Author Topic: a few questions about some parts.  (Read 2700 times)

Offline justin

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 08 Subaru Impreza, 90 Nissan 300zx
a few questions about some parts.
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:00:36 pm »
Wondering what would be a better, more aggressive sounding exhaust would be for my car?  When I look around it seems like most of you favour nvidia.  Just wondering what other exhausts would have a nice sound to it.

Do you guys prefer coilovers or lowering springs?  Why?

Is there a difference between sway bar and strut bar?

What would be a good brand to get for crank pulley

And last question is, with keeping my car NA, what would be the best way for me to increase my acceleration time? I feel like its a bit slow.

My car is an 08 impreza if that info helps.  And sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
Re: a few questions about some parts.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:27:29 pm »
Exhaust? I'd say tomei, but only ever heard it once a while ago.

Coilovers vs lowering springs...
Ok first off what do you use your car for, and what is your goal. If you just want lower, but keep comfort, general consensus is go with springs. If you want really low, and don't care about comfort, coilovers.
Now, from what I've heard, you can get both with some coilovers. Brands that come to mind are kw (or st), and rsr. But neither give you slammed. Coilovers are not good for winter driving though.
Third option you didn't ask about but you might consider is air. I like that method. Adjustable on the fly. And just as good as coilovers supposedly.

Sway bar vs strut bar.
Yes there is a difference.
Sway bar is a torsion bar that twists to basically push one side back down to the ground to help keep the 4 wheels on the ground. This part helps with body roll.
Strut bar is pretty much just a piece of metal. It helps keep the chassis rigid and keeps the body of the car from twisting and distorting. This is considered a chassis upgrade. It follows the same idea as a strengthening beams

Crank pulley
Don't. Waste of money and time. I've had it on my 08 impreza. No difference. It only looks pretty.

As for increasing acceleration, not much. Your car is slow. Not to be rude but deal with it. You can spend 5 grand and get an avo turbo kit, but I don't know how good it is. You can put in a fancy intake, exhaust, and maybe tune. But you won't change much but decrease driveability. Believe me I've tried. Don't waste your money. Save up and buy a wrx or sti.

Can't stress that enough. I once thought about making my impreza really nice, but realized that I can go so much further with a wrx or sti. With the same amount of money. If you can afford it, go sti. You won't regret it. Only get a wrx if you want something from it that the sti doesn't have. For me it was the sunroof. That's all.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline justin

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 07:13:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I'll YouTube the tomei and see if I can notice a difference from the usual ones.

My car is my daily so as long as it comforts me I'm happy.  About that air, wouldn't that more cause issues in our winters if anything?

For the sway/strut, going with both isn't a bad idea if I want a more rigid ride then?  I'll look into it some more.

Crank pulley mod then is not gonna happen.  Don't mind that its for looks.

And that sucks I can't do any mod to increase the acceleration speed.  I could just make my car into a skeleton but those long trips would get noisy and annoying fast.

I've really thought about buying one but I have two issues.  The first and big hurdle I have is that I haven't practiced driving stick enough to be comfortable driving it yet.  I know how but to drive stick just not me.  I could get the automatic '15's, I just wanna wait and see how they hold up.  Another is that whenever I do check the forums I see how a lot of your guys wrx/stis have issues.  I would be too tempted to sell it if I kept getting issues with it.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:07:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I'll YouTube the tomei and see if I can notice a difference from the usual ones.

My car is my daily so as long as it comforts me I'm happy.  About that air, wouldn't that more cause issues in our winters if anything?

For the sway/strut, going with both isn't a bad idea if I want a more rigid ride then?  I'll look into it some more.

Crank pulley mod then is not gonna happen.  Don't mind that its for looks.

And that sucks I can't do any mod to increase the acceleration speed.  I could just make my car into a skeleton but those long trips would get noisy and annoying fast.

I've really thought about buying one but I have two issues.  The first and big hurdle I have is that I haven't practiced driving stick enough to be comfortable driving it yet.  I know how but to drive stick just not me.  I could get the automatic '15's, I just wanna wait and see how they hold up.  Another is that whenever I do check the forums I see how a lot of your guys wrx/stis have issues.  I would be too tempted to sell it if I kept getting issues with it.

Air does seem to be higher maintenance. I talked to e13tankbuster about it. He says that you would have to drain the tank often.

As for that driving stick thing, don't worry about it. I find it easier on my wrx than my old impreza. A bit heavier clutch. Helps you feel that friction point better.

As for suspension, yes you can put both. I did.

Choose the springs very carefully. Some can actually make the ride worse. Ask around to go for a ride in other members cars. Find out what you like and what you don't like. I have epic engineering springs and I love them. But my car just isn't low enough. Swift springs ate usually very good on the comfort scale. Go to wings meets, and ask around. Many people here would be happy to share info.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline justin

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 06:56:57 pm »
Just bumping an old thread.  For some reason can't find the one I originally made.   But I had a question that I can't find an answer to.

I was wondering what would NOT fit from a 08wrx to my 08 impreza.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:55:11 pm »
Just bumping an old thread.  For some reason can't find the one I originally made.   But I had a question that I can't find an answer to.

I was wondering what would NOT fit from a 08wrx to my 08 impreza.

Be a little more specific.
Engine? Suspension?
What are you looking to transfer?

Everything will fit if you put enough time and money into it.

Offline justin

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 11:47:22 pm »
You pretty much nailed it.  When I look on websites I'm pretty much stuck choosing wrx parts instead of regular impreza parts.  I want to upgrade my exhaust, suspension, and then possibly some engine mods because why not. 

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '18 H6 Outback '20 Legacy GT
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 10:10:15 am »
Everything will fit if you put enough time and money into it.

You pretty much nailed it.  When I look on websites I'm pretty much stuck choosing wrx parts instead of regular impreza parts.  I want to upgrade my exhaust, suspension, and then possibly some engine mods because why not. 

It's the same chassis, and if money/time isn't a concern everything will fit.  Let us know how your build goes!
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 10:32:21 am »
GR Impreza.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 12:47:52 pm »
exhaust
Yes, after modification because the header>catback isn't in the same place.

suspension
Yes. After you add the parts that were not installed by the factory on the impreza that are installed on the wrx (rear swaybar mounts)

possibly some engine mods because why not. 
Like CAI? Yes. After you add the wrx intake manifold, which requires the turbo, which requires the exhaust bits, which all require a wrx ECU, which requires a wrx wiring harness.
Like pistons? Sure. After you get the block to match.
Like heads? You betcha. After you get the ECU to handle DOHC.

Offline justin

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 03:27:30 pm »
Thanks Snackers