Author Topic: Canuckrz's 2004 Forester XT - Long Overdue (from laziness) Update  (Read 50986 times)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Canuckrz's 2004 Forester XT - Parts Everywhere
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 09:20:44 pm »
I should get vex to fix my valve cover.. Stupid car.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 09:26:31 pm »
Yeah, watching the hoodscoop become a chimney for the oil smoke at stoplights along with the smell gets old fast.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 09:33:50 am »
So that's what that smell was. I thought it was engine shampoo that wasn't washed off well from them working on your car.

You should get a trailer hitch ball with a nut welded onto it for your shift knob ; P
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 11:34:57 am »
Hah, then I will use the rest of the rod to weld up my diff while I have the welder setup.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 11:57:15 am »
Hah, then I will use the rest of the rod to weld up my diff while I have the welder setup.

That's the spirit.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:10 pm »
Updated the post on the previous page with the parts pictures.

Swung down to to the Pick N Pull to scavenge a 03 Fozzy X for a couple things for my head unit relocation. Found the identical pocket I was looking for though it has a couple scratches on the face, might replace it later but for $4 it will be a fine placeholder. Also cut about a 8" length off of the factory stereo wiring to use to make an extension harness to reach up to the top cubbyhole where the headunit will end up living. All I'm missing now is a couple adapter harnesses, the chip to allow me to watch DVD's on the fly without dicking around with switches/relays, and finally the top enclosure itself H0010-SA950-ML

This is pretty much exactly what I want to accomplish:

Taken from FXTSPORTS08 on SubaruForester.org

Also while I was at the pick n pull I found a rare gem randomly. A mid 2000's wrx passenger seat, no airbags, heat, nothing, so it was only like $30. Needs a cleaning, but is otherwise mint. The odd thing was it was just sitting by itself around some other Subaru's, I never did find the WRX itself. And now I've found myself a new side project as my old office chair comically self destructed over the course of a week while I was using it.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2014, 10:18:11 pm »
Before(fail)

lol, that's exactly how I ran things for three years.  LDS even commented on why I was using two floor mats...  Anyway, congrats on the digital liners.  :) 

As for that WRX seat, if you haven't started cleaning it yet, hit up Carzilla.  Chris has two fabric cleaners, one expensive, one cheaper.  The cheaper one is Dakota Fabric Foam and it works very well.  Smells nice too!
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2014, 10:20:51 pm »
Yeah... I really hope those mats weren't actually suppose to be made for a Fozzy. If so they're absolutely isspay poor (they're still pretty crap as far as OEM AS mats go even if they did fit right).
As for that WRX seat, if you haven't started cleaning it yet, hit up Carzilla.  Chris has two fabric cleaners, one expensive, one cheaper.  The cheaper one is Dakota Fabric Foam and it works very well.  Smells nice too!
I really do need to stop by there sometime. However my plan for the seat and a lot of my other appolstery is to pick up one of these off of Kijiji (hopefully tomorrow). It is also handy to have kicking around the condo incase one of the oh SHIIII- moments occur where something spills on the beige carpet.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2014, 11:39:06 pm »
I want to turn my OEM STi drivers seat into an office chair, so if you do it, please write it up.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2014, 12:05:37 am »
Yeah... I really hope those mats weren't actually suppose to be made for a Fozzy. If so they're absolutely isspay poor...

I think they were a one size fits nothing and custom molded to be so stiff that they plank over curved surfaces.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Canuckrz's 2004 Forester XT - Now with Additional Cleaning Power
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2014, 02:50:51 pm »
Picked up an unused spotcleaner for $40 off of kijiji, came with pretty much everything but the box, including the small sized bottle of cleaner.

The cleaner seemed to work fairly well though it seems the water didn't get very hot, I think it might have to be run pretty much constantly wide open to generate the full heat. I'll have to try a different technique next time to see if I can get the heat going. Overall for $40 money well spent, not to mention if I ever spill anything on my carpet it will pay for itself instantly then. The cell phone pictures as usual don't give the difference much justice. But it pulled quite a good amount of sludge and human goop off of the seat. I'll probably hit it again once the seat fully drys, the cleaning formula apparently also works over time so I might pull up even more crap.

Still debating how I want to go about making the adapter plate. Seeing as other people want to do this I have to make it be done with reasonably accessible tools so making it out of steel is less of an option. The one thing I know for sure so far that I will need is either some threaded rod or some long bolts I can cut the heads off of. All the seat mounts to the rail are straight on the bottom of the seat itself (on my wrx passenger seat anyway).

I might go for flat bar that has the holes in it at Canadian tire and make an # shape with it to line up the seat mounting points and the base mounting points. The trick with that idea is if the holes don't line up or have enough play in them to join the crossbars together then the connection would have to either be welded or ghetto rigged somehow, which makes the plan less ideal. Looking at how the arms are mounted to the seat itself and not the base makes it look like this plan might not work as the flat bar with the holes in it I doubt are stiff enough to support the arms.

Another option is the standard flat piece of plywood with both bolt patterns of the seat and base drilled into it. However wood is generally less durable, and if its visible it could look rather shoddy.

As far as the hardware goes I can thread in the rod and use it like a stud to be able to set the distance between the seat and the adapter plate easily just by moving a nut that will act as a stopper. This also gives me the distance I need away from the bottom of the seat itself as the mounts are recessed a bit into the frame of the seat. It also gives me the option to give the seat a bit of natural tilt by lengthening the front studs and shortening the rear etc etc. It will also make it easier to install on the adapter plate as it will save trying to jam bolts through holes and try to get it to thread into the seat.

Also looking at the wiring underneath the seat I'm starting to suspect it might in fact be heated, which could lead to an interesting mod after its assembled.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2014, 03:47:16 pm »
Those little Bissells (I have one for cleaning up pet stains) are just not as good as they should be. I get slightly better results with distilled water instead of tap water, but that might be placebo effect. There's an auto upholstery cleaner you can use as well, Canadian Tire sells it.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2014, 04:10:35 pm »
Can't disagree. The only difference between the various spot cleaners is what attachments come with them the auto one comes with a crevice tool. I'm probably going to pick up an actual steamer to supplement it.

Also anyone in Calgary have a small thick piece of plywood kicking around? Like 16x20" ideally or so and I can cut it down from there.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2014, 04:14:11 pm »
I have a bissell autoheat and it works really well on interior. The trick is to use hot hot hot tap water and just use straight water in the machine. Pretreat the upholstery beforehand using your favorite product(folex,APC,1z blitz ,ect.) then scrub using an upholstery brush. Use your cleaning machine after and you will have amazing results.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Canuckrz's 2004 Forester XT - Impostor Seats
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2014, 05:31:29 pm »
Well I was trying to figure out what WRX this thing was out of but nothing matched the seam pattern on the seats. I looked up the part number on the inside of one of the seat trim, and it turns out the seat is from a last gen Celica. Seats look damn identical other than the seam pattern. Not sure how feel now, and if putting together a guide would even be relevant anymore.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2014, 10:26:21 pm »
Can't disagree. The only difference between the various spot cleaners is what attachments come with them the auto one comes with a crevice tool. I'm probably going to pick up an actual steamer to supplement it.
I was unclear. There's literally a Bissell automotive shampoo for use in these little machines.

It works a lot better than the home carpet/furniture/pet shampoos that they also sell for the Little Greens. Canadian Tire sells a bottle of it in the aisle with all the other Bissell refill junk.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Canuckrz's 2004 Forester XT - Impostor Seats
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2014, 10:32:56 pm »
Interesting. I'll have to go take a look. I didn't notice anything like that when I was there earlier.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Canuckrz's 2004 Forester XT - The Leaky Seal Gets The...
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2014, 07:24:39 pm »
Well I got the passenger side valve cover gasket replaced at Vex today. One last ride as the residual oil burns off then no more crap smell.

Then I swung by Carzilla, neat little spot. Its tiny and smells like a scented candle factory on acid, but a fair amount of cool stuff. Picked up some of that Quartz stuff that 10secdream uses all the time, and some 0000 steel wool to polish up the exhaust tip.

Unfortunately I also found out while I was at Vex that the top of the rad is seeping where the plastic joins the metal. Looks like it only really does it when the coolant is cold and it expands and mostly seals, but no bueno none the less. I have to drain the fluid and replace the hoses anyway because I guess it was leaking slightly at the corroded thermostat housing, but additional expenses and so fourth. But as usual I'll just use this as an excuse to upgrade. I'll probably call Vex tomorrow to get pricing. I guess they don't like mishimoto stuff, which is unfortunate because it doesn't look like koyo makes a rad for the Fozzy. We'll see I guess.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2014, 07:58:47 pm »
Enjoy the CQuartz :)  I will never go back to wax. 

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2014, 08:41:08 pm »
Overall for $40 money well spent, not to mention if I ever spill anything on my carpet it will pay for itself instantly then.
Works exceptionally well on cat vomit on white carpet... trust me on this.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:23 pm »
A/M rads are an issue on foresters due to clearance.
I looked into this when mine blew. The price and "added performance" wasn't worth the issues that people were dealing with on the SF forums.
I just got an oem replacement from a shop here in town.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2014, 08:56:03 pm »
A/M rads are an issue on foresters due to clearance.
I looked into this when mine blew. The price and "added performance" wasn't worth the issues that people were dealing with on the SF forums.
I just got an oem replacement from a shop here in town.
Yeah I was reading about the tight clearances when I was looking into if other more available Subaru rads would fit. Mishimoto sells a Fozzy XT specific rad so I would assume it would be good to go.

http://www.mishimoto.com/subaru-forester-xt-turbo-manual-04-08.html

I would like to upgrade for a couple reasons:

1.)Makes me feel less like I'm losing money and more like investing it.
2.)Lifetime warranty/Its not going to break again down the road.

Granted I'm not ignorant of the downsides, and I need to think it over and look over the various pricing options. Such as increased cooling capacity means it takes longer to heat up, and will get less hot overall, which is less desirable in the winter and for fuel economy. To what extent of each, I don't know.

Also there's the other main disadvantage which is repeatedly burning yourself on the top of the damn radiator as its now aluminum vs plastic.

Decisions decisions.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2014, 08:58:07 pm »
1) I like mishimoto. Lifetime warranty
2) I will help swap the rad. I've only done.... 3? In the last few years, including 2 STi's, and an 06 WRX Wagon.
3) I've burned myself on the top of the rad. It uckfaying hurts. Rad shroud kinda helps.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2014, 10:13:59 pm »
1) I like mishimoto. Lifetime warranty
2) I will help swap the rad. I've only done.... 3? In the last few years, including 2 STi's, and an 06 WRX Wagon.
3) I've burned myself on the top of the rad. It uckfaying hurts. Rad shroud kinda helps.
That would be awesome if you could lend a hand. I've replaced/removed rads a few times before myself.

I'll give you a hand designing/fabricating an adapter plate for your STI seat. Should be fairly similar to how I would be going about the Celica seat, just depends on how the rail mounts to the seat.

I'll be getting a shroud sooner or later either way I go. They look good, and make a nice tool tray. And yeah I've burned my hand a couple times before on a buddys aluminum rad, feels bad man.

Works exceptionally well on cat vomit on white carpet... trust me on this.
Delicious.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2014, 07:26:14 am »
Let me know when/where, and let's get it done.