Author Topic: Carolina Reaper growing  (Read 1554 times)

Jesse.Korpan

Carolina Reaper growing
« on: October 25, 2014, 07:32:53 am »
Hello Folks,

I just ordered some Carolina Reaper seeds and potting mix and I am going to try and grow my own. Being that we live in Alberta and they have a relatively slow germination / growing phase I would like to start these indoors until they are weathered enough to put up with out ittshay weather in the spring then start to move them outside.

Any tips for growing veggies/chilies indoors? I'm currently looking at a height adjustable light stand and timing switch and possibly a pad heater like for geckos and stuff as the plants will be grown in the basement over winter and its always cold down there.

I hate the thought but I'm sure some people might think I am buying stuff to grow pot or something lol.

Also if anyone locally wants to try one once they grow let me know and I should be able to hook you up with one.

I might also use this thread as a blog about the trials and tribulations in case anyone cares to grown their own.

This is the pepper in question.

my favorite safe for work eating of it.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
Re: Carolina Reaper growing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:34:42 am »
Are these hotter than ghost chili peppers?

My dad grows all sorts of hot peppers in his greenhouse in the summer time. He usually starts the seeds in February or March in the basement with flourescent grow lights on all the time. When it stops freezing overnight they get transplanted into bigger pots in the greenhouse. By the time the freeze comes in the fall most things in there are pretty big and ready for harvest.

I'm not sure if you need the heater, but I'm sure it won't hurt especially if your basement is really cold. My dad's light stand is home made from some 2x4's and chains to adjust the light height as the seedlings grow.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 12:19:50 pm »
Make sure to keep it somewhere that the flies cant get to it, i started all my herbs last winter and bugs got the best of them.
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Jesse.Korpan

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 01:55:39 pm »
Are these hotter than ghost chili peppers?

If you put much stock into the Scoville scale this is how it stacks up.

3,500 SHU for Jalapeno , 100,000 SHU for Habanero , 970,000 SHU for the hottest type of Ghost pepper and a crazy 1,500,000 for the Carolina Reaper with some special strains of it reaching up to 1.8 million. It has been classified as the worlds hottest pepper by Guinness this year.

I was thinking of making the same kinda thing as well A.J as these pepper plants grow pretty big ( 5 feet tall by 4 feet wide apparently)

I was also thinking of using something like a mosquito net over top to keep bugs out.