Author Topic: DIY/How to: Fix Annoying A-Pillar Rattle  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Stig

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2009 DGM Wrx STI
DIY/How to: Fix Annoying A-Pillar Rattle
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:41:23 am »
This is an easy fix for those of you with the annoying A pillar rattle/crackling sound that comes from near the windshield on colder days or sharp hard bumps. I had this problem in my GR sti and it was driving me crazy.

This doesn't take long at all. I did both sides since it was so easy.

Things you will need:

Foam Tape - I found this at Canadian tire near all the furnace and window supplies. It comes in Different thickness. I chose the 6.4mm And it worked Great.
10mm Socket
Very Small Flat Head Screwdriver

Start by prying off the SRS Airbag Cap with the small flat head screwdriver. This pop off pretty easy but be careful not to scratch the pillar.

Next use the 10mm socket and remove the bolt.

There is a small plastic clip in the center of the pillar. Pull gently from the center until it pops out. Then remove the pillar by pulling towards the rear of the car. There is 2 plastic tabs that sit in 2 holes. This is where the rattling comes from.

On the bottom of the A pillar, peal off the factory black tape that Subaru puts on the plastic tabs ( No pic of this). Once removed its best to clean these tabs with alcohol so the foam tape can stick properly.

Cut some foam strips and wrap them completely around the tabs. These stuff seems to stick very well.

All you need to do now is reinstall by reversing the steps above.
Pillars will now feel nice and firm in place compared to before.
Rattles are gone!