Author Topic: Help with an HID Retro fit swap !!!  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Black WRX Sedan "B-Rex"
Help with an HID Retro fit swap !!!
« on: October 30, 2014, 04:13:31 pm »
Hey Guys,

I am doing a HID retrofit for my 2006 WRX headlights.

i am so lost right now and i need some help i have baked and opened the lights. i am trying to disassemble the projector but i am having problems removing the part holding the lens.

this chrome from the housing here:

Unfortunately, I have also cracked the High beam reflector trying to follow some instruction on Nasioc.

I am not sure what to do and need some help, I am willing to go anywhere in the city (Edmonton) for assistant and am free every morning until Monday.

thanks
Randy

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Re: Help with an HID Retro fit swap !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:38:48 pm »
Did your HID retrofit kit come with Subaru specific adapters bracket for your lens?

That will let the lense fit onto your housing.  The adapters from The Retrofit Source for my LGT looks like this:

One side bolts onto the lense assy, the other side bolts onto the housing.  Sorta like this:

You can see the metal bracket sammiched between the lens assy and the housing.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 04:41:06 pm »
they did they are on the projectors already.

when you did you install where the holes on the plate big enough to fit the screw bolts through? mine are not i think i am going to drill out the holes on the plate to get them to fit property.

i think that maybe the issue.

i am starting to think i don't need to remove the chrome piece from the housing.

Offline rs_two_five

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 04:54:10 pm »
Unfortunately, I have also cracked the High beam reflector trying to follow some instruction on Nasioc.

I am not sure what to do and need some help, I am willing to go anywhere in the city (Edmonton) for assistant and am free every morning until Monday.

thanks
Randy

Randy,

First off the bad news.. the crack going around the chrome assembly probably can't be fixed.. there will be no strength in the base which you'll need to re-assemble the headlight.. which will result in a assembly which will not be able to be aimed correctly for both low and high beam.. or worse.. your headlight beam will bounce around uncontrollably..

I'd start looking for a new headlight.

----------------------------------------------

Ok.. second.. the info for next time.. Here's how you remove the chrome without breaking anything..

Start with the top corner with a carbide bit or sanding drum.. (not a drill) and bore one hole and notch the housing to expose the little #2 phillips screws holding the pivot to the backshell.. (marked by two small red dots)

Next.. apply some gentile inward pressure on the two black clip tabs (2 per) around the beam adjusters screw.. pull lightly and chrome reflector will separate from the black clip..

The black clip stays with the adjusting screw.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 04:59:34 pm »

when you did you install where the holes on the plate big enough to fit the screw bolts through? mine are not i think i am going to drill out the holes on the plate to get them to fit property.

yes, they did.. there were two sets of screws with my kit..  the ones to mount the lense assy to the adapter to the back weren't long enough though, so I got new screws from Home Depot.

I reused the stock screws to mount the bracket to the chrome housing.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:00:46 pm »
I've taken mine apart before and didn't need to drill or cut anything out. I used a metal trim removal tool to pry it out of the socket. Worked every time.

Good news is I have a set of headlights I can sell you. They already have projectors retrofitted. Only downside is that the outside lens isn't very pretty. Message me if you're interested. If you do end up just buying them for the bowl, I can show you what you need to do to get it out safely.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:44:24 pm »
I would just need the one light housing. Pm me a price.

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:33:54 pm »
Randy,

First off the bad news.. the crack going around the chrome assembly probably can't be fixed.. there will be no strength in the base which you'll need to re-assemble the headlight.. which will result in a assembly which will not be able to be aimed correctly for both low and high beam.. or worse.. your headlight beam will bounce around uncontrollably..

I'd start looking for a new headlight

Honestly the low beam housing is still structurally intact but the highbeam is a concern.

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:05:01 pm »
i ended up getting another Headlight and drilling the holes to get to the screws, job completed.

Thanks for your help guys.

Offline rs_two_five

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:23:33 pm »
awesome, glad to hear it worked.  So quick question, but do you still have a undamaged or modified inner shroud from the broken headlight?

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 07:47:00 pm »
So I started with 2 stock headlight and one extra headlight with a missing mounting bracket on the housing(spare) .

During the install I broke one projector mounting bracket.

So I took the projector mounting  bracket from my spare light.

So after the install I have 2 retrofitted headlights and 1 spare headlight where only the lense and the reflectors is good. The projector mounting bracket and the headlight mounting bracket is broken.

Hope that is clear. Lol

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 10:11:32 pm »
pics please :)
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube