Author Topic: My Scott Subaru Test Drive Experience  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Rachelle

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Anything Subaru
My Scott Subaru Test Drive Experience
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:45:53 am »
This is a write-up that I did last week for Scott Subaru. I will add that there will be a video following this. We are still in the editing phase of this, but I figured I'd give you a glimpse of what my Friday afternoon was like. Can't wait to share the video next!!!  ;D

My Subaru Experience

Hello, my name is Rachelle and I am a marketing coordinator for the Scottsville Auto Group.  As you know, Scott Subaru is one of the dealerships within the auto group. Since joining the marketing team, I have learned so much about these vehicles. Subaru truly stood out to me as it is different from any other make I've seen.

The family aspect of this manufacturer shocked me; not only does Subaru hold such a positive reputation in all communities, but people live Subaru. There are Subaru fan-clubs, groups specifically formed for Subaru fanatics and when you look up Subaru, nearly everything you read is something exciting or positive. Don't even get me started on how amazing their pictures are!

To fully gain a Subaru experience, I was offered to be taken on a Subaru ‘road test.’ Let me tell you something: these are nothing like any other test drive you will ever take! After driving around for a bit and gaining a feel for the vehicle I was taking on this road test, I was guided out to a long gravel road. Now, I have a pretty bad history with gravel roads. I recall roughly five years ago, I was in a near rollover accident on one. You can probably imagine my discomfort the minute we arrived on the gravel road.

It was one thing to simply be on the gravel road, but when the sales manager informed me we would be doing some ‘strategic maneuvering,’ I panicked slightly. It started off with driving up to a ‘comfortable’ (well, not for me) 60km/hr emergency break. This meant getting up to 60 and then slamming on the breaks as hard as I could. In most vehicles, the control factor disappears once you apply this kind of force on your breaks (especially on gravel). Surprisingly, I was capable of maintaining full control of the vehicle, even while slamming the breaks down. It drove perfectly straight! We continued upping the speed until I reached my personal highest speed on a gravel road at 113km an hour!! I was amazed – and still am – at how incredibly safe I felt in doing something that could cause an accident in most other rides.

The next part of the test was taking the vehicle at 60km/hr on the gravel and doing wide turns back and forth. This idea scared me to bits!!! This is exactly how I lost control of my old car five years ago! I called the sales manager crazy for suggesting it, but once I got to the speed and began turning the wheel left and right, I felt at ease. The control of the car was still in my hands and there was no fishtailing. It was amazing!

Of course the sales manager wanted to show me just how amazing they are and took one of the Subaru Outbacks down the road going 87km/h doing these maneuvers. I could only sit in the back seat and hold my jaw up. He was doing this with such ease and going far faster than I was in my car years ago. He also demonstrated the emergency stop going faster than 120km/hr. Yes, my friends, on gravel!!

I would love to see any other dealership offer you this kind of experience. I think it would be quite a hilarious situation if you walked up to a salesperson from somewhere else and asked them if you could take their vehicles down a gravel road going this fast and doing these kinds of maneuvers. Not likely.

Needless to say, as much as I had already grown such a love for Subaru, this has solidified everything and more when it comes to the brand its self. Subaru has gone through so many extra lengths to provide you with safety and are willing to go the distance to prove it! Thank you Scott Subaru for this eye-opening experience! As for Subaru in general, keep being absolutely amazing.

-Rachelle

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: My Scott Subaru Test Drive Experience
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:31:42 pm »
Welcome! Scott Subaru has always been one of the most well liked dealer around these parts. If I'm ever in the market for another Subaru, I'll be sure to head that way.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:35:11 pm »
Welcome! Scott Subaru has always been one of the most well liked dealer around these parts. If I'm ever in the market for another Subaru, I'll be sure to head that way.
Likewise, if Subaru brings the Levorg to North America I'd be strongly tempted to get one through you guys.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:37:47 pm »
Hi, welcome to the forums! Scott is my preferred dealer in Alberta.

Which Subaru did you drive on gravel, an Outback?

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 01:41:07 pm »
Welcome.  If I am ever in the market for a Subaru again I will keep you guys in mind.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 01:41:17 pm »
Likewise, if Subaru brings the Levorg to North America I'd be strongly tempted to get one through you guys.

After getting driven out to the mountains in a newer FXT this weekend, with the eyesight features, I'd be sorely tempted. I was impressed by the FA20 + CVT.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 01:42:21 pm »
Welcome. I had a great experience when I picked up my 2015 WRX from Scott Subaru.

I will also be on the wait list for a Levorg.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Rachelle

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 01:44:30 pm »
120km/hour on a gravel road? slow down Travis Pastrana.  I'm a good driver and I wouldn't go 113km/hour on a ittshay washboard gravel road.  And most likely this was an 80km/hour road also I'm guessing?
I'd like to see what kind of liability the dealership would be in for if they took a customer out for a gravel road demo and rolled the car with a customer inside.

You're a terrible marketing rep. Sorry

Doesn't that say something about the Subaru brand?  Just how AMAZING they are! Of course, if a customer was doing the drive themselves, it probably wouldn't be part of the road test to go that fast. It's completely up to them how far/fast they would like to take it. Funny enough, that exact road test is what has solidified so many sales at our dealership.

The reason we go this fast on a gravel road is to demonstrate what it's like to be on the highway during sub-optimal weather conditions. Slowing down is a viable option, but there are times you will need to swerve to avoid something, or slam on your breaks for similar reasons and even at 80km/hr, that can be devastating inside of other types of rides.

If you could point me in a better direction on how advertise Subaru's safety features and incredible symmetrical AWD system hands-on, please feel free to let me know. I would love some ideas that could recreate icey highway conditions. :)

Also, thank you for the kind words to the rest of you. :) Scott Subaru really does hold an awesome reputation in Alberta and it makes me proud to work for such a great group.

As for which vehicles we took we started with the XV (less power which was more optimal for me), but then we took out the turbo'd Forester and then the Outback to follow. All three were incredibly awesome to drive/ride in. Maybe they'll let me take a WRX next time (lol!).

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 01:52:40 pm »
You guys should rent out a parking lot when it gets icy and do an winter driving autocross event.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 01:57:14 pm »
Maybe they'll let me take a WRX next time (lol!).

One can only hope and dream, eh? :)
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline Rachelle

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 02:00:07 pm »
You guys should rent out a parking lot when it gets icy and do an winter driving autocross event.

Ooh, that may be an awesome idea!!!

We do plan to host a Subaru rally 'scavenger' event in the next year when we get our new building. We'd invite all Alberta Subaru lovers for an awesome event and sweet prizes. I think it'd be great fun.

One can only hope and dream, eh? :)

I think it's better that they don't let me.  >:D

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STI'15 - Airboy Tuned
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 03:40:34 pm »
I bought my sti at Scott Subaru... I would recommend them to everyone... Edmonton dealerships are terrible...
I wish that Scott Subaru open in Edmonton, so I do not need to drive to Red Deer for my oil changes... 

Offline Stage2

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • http://www.stage2clothing.ca/
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 04:39:52 pm »
Welcome!
Anthony Nagendraraj
Stage 2 Clothing
Tel: (306)999-2655
www.stage2clothing.ca