blue come off on the idlers & gumming up inside the timing cover.  I would not go with the "racing" version unless you were spinning the motor to _much_ higher RPM, or having something else in your build that would cause the motor to change speed much *much* quicker.

Offline poopeebum

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 11:29:55 am »
i have the racing blue one installed on my saabaru since since October 2013, i've read the early kits of people running into problems because the blue paint rubs off on the pulleys and tensioners and gunk them up, i've also read that this was caused by not spacing the belt guide properly. the new gates kits all include a belt guide spacing tool for a while now.

i haven't opened up my timing belt covers to inspect the condition of my belt yet, i will probably do this when i replace the center belt cover next year but so far i haven't experienced any problems.

i did notice the racing blue belt was stiffer than the regular tomei belt, i don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing, all other parts included in the kit seemed like OEM parts and not an aftermarket manufacturer
2005 WRX Wagon with Saab bodykit

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:31:19 am »
I've done 2 Gates kits on my own cars, including waterpump, tensioner, belt, and all idlers and haven't had any issues.
I've also assisted with numerous other installs using the same gates parts on both DOHC and SOHC, and those cars have not had any issues (that were timing belt related)

I would also agree with Grant's statements re: "racing" kit with the blue paint. Unless you're doing some crazy wacko build, there's no need for it and could cause issues.
This is based on random internet postings. I've never used the "race" kit, but for those reasons.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:31:54 am »
i did notice the racing blue belt was stiffer than the regular belt

Stiffer than another new belt? or stiffer than the one that came off?  Because the "regular" belt when new is stiffer than the ~160,00km ones I've taken off.

I've never used the "race" kit, but for those reasons.

And the reason that it costs more...

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:15:43 pm »
Thanks for that posting reminder GrantC.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, a lot of what has been shared is pretty much what I had figured.

On my 04 Wagon with the 207, I have an STi Kevlar reinforced belt that I ordered from Japan with all Subaru OEM replacement idlers.   All of that was stupid expensive.

My FXT is at 130k km so I will be doing it asap just to be safe.  That's close enough to the recommended interval on Subaru's scheduled maintenance. 

Touge Tuning has a pretty close price between the race and non race kits.  So at first I figured why not get the stronger belt.  However as mentioned it's overkill.  I'll be going with the non race. I just wanted to make sure that the gates kit has been good for everyone.

As far as what was mentioned of the gates racing belt being stiffer it's likely due to it being Kevlar reinforced.  GrantC is totally right about the comparison of even the OEM used and new.
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline poopeebum

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 03:37:57 pm »
Stiffer than another new belt? or stiffer than the one that came off?  Because the "regular" belt when new is stiffer than the ~160,00km ones I've taken off.

And the reason that it costs more...

actually correction, i shouldn't say "regular" belt, i was comparing the new gates racing belt in my kit to a new tomei timing belt (i think is also kevlar reinforced), and the gates one seemed like it won't bend as easily. but yea used belts are definately softer

i just got the gates racing one because i wanted a stronger belt but is it worth $100+ more or more than double the price of a regular belt, i dunno, i'm sure the regular belt is just fine

2005 WRX Wagon with Saab bodykit

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 06:12:14 pm »
actually correction, i shouldn't say "regular" belt, i was comparing the new gates racing belt in my kit to a new tomei timing belt (i think is also kevlar reinforced), and the gates one seemed like it won't bend as easily. but yea used belts are definately softer

i just got the gates racing one because i wanted a stronger belt but is it worth $100+ more or more than double the price of a regular belt, i dunno, i'm sure the regular belt is just fine

Yeah that's why I was thinking of the blue, it's only $44 more from Touge Tuning right now.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 06:17:04 pm »
I got the gates blue one...wasn't much more money and it looked fancy. Not necessary for what I use my car for in hindsight

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 06:41:20 pm »
Question for those of you who sprung for the "stronger" racing, tomei, or STi belts...  Have you ever heard of a Subaru timing belt breaking from anything other than age/mileage?

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:16:47 pm »
Question for those of you who sprung for the "stronger" racing, tomei, or STi belts...  Have you ever heard of a Subaru timing belt breaking from anything other than age/mileage?

It looked pretty in pictures. I wanted it. I bought it. I'll probably never see it again for another few years.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:19:15 pm »
It looked pretty in pictures.

...while it turns under your timing belt cover? ;)

Anyways, rockauto sells the kits for cheaper than touge, and is usually cheaper even after shipping costs.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 08:29:36 pm »
...while it turns under your timing belt cover? ;)

I said it was pretty, didn't say I was very smart lol  :P

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 10:08:58 pm »
My Gates kit included a stamped impeller on the water pump.  According to some article I read, the cast impeller flows better than the stamped, so you may want to consider going that route.

Again, I'm sure it's not a requirement but just as a "good enough" part since Subaru obviously sells them too.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 07:44:43 am »

For myself it was my first time doing a timing belt on a Subaru.   It was for my EJ207 before I swapped it in.   The engine didn't even need it according to the stated km.  To be hobest I was nervous and just did it to have piece of mind.  Three of the idlers were not great when tested, so I was glad I did the preventative maintenance.  The bealt wasn't overly worn, but I changed it anyway.   I simply ordered the recommended replacement belt from a Japanese supplier (R HD Japan).  I will be able to see my pretty partially cherry blossom belt once my clear timing covers are installed haha