Author Topic: WSC Ski/Snowboard Trip!  (Read 4891 times)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
WSC Ski/Snowboard Trip!
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:07:56 pm »
Welcome to the 2014-2015 WSC Ski & Snowboard Trip page!

Over the last little while, there have been talks of a trip open to all of the WSC-ers to be planned, and since i'm currently in the midst of planning a few trips of my own, i've decided to start this thread to get things rolling for everyone on here who is interested!

If you are interested in joining in on the trip, please vote on the poll and comment in the thread so I know approx. how many people we are dealing with. Once I have a good number, i'll be able to make up a pricing sheet of approx. how much it would cost for everyone!

If there is another option that you would like added to the poll, please let me know. The ones posted are the ones that I have the most information about, and are the ones that seem to be most popular to my friends and I.

I'm looking forward to getting this all planned out for all of us!

Thanks!
-Mark

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Re: WSC Ski/Snowboard Trip!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:25:12 pm »
Ah here we go! I have been waiting for you to start a thread about this, I am always in for a group trip to Banff!

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »
If you are interested in a trip, please post in this thread as well as vote in the poll. I'll be needing to make a list.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 05:04:11 pm »
cat skiing. damn good idea.
Second choice is just revelstoke.
third choice is literally anything but LL.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 05:31:50 pm »
cat skiing is a great idea!
second choice louise
thirde choice kicking horse

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 06:01:16 pm »
The poll re-set for some reason. For the 3-4 people that voted early on, please vote again.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 10:29:07 pm »
I love all the places listed but Sunshine (Banff) will probably be the only place I will join you guys. Reason is it is much closer and I love the park at sunshine :)

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:49:24 pm »
LL is sooooo bad, its almost hard to believe.

this is a big snow day on a big snow year there.

couple that with tons of crowds who are there for the view, a terrible lodge, and a stuck up "its better because its expensive" attitude being passively emitted by everyone from the lifties to the guys covered in top of the line HH gear walking back to their suite at the fairmont to the snooty ski-patrollers.
LL = (ski resort) - (everything fun about skiing) + (tons of money)

god...
dont mind me, im done ranting now..
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:02:07 pm »
LL is sooooo bad, its almost hard to believe.

this is a big snow day on a big snow year there.

couple that with tons of crowds who are there for the view, a terrible lodge, and a stuck up "its better because its expensive" attitude being passively emitted by everyone from the lifties to the guys covered in top of the line HH gear walking back to their suite at the fairmont to the snooty ski-patrollers.
LL = (ski resort) - (everything fun about skiing) + (tons of money)

god...
dont mind me, im done ranting now..

The only thing I love about LL is their parks. Over the past few years they have seriously stepped up their game. Gotta love the XL line that they throw in mid-late season. I LOOOOOOOOVE just airing those with nice methods or nose grabs. Soooo much fun.

Offline joe_mar

• Vendor
  • Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2013 Impreza
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 11:09:04 pm »
Fernie

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 07:40:49 pm »
Fernie

Fernie has been added.

I'll keep the poll open for a while longer. Maybe in a week and a half or so, we can start narrowing down where would work best for most people.

It seems that Golden or Revelstoke are the ones that are most popular so far. However, there is always the option of splitting the groups into cat and mountain groups but still driving down and hanging out together. Anyways, we'll leave that discussion for a little bit down the road.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »
You get 8 ppl together for cat skiing, it works out pretty cheap.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 08:51:52 pm »
I'm up for most places, though my pick is kind of bias'd in that I just voted for whatever is closest to me. Still haven't gotten a chance to board since I moved here from Nova Scotia (nothing but hard packed, artificial groomed snow). The only issue I might run into is my work with it being 2 weeks on 1 off, but if I can't make it aw well.

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 09:10:25 am »
I have had both amazing times and absolute crap times at all these places less Big White and cat skiing, never been/done that. If a cat trip does go through I would deff be down for that. But really the best days are those with a great group of ski/riders and just session a part of the mountain.

Always down to meet new ppl and expand the shred pack so put me down for all. (with cat preference ;) )

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 09:39:38 am »
Voted for Revy, never a bad choice!
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 09:56:11 am »
Voted Revelhorse + Kickingstoke :P

Offline joe_mar

• Vendor
  • Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2013 Impreza
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 11:31:22 pm »
Fernie has been added.

I'll keep the poll open for a while longer. Maybe in a week and a half or so, we can start narrowing down where would work best for most people.

It seems that Golden or Revelstoke are the ones that are most popular so far. However, there is always the option of splitting the groups into cat and mountain groups but still driving down and hanging out together. Anyways, we'll leave that discussion for a little bit down the road.

I voted Revy too, I want to go at least twice to Revelstoke and twow in kicking horse this season. Only reason I said fernie is because I'm going there on feb for catski!! stoked!

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 09:45:13 pm »
Alright, soooo due to the recent snowfall, I think it's time to do a little update on this thread....

It looks to me as if Revelstoke is a clear favourite for a trip destination. Although some may not be able to make/afford it, I'll try to organize a Louise sunshine cruise later on in the season. I'd be 100% down for that no matter what.

Now as far as this first trip goes.... I will edit the poll and narrow it down into more specific categories.
Keep in mind that for example; if the majority votes cat skiing, and you wont be able to afford it, you are still very welcome to just ride the resort for the days that we plan the trip, or vise versa. Also, if majority votes a multiple resort trip, and you are wanting to do something a little different but still meet for a certain portion of the trip you are by all means welcome to do that as well.

Also, keep your schedules open (as best as you can anyways), so that we can figure out a good date to go as soon as we decide the destination.

PLEASE VOTE AGAIN

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 09:53:40 pm »
Also....

Please be aware that Cat skiing will cost anywhere from $300-$475 for a single day of riding. A normal lift pass will cost a maximum of $84 per day. It gets cheaper if you order online/buy a pass from costco/are a student/have a vertical card.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 10:06:57 am »
Also....

Please be aware that Cat skiing will cost anywhere from $300-$475 for a single day of riding. A normal lift pass will cost a maximum of $84 per day. It gets cheaper if you order online/buy a pass from costco/are a student/have a vertical card.

You can also pick up passes from AMA for a discounted price.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 06:11:22 pm »
Hey everyone! I feel like i've been neglecting this thread due to how busy I am lately. My apologies!  :-\

With the semester coming to a close, and with my finals starting up right away, I was wondering if someone else is able to take the lead on planning this out??

I am 100% down to help out, but I just have too many things on my plate right now to keep this thread constantly updated with a trip being planned. Again, my apologies, but I don't like i've had a busier time in my life so far.

Let me know!

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 07:13:45 pm »
Unless someone is willing to step up and organize a trip to Revelstoke, it doesn't look like that is going to be happening this year.

With that being said, I think i'll be able to organize a trip down to Sunshine/Louise sometime in the new year. Any specific weekends/dates work for all of you? If you're interested.

Offline StreetsTheWay

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad || 2007 WRX STi || 2002 WRX Wagon
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 08:50:07 am »
I'm down for a sunshine trip.
Picked up a marmot card and I've gotta use of some of these days. (Good for Marmot and Sunshine)
Throw some dates out there? For me it'd have to be only weekends; Leave after 5pm friday and be back Sunday night..

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 04:25:36 pm »
Not a big fan of LL, I'll go but I only ever go when I'm outvoted. Much prefer Sunshine. I'm down for wherever, can't wait to get out!

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 07:31:24 pm »
Just looked at a few dates. I'm thinking mid February or sometime in March would potentially work for me. I'll be heading to Vancouver again for reading week, so how does the weekend of February 14th-15th work for you all?

Theoretically, this would be the plan:
- Meet at 4:30 am Saturday morning somewhere on the south end. Maybe south Edmonton Common somewhere.
- Leave at 4:45 am to Calgary. Drive to Calgary and meet up with any Calgarians somewhere. We meet at lets just say somewhere alongside the trans-canada maybe at the petro just west of the city?
- Leave Calgary and head to Lake Louise for the day.
- Ski and Board for the day, then head back to Banff for the night.
- Pack up and head to Sunshine day two, ski/board that day
- Leave at around 3:00 and make the drive back to Calgary/Edmonton

I would be able to land us fairly decent rates at one hotel in Banff. Its near the beginning of main street, so it's a few blocks to walk to the restaurants and safeway, etc., but as part of a Ukrainian youth group that i've been a part of and volunteered for for years, I can get us a special rate. I've organized multiple trips there, and we have always used that hotel. I can figure out the name of it later on.

Keep in mind that you can come or go at any point throughout this whole thing, but i'd need a number for hotel bookings by mid January probably.