Author Topic: Anyone used a Comp Clutch Twin Disc?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline pyro6314

• Stubbly Faced
  • 20G BRO!
  • Ride: Magic Carpet
Anyone used a Comp Clutch Twin Disc?
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:46:51 pm »
I am searching high and low for a suitable clutch for my setup because it currently drives like an automatic with a lazy converter lock up. Nothing extreme, stock 257 long block with a rotated GT30. Even with an Exedy OEM replacement clutch I find this car is already jerky down low so I can't imagine tolerating a 6 puck HD ACT or similar. The car is light and has next to no slop in the driveline/bushings. I talked to Ryan at VEX and he suggested an OS Giken setup, and while that would be choice it is quite expensive for a part that wears out (even if it can be overhauled).

I'm keen on the idea of a twin/triple disc as it only makes sense; you reach a limit of holding power with the limited surface area of a single. If you continue to increase the clamping force, it's going to get ittshay to drive. I came across the Competition Clutch Twin.

Much cheaper ~$1400
Small diameter ~7.25"
Push Conversion but with an interesting (smart) hydraulic ram design
Large torque handling - ~700ft/lbs

The large torque handling and one claim of a quite stiff pedal has me concerned that the clamping force has been ridiculously jacked up to achieve that power handling on small discs and the hydraulic ram release bearing was a bandaid solution to this (albeit a good idea). A good comment I found about it is that since the discs are small (low moment of inertia) that is shifts very nicely.

Anyone have any input or suggestions? I would like to get a nice twin/triple but I'm not sure I can warrant spending more on a clutch than I did on the chassis. It would be cool to see a half price OS Giken with Comp Clutch's throw out bearing hydraulic ram..

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: bluecar
Re: Anyone used a Comp Clutch Twin Disc?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:07:52 am »
Have you by chance been talking to a certain Red Deer shop?

Although I have no experience with the twin disk I went through two(different) Comp Clutches at well under their suggested power levels.

Stage 2 chattered like a mofo and started to slip. Stage 3(kevlar) was smooth and slipped after break in. :|

I did, however, have an Exedy twin in one of my old cars. Felt lighter than a stock clutch. Very easy to drive. I loooooved it.

Offline pyro6314

• Stubbly Faced
  • 20G BRO!
  • Ride: Magic Carpet
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:29:10 am »
I did talk to light speed in red deer, but Cam didn't take my call. Only talked to the receptionist about pricing. I have heard only bad things about comp clutch's organic disc, but some people claim good and bad about the segmented ceramic discs. Chatter is expected they said (Comp clutch themselves) which isn't really acceptable in my books. As for power holding on the ceramic disc, 8 puck or the 6 puck, remains a question.

Offline Dano

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A few
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 10:55:23 am »
I know a bunch of Honda guys that run them, but 500+ HP guys.

Most of the people I have known with larger power Subarus have run the Exedy twin and been very happy with it, including quite a few with 4-00 WHP that daily drove their cars down in Colorado, and would go run 10 sec passes at the drag strip at 6000 ft altitude.
'93 Prelude SI H23VTEC 11.6:1 M2B4, 12.93 @ 108.21 MPH.
'02 Subaru WRX HKS, Invidia, Volk CE-28N, lots of Sti parts. Great winter beater.
'06 RSX Type-S Bone stock - for now
'11 GMC Sierra 4X4 - pulls stuff