Author Topic: Fog lamp issue  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Wackyraces

• Stubbly Faced
Fog lamp issue
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:24:06 pm »
I purchased an 08 impreza 2.5i with fog lights. There is a bulb in one side, but the other only had the end of the wire line. I purchased a bulb and pigtail and spliced it on. Once I tried to turn the fog lights on they didnt work. I tested the line with a volt tech while I left the lights "running" but it couldn't pick up any current in the lines. What could be the problem?
The fuse is fine
I'm extremely green when it comes to vehicle wiring.

Offline soulvaccination

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '09 stg 2 non-flared fail-wagon
Re: Fog lamp issue
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 07:44:59 pm »
Allow me some dumb questions...

Do you have the hi beams on? Your fogs on the 08's won't work with the hi-beams. You need the low beams on, with the car key in the "on" position. Park lights only won't work to turn on the fogs if I remember correctly.

Do you get the interior gauge cluster fog light indicator lighting up?  If not, the problem is your switch relay or the selector ring on the stalk. 

If these all check out okay and you're sure it's the lamp/socket at the fog light itself, did the first side that came with the car ever light up? And stop working when you spliced on the new lamp?  Or did neither fog light work since you got the car?
"Throttle fixes everything.  Left-foot braking fixes everything the throttle doesn't fix, including impotence and poor self-esteem.  Banging off a rev limiter while looking out a car's side window and slamming into a steering stop will cure cancer."

-Sam Smith (Jalopnik writer)

Offline Wackyraces

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:14:43 pm »
Due to the nature of my lack of knowledge, your dumb questions aren't so dumb haha.
I figured it out by accident when I was looong for something else in the manual. Like you said, the low beam lights first need to be on, I hadn't realized that...   Oh to know all these things already and skip the stupid mistakes! Lol
Thank you for taking the time to help, MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Offline dan miyogi

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 07 WRX Wagon WRB
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 01:42:36 pm »
im pretty sure there is also an easy mod to have the fog light relay powered up with ignition so you can use them whenever you want, instead of only with low beams on which is ridiculous, i know i did it on my 07 wrx but im sure the 08 underneath isnt tooo much different. ill check tonight and see if i can find the writeup on it