Author Topic: FEAL coilovers for the GD  (Read 6367 times)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
FEAL coilovers for the GD
« on: November 10, 2014, 11:55:52 am »
So as many of you know due to my constant itchbaying about it, the suspension options available especially for the 2005-2007 sti's is pretty itshay. 

Now that it is finally cold enough for me to do a good review about feal its time I do it.

Jory has the standard feal coils and while good, they are not quite as good as what I had Odi make me.  I have his gravel spec 441 coilovers with tarmac valving.  Adjusted to 14inchs hub centre to fender ride height. 

The rates are 6k up front and 4k in the rear.  I never even installed the adjusters. They are that good out of the box.  There's a little bit of body roll (tiny) that seems to make the car way more fun to drive too.

They seem largely unaffected by cold.  And are worth every penny. 

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away and if you want a drive in em just ask me when you see me at a meet.   

Hopefully Haplo will chime in as he has the same setup minus sway bars.  Its actually that good.

-  for those newer members: I tried six different combinations of struts and springs including the fabled ohlins, prodrive reds and a few others.  This setup I'm on now rides better then stock.

Ride height installed with no adjustment at all

Offline poopeebum

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: FEAL coilovers for the GD
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:27:17 pm »
cool i was wondering how the feal coilovers are doing in the colder weather as i was considering ordering them in the spring. Seems like they're doing better than my RSR coilovers in cold weather haha. My RSR coilovers were set at 18-20 clicks (mid range) in the summer and it was perfect. colder weather i do notice it gets quite stiff -10 deg. to 10 deg seem to require even softer setting 30 clicks (almost full soft) its currently -15 deg. right now and after i get home i will set it at full soft.

do you know if Feal used any special grease or oil for the coilovers you ordered to winterize it? or is it more springs & valving that would affect cold weather dampening?
2005 WRX Wagon with Saab bodykit

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 03:25:34 pm »
i havent adjusted anything since feal sent em to me.  neither height or damping

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 06:33:35 pm »
I'm also really impressed with how little the cold effects the suspension performance of the 441's compared to my old BC's even with my "out of the box" setup from Feal. I've had mine on for a little over a year of daily driving now and zero complaints or problems.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:02:59 am »
I love my 441's, even in the winter. The 441's combined with winter tires, make it feal like a normal car on the road.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 10:17:27 am »
I love my 441's, even in the winter. The 441's combined with winter tires, make it feal like a normal car on the road.

Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 10:33:23 am »
I'm also really impressed with how little the cold effects the suspension performance of the 441's compared to my old BC's even with my "out of the box" setup from Feal. I've had mine on for a little over a year of daily driving now and zero complaints or problems.

left it parked outside overnight last night at my gf's in -25.  it got a little stiffer.... but it loosened up after a bit of driving.  Still very pleased.

Yes i am aware thats excellent quote of the day material

TWSS

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 10:47:20 am »
Jeff keeps harassing Haplo to post a review. I think his exact words were "Yeah, whatever Jeff wrote"
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 07:42:22 am »
So since johnny has bought a set of "Jeff's" i figured i should post the photo i have of them instead of just a text review thread.  Big springs on these fellas

Offline whintersan

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 07 STI
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 12:51:22 pm »
Damnit Jeff. This thread popped back up and made me think someone was selling a set.

So much want.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 01:33:35 pm »
I might have to look into getting a set of these. I was thinking about running swift fozzy springs, and Koni inserts, group n top hats etc etc. But the price ends up being damn close to just getting a set of these, plus the headache of dicking around with the inserts, painting the strut housings etc etc.

Do they have specs for max ride height vs stock? And travel? These look like they could meet my goal of fozzy coilovers at similar to stock height.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 01:35:09 pm »
Honestly, Odi, the guy who builds these, is the best person to ask. He's awesome at answering questions, and because he builds them when you order them, you can customize them (thus the "Jeff's")

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 08:32:38 pm »
Well, since the cat's out of the bag, I purchased mine on the Monday after Black Friday.  It wasn't a Cyber Monday sale, but just the ongoing Black Friday weekend thing going.  I never spoke to Odi, but John was very helpful on the phone.  Odi later replied to an email of mine and everything was assembled and shipped in two days time. 

Which reminds me...  I should check my mailbox.  They did say they'd send me a tracking number, but never did.

On a sad note, the day after I ordered them, my boss told me they might not have funds to pay staff for December LOL #brushingoffresume
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Black WRX Sedan "B-Rex"
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 01:29:10 pm »
this is a little old, but I was wondering if you could let me know the cost of the Feals and some details of what you asked for (PM if you don't want to broadcast it). canehdianJ mentioned you went with
gravel spec 441 coilovers with tarmac valving.  Adjusted to 14inchs hub centre to fender ride height. 

The rates are 6k up front and 4k in the rear.

Did you goes with these because you felt the gravel spec was better suited for the winter and more durable? also for ride height I am running stock struts with RCE yellow I think I bought from you way back. I find that the ride height is a little low and would love to bring it up by maybe a 0.25 to 0.5". Did Odi adjust the ride height for you when he designed the coilover.

right now I was thinking about going Koni inserts + RCE blacks or Yellows. as my current stock strut + yellows is a bit rough.

the setup is all for DD.

Thanks

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 05:40:28 pm »
He went with this primarily as an experiment to remove the bobble head.  It worked :p

Their pricing is on the website, and they can adjust ride height for you.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 08:51:30 am »
Thanks for the response are all 441 gravel spec? or is that something you have to ask for ?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 09:02:25 am »
Thanks for the response are all 441 gravel spec? or is that something you have to ask for ?

I got the "off the shelf" 441's. They are tarmac spec. CanehdianJ/jellynuts/Heplo90 got the "modified" ones. They are gravel spec w/ Tarmac valving, and softer springs.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 10:23:06 am »

they came completely adjusted and i put them in, let them settle and have never touched them since.  the ride is better then a stock 2015 wrx and thats with my 25mm sway bars.

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 10:29:43 am »
does the gravel look any different than the regular? They mention "We also use slightly longer shock shafts and or shock bodies." would this be better for are pothole and snow infested roads ?

I am looking to make a purchase when the exchange rate gets better than the gross $1.23 CDN to $1 USD

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 10:31:27 am »
The gravel has more travel, and is taller, which means you can't go as low.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 10:33:41 am »
so the reason i chose the gravel ones was the spring rates are lower. 

for reference a

KWV3 front spring rate - 8k progressive
KWV3 rear spring rate - 6k Progressive

Feal 441's - 7/5k non progressive

Feal Gravel 441's 6k/4k non progressive

It also increased the travel length and spring length.  My car is still lowered... but by no more then 1/2 inch.  you cannot slam the car on the gravel coilovers.    The best part is that the feals are pretty much uneffected by weather.

Im an old man and wanted a dd'ish suspension.

NOTES:

i have tried

OEM struts with Prodrive Reds
Ohlins With prodrive reds
Ohlins with RCE blacks
OEM

All of these were WAY shittier then the FEALS

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 10:35:35 am »
so the reason i chose the gravel ones was the spring rates are lower. 

for reference a

KWV3 front spring rate - 8k progressive
KWV3 rear spring rate - 6k Progressive

Feal 441's - 7/5k non progressive

Feal Gravel 441's 6k/4k non progressive

It also increased the travel length and spring length.  My car is still lowered... but by no more then 1/2 inch.  you cannot slam the car on the gravel coilovers.    The best part is that the feals are pretty much uneffected by weather.

Im an old man and wanted a dd'ish suspension.

That's basically what I am looking for. I am tried of jarring suspension but still want to get something with good handling.

thanks for answering my questions.

Phr00t

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 10:57:24 am »
Do the Feal Gravels have independent ride height adjustment? Or will it always slam the car? Been considering getting some gravel 441s to race on, I either hear good things or not so good things (mostly about their durability)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 10:58:33 am »
Do the Feal Gravels have independent ride height adjustment? Or will it always slam the car? Been considering getting some gravel 441s to race on, I either hear good things or not so good things (mostly about their durability)

They're coilovers, so yes, they are height adjustable (when I first installed my tarmacs, I had enough room to fit a coke can, standing up, between my tire/fender).

He said you _can't_ slam the car on the gravels.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 11:45:51 am »
The ride is better then a stock 2015 wrx and thats with my 25mm sway bars.

I'll chime in on this since we did a back to back comparo. The stock suspension in a 2015 WRX is rather stiff, can be jarring and can ride rather harshly. It handles well, but it definitely doesn't soak up any bumps. You feel everything. In contrast, the Feals were extremely well damped, they smoothed out the bumps and potholes very well, however they still felt connected and planted, not at all floaty like many cars that have good damping but aren't tuned for handling. You still feel everything, but you don't get that jarring blast back at you when you hit a pothole or imperfection in the road. If you we're looking for something to use exclusively on smooth roads/tracks, I'd think you wouldn't need the extra damping. However, with the state of roads in Alberta, they seem like an excellent balance of damping and road holding.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography