Author Topic: Things to do near Parksville/Qualicum Beach?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX Sport CVT (CBS)
Things to do near Parksville/Qualicum Beach?
« on: October 25, 2014, 07:43:08 pm »
I know there's that market with goats on the roof (though they're off the roof now that it's autumn) in Coombs, and there's a cheese factory nearby.  Any other good suggestions for places to check out in Parksville and nearby?
Because... hoodscoop.  :P

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Re: Things to do near Parksville/Qualicum Beach?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:41:27 pm »
Rathtrevor Beach is nice...

Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:28:07 pm »
Cool - we're going to be staying a bit further up 19A from there, so it's a place that we can definitely stop by.  Thanks for the suggestion!  :)

Offline Rene G

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatch
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:09:19 pm »
There's a bald eagle sanctuary and Englishman falls to check out.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:40:09 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Where is the bald eagle sanctuary located?  My fiancée likes bald eagles, and if there was a place where we could see them (even a few), I think she'd definitely be willing to take the effort to check them out.  It'd also certainly make for a "successful" trip for her.  ;)

Offline Rene G

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 10:52:07 am »
I can't remember exactly where the eagle sanctuary is. I know it's near Coombs though. There's also Cathedral Grove, it's a park with a bunch of huge ceder trees.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 05:02:49 pm »
I think we might have inadvertently found it today.  ;)  Is it the North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre?  They had a bunch of eagles (bald and golden), as well as owls and falcons.

Offline Rene G

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 09:56:03 pm »
That must be it!

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 12:19:36 pm »
We were hoping to go birdwatching at Rathtrevor today (following a free but organized tour group), but BC Parks (or Hydro, not sure which) closed the access route, probably because of the winds here.  Major letdown.

Offline Way_Gone

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2014 WRB STI Tsurugi
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 05:00:22 pm »
Cathedral Grove is a must if you're driving through the area, always been a favorite stop of mine.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:12:29 pm »
We're back in Vancouver now.  :)

Cathedral Grove - we went there on our way back from Tofino.  However, it doesn't sit very well with my fiancée, mainly because we were there before her father passed away, and she still hasn't come to terms with her father's passing.

Side note: we were in Rathtrevor today.  So many flies - there were easily a couple hundred stuck to the bulletin board at the lower parking lot.  Very uckfaying gross - probably a dead animal nearby.  We turned and ran back to our car, hightailed it out of there to Nanaimo.   :o

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:57:03 am »
Just as a postscript for anyone who happens to stumble upon this thread in days (months? years?) to come, I have the following food suggestions:

- Kalvas was good for a nice dinner.  They have a semi-standard menu, but their seafood is fresh and prepared well.  Cozy atmosphere.  Good service.  They're closed Monday nights (they only do dinner service), and are situated at Hwy 19A x Moilliet (about 2 traffic lights north of Hwy 4A).

- Cuckoo in Coombs (Italian restaurant hidden in the middle of the Coombs Country Market, where those goats usually hang out on the roof of the market) was very good for lunch, and I trust their dinner service is fantastic.  The server was quite lost (literally - the manager had to serve us initially), but the food was excellently prepared and very tasty.  They're hidden in behind the market in a white building.  Worth seeking out.

- Chameleon's at McMillan and Hwy 19A (hidden between two BMO storefronts) was where we had dinner the night before we left, and the food was fresh and freshly prepared.  The only lament I have of this place is that it's unfortunate the cook doesn't taste his own food - bland, bland, bland.  It's almost as if the cook thinks of seasoning as a naughty word.  However, the service was great, and the food was good, just lacking seasoning.  Only open for lunch and dinner.

- Lefty's (beside the Thrifty's Foods on Hwy 19A) was also self-advertised a "fresh food" joint, and although their menu seems a bit eccentric at times, the food is actually quite good, and the portions were sizeable.  Open for all 3 mealtimes.

- Bread and Honey was a last-minute good find on our part.  We had scones there, which were freshly made, of perfect consistency, and very tasty.  They make a sweet(ish) scone and a savoury scone every day; they have a facebook page that they update every morning.  We arrived too early for their sandwiches; they make some very interestingly matched sandwich offerings, but we didn't get to try them.  It's hidden away at Harrison (2 streets west of Hwy 19A) between McMillan to the north and Hwy 4A to the south, next to a craft store.  They close at 3pm (unless they have a Dr's appt, which they did the day before we finally got to try them).

For the price we paid vs. the food quality we got, I'd keep away from Bayside Bistro (at the Quality Inn on Hwy 19A at Dogwood).  The food is ok (as in edible), but they charge high-end prices.

One other place worth checking out is the Little Qualicum Cheeseworks.  Lots of cheese and some fruit wines that are made there.  The cheeses can be sampled (and the wines can be tasted), and there are no shortage of cheese samples available.