Author Topic: Orion Mk II - Smokey and the Bandit  (Read 14595 times)

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
  • Ride: 13 DGM STI, 03 Forester 2.5X, 01 Forester S, 92 Justy
Orion Mk II - Smokey and the Bandit
« on: November 09, 2014, 09:24:38 PM »
So I figured it was high time I put something together, because I'm pretty much done everything on the "look cool quick' menu. Major mechanical probably won't be for a while, but I'm hoping for some little things here and there in the meantime.

Modifications
Installed
Not installed yet
Planned for the future

Interior
Map lighting
Dome lighting

SMY Cluster w 2x gauge pod
Defi Oil Temp gauge
Defi Boost pressure gauge
Broadway convex rearview mirror
Weathertech mats front and back
Pioneer single din head unit
Center console/armrest extension

Exterior
Side marker lighting
License plate lighting
Backup lighting
Front LED pods
R205 black badging
Front and back emblem overlays
Side carbon fiber overlays
VHT Nightshade painted taillights
Hella Supertones w/ Subimods bracket and harness
Front polyurethane lip
Red grille pinstriping
Rally armour mudflaps
20% tint rear/ 30% tint front
De-badged stock badging
OEM Rain guards
Couple stickers (+5 hp each!)
Rep Varis wing
AWM Front push bumper w/ lights

Go fast bits/performance upgrades
Accessport
Invidia q300 catback exhaust
Killer B Oil pickup
Invidia downpipe
Cold air intake
Stage 1 tune
;D

Suspension, wheels
Wheel spacers, 10 or 15mm
Summer
Motegi MR 116 rims 18x9, Continental DWS06 tires
Winter
OEM STI Enkei wheels 18 x 8.5, Hakka 8 studded winter tires

Maintenance Items:

-Oil changed roughly every 5k-8k km (last at 138,000)
-New timing belt installed by VEX @ 97,000km
-New diff fluid, trans fluids, and coolant @ 98,400 km

Recent pictures!

Orion MK II
by Tim Hintz, on Flickr

Offline Stealthbombing

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: BMW 135i M
Re: I named my car Orion. Talk me out of it.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:32:44 PM »
car looks great, any overlays on the rear lights ? i have the smoke grey ones and they look awesome. Sucks you have to live with that horrendous tune if your under factory warranty...

id suggest getting a Killer B oil pickup as the next mod, better now than needing it when the OEM cracks and you spin a bearing
*** PM Me for quotes on parts for wholesale price !!***
Stella -
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=47765.msg579306#msg579306

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: Blue V8, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 09:33:38 PM »
Super clean car!

Pretty sure I'm done with cosmetic things.. May even take some off...

I recommend taking off the lip for the winter.  GR bumpers don't hold up to bumps and bruises very well and the more clearance you can give it, the better. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »
car looks great, any overlays on the rear lights ? i have the smoke grey ones and they look awesome. Sucks you have to live with that horrendous tune if your under factory warranty...

id suggest getting a Killer B oil pickup as the next mod, better now than needing it when the OEM cracks and you spin a bearing

I did forget that I sprayed the taillights with VHT nightshade.. was considering vinyl but cost wise I decided spray. Gonna give it a refresh once the sun comes back.

I've been reading a lot into the oil pickups lately actually, that's a good call. Many a horror story.

Yeah, it does make more sense to take it off, I'll probably do that before I have to deal with any kind of rush hour.

Before

First thing I did was lights. The stock taillights are terrible. The worst. Decided on a quick fix (VHT nightshade) that I've actually been pretty impressed with. And then came the tint.

New horns. Used the existing bracket to lower the horns a bit

New badging! Black > Silver

Rain guards! Haven't used them yet, but they look cool. Saw them on a similar GR in red deer during a drive north and thought they were swell.

These I figured were pretty mandatory. Was thinking reds but didn't happen.

Only problem I have with these, was having to take out the bracket holding the original one, because of fitment. Holes were much wider spaced, but really it was one bolt and now they work perfect.

Went with these for 2 reasons. Red accents, and less spokes to clean.

Then I proceeded to add even more things.

The black on carbon fiber, I feel, is kind of lame. But gimme a break... I was trying to make the colours match. They aren't all that bad, and they've held up to many washes and at least 2 snow piles. May get a film on em if they can manage the winter.

These are completely useless. No use whatsoever, look kinda neat, and add unnecessary weight. But they were cheap, and again have held pretty good. Will probably not buy again.

My justification for buying this thing, was the car that I saw when I knew I would own one. Wasn't this crappy, but the look it gave that car vs stock drove me nuts for some reason. Car needed to look meaner and it did the trick. I'm thinking of leaving it in the winter in hopes of being the difference between a broken bumper due to winter debris. Doubt it'll help really, but that's the science I have to go off so far.

And then this happened.

Which lead to this

Ordered an invidia q300 through Vex. Well worth the wait!

It may get wheel spacers to get a little wider but I'm too lazy to look up what I should and should not be looking for in regards to those. Being my first car worth 'investing' in, I'm pretty green in regards to a lot of the aftermarket aspects of these things, but I've managed so far.
I really want to do more of the bushing/ secondary part overhauls next. Pretty sure I'm done with cosmetic things.. May even take some off. Long term plans see it maybe being slightly lower, wider. Powertrain warranties will be the judge of any real performance changes. Only have 145,000 km left!

The site has been a priceless resource for learning and finding things, and I'm stoked to be part of the kind of community that comes with it.  :)

Offline Stealthbombing

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »
I did forget that I sprayed the taillights with VHT nightshade.. was considering vinyl but cost wise I decided spray. Gonna give it a refresh once the sun comes back.

I've been reading a lot into the oil pickups lately actually, that's a good call. Many a horror story.

Yeah, it does make more sense to take it off, I'll probably do that before I have to deal with any kind of rush hour.

yeah take the lip off now before they start laying the salt on the roads, i can't get mine off and i have the side skirt extensions, the bolts are way too rusted and are all stripped...
Stella -

Offline RedBimmer93

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 10:08:50 PM »
Thats a sick sti. I like the theme you have going of "black with red accents" lol.

When i forst glanced at your thread, I thought you said you had named your car onion. I think you should name it that instead, haha (i hope that talks you out of orion for you.... if not, maybe i will name my car onion :P)

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »
Thanks guys!
I'm surprised how few DGM subies I've seen, and strangely enough they're consistently around my house when I see them. Black and red have always been my favorites so I did it naturally.  ;D

I've ordered the oil pickup! Glancing over the reviews and such it's a pretty simple install, I'll hopefully get around to installing my boost/oil temp defi gauge w/ cluster at about the same time.
Quick question, this pickup doesn't void any kind of warranty does it? The wife's guiding my upgrade choices with constant questions about it.

Offline Stealthbombing

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
Thanks guys!
I'm surprised how few DGM subies I've seen, and strangely enough they're consistently around my house when I see them. Black and red have always been my favorites so I did it naturally.  ;D

I've ordered the oil pickup! Glancing over the reviews and such it's a pretty simple install, I'll hopefully get around to installing my boost/oil temp defi gauge w/ cluster at about the same time.
Quick question, this pickup doesn't void any kind of warranty does it? The wife's guiding my upgrade choices with constant questions about it.

I believe that it shouldn't void warranty as long as no engine problems arise from incorrectly installing it. The install is pretty straight forward it can be tricky though and you also need to re seal your oil pan.  Question for you what kind of gauge pod do you have ive been looking for a simple boost gauge pod for my GR
Stella -

Offline Cagare

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 S2000, 2012 Tundra, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »
Quick question, this pickup doesn't void any kind of warranty does it?

That's a loaded question.  It probably shouldn't but you do open yourself up to scrutiny if you have an engine problem due to oil starvation or a similar issue.  I have no personal experience with warranty claims wrt oil pickups so this is my opinion only.  If you want an accurate answer you should probably check with the dealer or Subaru Canada.

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 05:51:08 PM »
Cool, thanks guys! I'll do some more research on it while I'm at camp for the next week :( Figures it snows and I get 2 days of play before I get shipped out again.

Question for you what kind of gauge pod do you have ive been looking for a simple boost gauge pod for my GR
I went with the SMY Cluster
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/SMY-ClusterMaker-SMYCLSTR1-Dual-Gauge-Pod-52mm
Really clean fitment from the pics I've seen. And it matches texture pretty damn well. I've heard a couple complaints about the signal arm being in the way etc but that's really just positioning your column properly I would assume.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »
Cool, thanks guys! I'll do some more research on it while I'm at camp for the next week :( Figures it snows and I get 2 days of play before I get shipped out again.

Really clean fitment from the pics I've seen. And it matches texture pretty damn well. I've heard a couple complaints about the signal arm being in the way etc but that's really just positioning your column properly I would assume.

Those pods are great (I have the 02-07 one because... that's the car :P ). I don't find anything is in the way and it's better than having the pillar pod set up. Less stuff to take apart.
Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline cha0tik

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '14 IS350 F-Sport | 2003 S2000
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 10:15:47 PM »

Yeah, the signal arm will be in the way if the column is pushed toward the dash at its maximum point. I like to drive with the steering wheel closer to me, so it hasn't been an issue for me either.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

To err is human, to arr is pirate.

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 01:00:43 AM »
I've also heard of cutting down the front 5mm of the pod to get it sitting closer as well.

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
Back home today,  exhaust has arrived and goes on tomorrow! I want to unbox it like a happy little schoolgirl myself, but I'm gonna let vex do it. Anyone have any tips for winter care? I'm only really curious about the titanium tips.. I don't imagine theres much else that particularly needs much maintenance. It's the invidia q300 if it matters.

Super stoked to be behind the wheel again, and be slightly more annoying to my neighbours!   >:D

Offline cha0tik

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '14 IS350 F-Sport | 2003 S2000
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
Back home today,  exhaust has arrived and goes on tomorrow! I want to unbox it like a happy little schoolgirl myself, but I'm gonna let vex do it. Anyone have any tips for winter care? I'm only really curious about the titanium tips.. I don't imagine theres much else that particularly needs much maintenance. It's the invidia q300 if it matters.

Super stoked to be behind the wheel again, and be slightly more annoying to my neighbours!   >:D

The Q300 isn't overly loud, so your neighbours won't hate you. You do get more grunt when you step on it on the highway. It's definitely more pronounced than the stock piece, but not enough to really tick off your neighbours if/when you start your car early in the morning on weekends. Yes, I'm speaking from experience  :-[
My 2016 Subaru WRX

To err is human, to arr is pirate.

Offline Stealthbombing

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »
The Q300 isn't overly loud, so your neighbours won't hate you. You do get more grunt when you step on it on the highway. It's definitely more pronounced than the stock piece, but not enough to really tick off your neighbours if/when you start your car early in the morning on weekends. Yes, I'm speaking from experience  :-[

This is the whole reason why i went with the N1 instead, Without a downpipe the Q300 is pretty tame.
Stella -

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
Ah well that's probably for the best. Once I can start throwing some real goodies at it, it will be getting at least a downpipe and a tune. Just more to look forward to I guess!

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 09:28:53 PM »
Today was fun....
Gonna get one ready for the calendar :) Today couldn't have worked more perfectly. Came around to the location just as the sun was putting some awesome down on the mountains. Weekend for the books!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 10:11:31 PM »
Wow, those look great. I think you mentioned that you have the Tokina lens? Or was it the sigma?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »
I have the sigma. Used a 24-70 for those though. :)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 10:18:58 PM »
Where's the first one taken at?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 05:27:42 PM »
Just outside of banff,  going right instead of left to go into town.

Offline bzimms

• Stubbly Faced
  • EMILIO!!!
  • Ride: 98 JDM Sti Ver 4
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
The red accent with black looks very good.
Especially on the rims.

How are those studded tires working out?
Uber-fun?!?!
(thinking of getting mine studded)

Also, I laughed out lot when I saw the "onion" / "orion" comment.
 ;D

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
The hakkas are amaze-balls! I've not been able to play with this last snow fall, but they're sooo good.
Onion is a great name!  But there's no real association I can think of to justify it.. So it'll stay as Orion.  ;D

Offline DaDuke99

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • For the Swarm!
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 07:03:30 PM »
So this is how my day went.

Long story short, some asshat tried to intimidate his way into the merge lane on deerfoot NB coming from 17th. His lane had already been cut off, but he insisted on driving right beside me nonetheless. Eventually the lane got skinny enough (with the piles of ice on either side not helping) that he clipped what I think was my wheel, and his bumper kinda dug into the well. Car feels fine I think... these things are loud and clanky enough as it is.  ???
Thinking of just going through insurance recommended shop FixAuto, brought the car there for the front end in oct '13 and they did a solid job.
Also the rim got a fair amount of rashes from it! Not too sure if insurance gives 2 uckfays about that though.... ANyone have any recommendations on how to make it look alright again? Gonna give the car a light wash tomorrow, just to check for any other scuffs and whatnot.

*sigh*